Add "Lock All" option to cyborg console in RD's office

ProperPants

Anyone who has played during a rogue AI round has certainly heard the calls for "Blow all borgs!" coming from frightened crew. For those who don't know, the Research Director's office has a console that can monitor cyborgs. In case of emergency, those with access to the console can either lock down or detonate an individual cyborg. Additionally, there is an option to detonate all cyborgs, which requires the user to press one button to arm the device, then another button to actually detonate.

My issue/suggestion comes here:
It's possible to blow up one cyborg, or blow them all up.
It's possible to lock down one cyborg... and that's it? You can't lock them all down.

I suggest a button to lock down all cyborgs in the case of rogue AI or other emergencies. It seems like a no-brainer idea, and I would imagine the coding difficulty is low. The "Lock All" button should specifically be above the "Detonate All" button. In a panic, if you aren't thinking with 100% of your mental faculties, you'll be looking for your first option. Since locking all is less destructive than detonating all, it should be first.

Additionally, the design should be a two button system, similar to the interface that the AI and cyborgs see when they click on doors. For those who don't know, the door interface for the AI is a list of options and the state an option is in.
For example, "Door Bolts:   |Raised|    |Lowered|"
So for my suggestion, I'm proposing something like "Full Lockdown:   |Unlocked|     |Locked|" Unlocked is before locked in this case because (I'm fairly certain) the convention for these types of toggles is for the "good" toggle to be first and the "bad" toggle to be second.
It would also be nice if the "unlocked" button was green and had a open padlock symbol before the word unlocked. Similarly, the "locked" button should be red with a closed padlock symbol before the word locked.

I'm not at home right now, so I can't take screenshots to show what I mean, but I think I described it well enough that people should understand.

If you see any reason that such an option should not be added, please state why.
If you support the idea but have an alternate suggestion to the layout, please describe it, or better yet, make a little drawing of it.

• Like 3

...It never occurred to me that that's why they're more likely to get blown up than all locked down. It makes me wonder why that option was never there in the first place. 

I think this idea is genius and a code monkey should code it asapers.

This would be a good addition, considering the removal of all active borgs is more convenient then locking them all down, which should be the other way around.

Maybe make it so that they have to enter a  12 digits long number code to initiate selfdestruct sequence. So selfdestruct would be used less and not everybody can blow them up if  the get somehow access to a console. The Code could be requested or rd and captain have one part if them. Like nuclear missiles in the real world.

Edited by BiberDark
selfdestruct not lockdown

2 hours ago, BiberDark said:

Maybe make it so that they have to enter a  12 digits long number code to initiate selfdestruct sequence. So selfdestruct would be used less and not everybody can blow them up if  the get somehow access to a console. The Code could be requested or rd and captain have one part if them. Like nuclear missiles in the real world.

This idea has its merits, but I disagree with it. In the real world, you can't un-nuke a place so extra security makes sense. But even if you detonate all cyborgs, the positronic brain (or MMI) remains intact, so they could be rebuilt after the AI is fixed. Additionally, on the off-chance the AI didn't start its incursion by turning off power in the RD's office, precious seconds count, and you don't want to waste them rummaging for a code or waiting for someone to say it on comms.

All this being said, if someone is able to code a full lockdown option, your point and my opinion of it become much less relevant, because there will be a better, non-destructive option that is instantly reversible (by simply unlocking the borgs).

Lock all should be reversible so security not as heavy as on a nuke... though I wonder if perhaps there should be a way for the AI to get around that. Once it's engaged, the AI has no hands to work with, for good or bad. Maybe as a traitor AI buying the power to do so a couple times as one more power it can choose?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use