Change ALL vents to internal pressure checks

Anticept

This assumes "internal" means they check the pressure of their tile, and stop pumping when it's close to one atmosphere.

Changing all vents to internal by default, in all settings, and on the map, means a few things:

- We don't need an air alarm in every single little room or on both sides of every single divider. At present, a vent in a room without an air alarm will keep pumping air when the local zone's air alarm triggers. The pressures will reach obscene levels.

- Stops the oscillating pressure fluctuations that are caused by the slow equalization of LINDA.

- Plays better with LINDA, period.

If internal setting works like the way I said above, then ZAS would also benefit from it.

I can't even think of a reason not to use the internal setting.

I agree...

It seems to me that there is too many air alarms linked to the same vents...The Engineering Hallway or Toxin Mixing room for example Air Alarms share the same vents...its really bad.

Someone needs to make a UI or method so that Atmos can ID swipe a vent/scrubber and/or hacking these things to manually change what the vent is doing.

Also vent crawlining antags (xenos, swarmers, borerers, ect...) need a way to clear/unweld vents from outside.

This assumes "internal" means they check the pressure of their tile, and stop pumping when it's close to one atmosphere.

Changing all vents to internal by default, in all settings, and on the map, means a few things:

- We don't need an air alarm in every single little room or on both sides of every single divider. At present, a vent in a room without an air alarm will keep pumping air when the local zone's air alarm triggers. The pressures will reach obscene levels.

- Stops the oscillating pressure fluctuations that are caused by the slow equalization of LINDA.

- Plays better with LINDA, period.

It does not.

Internal means it's checking the pressure of the distro pipes/connected system. It's useful for when you're trying to fill a system with a certain volume or vent a certain amount of pressure out of pipes.

External checks the tile the vent is on, which creates the problems because of LINDA equalization being awful.

Internal does not do what you think it does in this scenario.

After testing and codediving, shadey is correct. MinOverpressurizing though, I have linked to temperature. While a room is slowly filling, the vents will never push out pressure higher than their setting under any circumstance, but there are cases where a room is still astoundingly cold. The air alarms will heat the tile they are on, which raises the pressure, and cascades throughout the room while the vents are pumping in. It's not severe however.

That said, it may be useful that scrubbers would also have a pressure check, and would slowly drain overpressures until they hit their target setting if at atmospheric alert is triggered (not a caution, an ALERT). In this manner, an area can be kept in a safe zone, but not cause a huge amount of fluctuation.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/5/2017 at 11:56 AM, Anticept said:

That said, it may be useful that scrubbers would also have a pressure check, and would slowly drain overpressures until they hit their target setting if at atmospheric alert is triggered (not a caution, an ALERT). In this manner, an area can be kept in a safe zone, but not cause a huge amount of fluctuation.

From a resource usage perspective you're doubling the calculations for every vent on the station. You have one vent checking that it can output air and then you have one scrubber checking if it should take in air. To be honest any good atmosian knows to not rely 100% on their vents to refill a room and nor should they anyway. Lazy atmosians know they can over charge the distro network and set the vent to blast 1000 kpa into a tile to fill a room within a few minutes.

So I think basically what I'm saying is git gud at atmos.

I'm probably among the last of the people you would need to say that last thing to, but thanks for that feedback...

The scrubbers already check and filter all the time, and vents check and compare pressure. If the scrubbers have a few KPA tolerance, you end up with a next to non-existent performance impact.

I am well aware of how incredibly long it takes LINDA to refill a room (compared to almost nothing on ZAS) as well. Because of that, this still doesn't take away atmos job.

Edited by Anticept

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use