Improving Station Goals

Purpose2

I've heard a mix of things about the recently added station goals, ranging from "meh" to "eh".

I'd like this thread to be a brainstorm of thoughts/feelings about station goals... how we can make them better? Suggestions of things to add? Make things easier? Harder? More rewarding? Less rewarding?

Currently they are the BSA, DNA vault and Station Shields.

I'll keep this updated as your suggestions roll in.

Bluespace Artillery:

1. A large 'object' is travelling towards the station. Too large for Station Shields. Construct the BSA to 'save' the station. Could detonate a larger than maxcap if they don't construct the BSA by a certain point.

DNA Vault

1. Construction (maybe by use of a multi-tool to carry the data) of the vault gets the DNA samples the cloner has scanned so far this shift. This'd make things easier.

Station Shields

1. Increase chance for Meteor events

Other

1. Reduce how often these goals are generated, once every 2-3 shifts instead of every shift?
Edited by Purpose2

When we have the Station Shield objective, make it so we have a much higher chance of meteors as an event. You can even flavour this into the announcement that get faxed to the station.

This'll help the station feel like there is a wider world, things are more impactful, and maybe people will actually try this objective. Also you can typically power only parts of the station at a time because its expensive power-wise to use. Having to run to the console to toggle it all on when you get the announcement would be awesome.

------------------

Make it so you don't -always- have a station goal. People have stopped bothering really because you get them every shift. Retain interest in them being increasing scarcity.

Edited by Purpose2

The huge problem with station goals is there's no end state, or reward for building them. The best "reward" is the DNA vault, but it takes so many people working together it almost never happens.

BSA tends to get used for griffo, or people just oops and blow up miners.

The station shield is......so obviously "Para coded" it's funny. DNA vault has a lot of cooperation needed to pull off.  BSA takes at least some skills at engineering.  Station shield is...."Build a console, drag some cargo ordered items into space.

These are all definite problems that I also see. But how would you suggest fixing them?

Remember there are no stupid ideas only stupid people ;)

Edited by Purpose2

I feel like the goals just give engineers something else to do. In reality many jobs entail repeating the same tasks over and over again every shift. I rarely play engineer  (like...I haven't since these objectives have existed) so if I was an engineer I'd be super psyched to build whatever the station objective is cuz I've never done it before.

I enjoy playing chemist but all I'm doing every shift is filling the fridge with the same stuff I did last time. BUT I only play chemist a few times a week so I don't start hating it. I do the same with genetics.

Also depends on command. I work Blueshield alot and some command staff are very invloved and care about every aspect of the station, some just do as much as is needed to l̶e̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶t̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶f̶a̶l̶l̶ ̶i̶n̶t̶o̶ ̶c̶h̶a̶o̶s̶ keep the station functioning.

Edited by ZN23X

Here's a few ideas:

-BSA: It needs to be constructed to destroy a large meteor/chunk of space debris heading for the station, if it isn't constructed towards the end of the round, the station is impacted and heavily damaged.

-DNA Vault: Constructing it will automatically (or manually with a multitool or something) sync all DNA samples in the vault to the cloning bay on station.

These changes would also add a motive for antags to hinder or disrupt the completion of these station goals, as they could take advantage of the chaos caused by the failure to construct them and their construction could end up making their own objectives harder.

Edited by Mass595
  • Like 2

These all seem sensible suggestions that add a fair amount of import to station goals. I especially enjoy that failure of these goals is met with a penalty.

• 1 month later...

I love the station goals; BSA in particular is good fun and I don't think it really needs changes as such but I like the idea of having goals to achieve once the objective itself is complete.

As general feedback, DNA vault requirements need a nerf. Crew is easy enough to scan, but animals and plants is really tough. Animals requires getting access to parts of the station like kitchen, HoP, genetics etc (or asking them to do it, which they usually won't), then ordering crates from cargo which takes forever or never happens due to lack of points or whatever, then you're short by a couple scans and you don't know where to go next. As for plants, this assumes botany aren't just growing ambrosia or cannabis the entire shift...

Regarding ideas:

1. Give the Meteor Shield a configurable shield that can be used to protect against other threats (an incoming swarm of Space Carp or combat drones, a Syndie scout ship sighted nearby - whatever).

2. BSA must be tested during a shift for the goal to be considered complete. Provide test targets, which could include an inbound vessel that's refusing to identify (for example).

3. X number of crew suddenly become infected with an unknown virus. Pandemic 2000 has no way of curing it even with samples. Only choice is to build and finish the DNA vault, and have everyone receive the cure it now provides. Failure to do so within X incubation period causes the virus to become active and start producing internal organ damage (and perhaps make a system virus version that affects IPCs, borgs and AI).

Could also add the department teleport system that science sometimes sets up as a station goal. 

Must place a telepad in each listed area (e.g. science, cargo, engineering, security) and have a central hub location in order to fulfil objectives. This actually affects everyone and although it can be solo'd, it's a nice system to have in place.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use