PDA Digital Photography?

flimflamm

While trying to connive ways to easily improve journalism, it occurred to me that if PDAs had the ability to take, send, and receive photos, then a whole lot more would happen than just journalists getting the very best photographs...

People would generally be able to send amusing or interesting photographs to each-other which in and of itself seems worth-while enough, but additionally security would be given an incentive to actually begin to care about substantive evidence rather than civilian hear-say given that they could theoretically be transformed into a kind of paparazzi. PDA communications can partially verified if one user asks another to send them a photograph of themselves to make sure they know who're they're talking to. The detective would surely be the recipient of a great many photographs of crime, which is a great starting point for conducting evidence based security work.

In order to prevent the inevitable heat-death of a station who's crew are all suddenly given digital cameras and snapping pictures left and right, straight-forward limitations could easily be placed on photo storage capacity in order to prevent spam but keep the utility. 3 or 4 stored photos maximum would be appropriate, and would also help the actual digital camera stay relevant (it can do 15 stored photos). PDAs would have the ability to view and send stored photos (just like how normal photo viewing works) but not to print them. Some method of printing could be made available with existing machines if physical copies are desired.

Story telling is inherently a part of SS13, and photographs in SS13 can tell approximately 50 words, which is definitely economical given the constant struggle for text space. Is there any reason why PDA's should not have some sort of digital camera functionality? If not by default, perhaps in some sort of tourism cartridge?

The only reason PDAs can't take pictures is because nobody cares enough to implement it.

If you want it - go for it.

That's good to hear! Sometimes I come up with these half baked suggestions that would be totally awesome if it weren't for some obvious or glaring balance issue that I missed.

I like to think I'm a clever boy, but so far the only SS13 related git experience I have is recoloring a few sprites and perusing the source code in order to discover it's secrets. I have some amateur coding skill with LUA and forth in particular, and para looks fairly straight forward, but it's really going to take me some time to get to a place where I could pull off Camera-PDA integration.

I think my first attempt at coding will be relegated to adding a title header to newscaster stories and to bump player created news stations to the top of the feed list. Hopefully this won't be too difficult as a starting project.

Also, would there be a more appropriate place to barf out my in-progress code work other than here in a suggestion thread? I was always one of those students who asks questions!

The only reason PDAs can't take pictures is because nobody cares enough to implement it.

Actually I'm pretty sure someone suggested the same thing awhile back and a few people vehemently said "fuck no" so we didn't get it.

That said I wouldn't mind this.

Actually I'm pretty sure someone suggested the same thing awhile back and a few people vehemently said "fuck no" so we didn't get it.

That said I wouldn't mind this.

fuck no

+1 , I like the Idea.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use