Forum post formatting.

Birdtalon

It seems that with this new forum software, creating a new line using the return key moves the cursor down two lines which means forum posts end up unnaturally long on the page. If you wish to go to the line below you have to use Shift + Enter. I am proposing that this be reversed to stop the stretching of the post.

Also, quotes with the Paradise theme seems to be a very dark grey text on an equally dark background when posting or editing posts which makes them far from easily readable when you're trying to create responses. Could maybe the default formatting be tweaked a bit to make the text clearer while you're posting.

Examples:

(Using just enter/return)

Line 1

Line 2

(Shift + Return)

Line 1
Line 2

Unreadable quote

quote.png

Edited by Birdtalon
Attached screenshot of quote.

That's how pretty much any software for writing documents works, since it allows you to use just a single return to get a new paragraph going.

I think the fact that we're forcing people to use proper punctuation outweights the longer posts.
New paragraphs written like this are awful.

Thinking about it maybe I'm just reeling from how things transferred from the old forum.

For example;

I'm just very used to pressing return twice to make a new paragraph as that's how I've done it all my life.

@FlattestGuitar

Shift + Enter to new line is because of messaging systems which also happen to utilize "enter" as "send message". It's got nothing to do with anything else and is only standard for these sorts of applications.

Standard behaviour is enter produces a line break (Which is why every proper-sized keyboard shows the return symbol on the enter key).

^ does not produce proper posts. That makes me want to pull my hair out any time I'm making a list and want single breaks for formatting.

People who make walls of text don't use the return key anyways, which makes your argument moot.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use