Buff Random Events

Doukan

Meteors/sub antag spawning aside they're not very dangerous at all.

Take the void rift for example, depending on whether or not it craps out any soldier spiders a handful of assistants with wrenches easily beat it back with minimal effort. I'm making this post right after witnessing one spawn out.. a grand total of two snowmen and one nurse spider. Even the blob is usually dealt with easily seeing as their spawn positions are universally terrible.

They just don't impact much, surely they should require a bit greater effort to fix?

I'd propose increasing the number of them. What is it ATM? every 50 minutes or something like that? unless it's a blob/nuke ops round pretty much every shift ends with a crew transfer, I'd say we could do with more going on.

Here's a bigger list of things I'd like to see;

- Have void rifts last longer and spawn more monsters, to compensate have them be announced say 30 seconds to a couple of minutes before they actually appear to give people a chance to GTFO.

- Refactor mid-round blobs spawn locations so they don't show up in the middle of a renovated assembly line, something to check they don't pop up nearby any active players would be good.

- Have the Graetyde virus actually bolt open the brig cells properly to allow prisoners to escape, ATM it only opens up perma and not the hallway leading from it making it completely moot.

- Pump up the effected number of scrubbers for the vent clog event, barely ever effects anything at all aside from covering random offices in gore.

- Have the ionospheric anomalies event actually break tcomms, not actually damage it mind just turn it off, nothing any half competent head couldn't fix.

- What happened to anomalies? The pyroclastic/vortex/bluespace kind, I haven't seen them in months, bring them back please (maybe tone down the pyro though now we've got chocolate walls back).

- More mid-round antags please, as said above unless it's something like a chaos wiz round the vast majority of games end with a boring transfer, nothing wrong with a peaceful round but they're the vast majority these days.

- Some events are very common others barely seen, I play on the server a lot and have seen dozens of xenomorphs pop with barely any revenents/abductors. The weighting could do with a little adjusting.

- Also on the topic of xenos, they often spawn in places like the brig lobby, the bridge, and the middle of medbay, this sucks and shouldn't be a thing.

Thoughts?

Edited by Guest

I agree that random events for sure need buff, and would be in favor of all the suggestions listed. After all, random events are the primary thing that keeps the shift from going stale if the round start antags fail to to entertain.

I completely agree with xeno spawns, its not fair for those not yet robust enough to insta-jump down vents to be smited by a robust officer simply because RNG decided they need to become good friends with securities baton.

• 3 weeks later...

A rework is definitely needed. Things like vines and viruses should also be pushed to rando events, there is nothing worse than a midround event that's just some crappy vines that die in two seconds. The same goes for borers, honestly.

A rework is definitely needed. Things like vines and viruses should also be pushed to rando events, there is nothing worse than a midround event that's just some crappy vines that die in two seconds. The same goes for borers, honestly.

I'm reasonably sure Vines got buffed recently as there were CO2-producing vines in Engineering not long ago.

- Have void rifts last longer and spawn more monsters, to compensate have them be announced say 30 seconds to a couple of minutes before they actually appear to give people a chance to GTFO.

If we want to buff this event, I'm not sure this is a good way to do it.

Part of the issue is that often, the mobs it spawns are weak. Snowmen, nurse spiders, etc.

We wouldn't need more mobs if the mobs it spawned were stronger.

- Refactor mid-round blobs spawn locations so they don't show up in the middle of a renovated assembly line, something to check they don't pop up nearby any active players would be good.

I've actually got a PR ready to go that does this.

I'll submit it once there are less open Map Edit PRs.

I was holding it off due to there being several open PRs with map edits, and I did not want to create merge conflicts.

- Have the Graetyde virus actually bolt open the brig cells properly to allow prisoners to escape, ATM it only opens up perma and not the hallway leading from it making it completely moot.

- Pump up the effected number of scrubbers for the vent clog event, barely ever effects anything at all aside from covering random offices in gore.

Interesting ideas.

- Have the ionospheric anomalies event actually break tcomms, not actually damage it mind just turn it off, nothing any half competent head couldn't fix.

The problem with this is that it would have to be a physical break.

Any sort of "turn X equipment off" event could be fixed by the AI in 15 seconds.

- What happened to anomalies? The pyroclastic/vortex/bluespace kind, I haven't seen them in months, bring them back please (maybe tone down the pyro though now we've got chocolate walls back).

I've seen them. Vortex anomalies are nice. Pyro ones aren't very strong. I can't remember the last time I saw a bluespace anomaly.

- More mid-round antags please, as said above unless it's something like a chaos wiz round the vast majority of games end with a boring transfer, nothing wrong with a peaceful round but they're the vast majority these days.

Enabling the morph event could help.

- Some events are very common others barely seen, I play on the server a lot and have seen dozens of xenomorphs pop with barely any revenents/abductors. The weighting could do with a little adjusting.

Yeah. Worth investigating.

- Also on the topic of xenos, they often spawn in places like the brig lobby, the bridge, and the middle of medbay, this sucks and shouldn't be a thing.

I was debating doing a PR that modifies their spawning method, so that they can only spawn on top of a vent that nobody can currently see.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use