Let`s Talk About IPCs (Integrated Paper-Positronic Chassis)

dadols

The damage bonus needs to stay, 125%~130% should be better than 150% I mean they`re still gonna be weak, and yeah stun makes it less shitty to die as an ipc.

And Remember that EMPs aren`t antag exclusive.. ex. Bartender has it,Chemists,Experimentor... in few words.. EMPs can be made by everyone and are everywhere...

The damage they take right now is ridicolous.. and everyone knows that... That`s why people say they`re made from paper/cardboard/tin/potatos/wood...

For someone that is robust that`s not such a big problem... but for the overall player base that`s a problem... and the Cons that this race gets are ridicolous compared to the Pros...

That`s just my opinion....

I exclusively play IPC, and I made my thoughts mostly known in the other thread. summarize: I mostly agree that IPCs are mostly in a good place with the following exceptions:

EMP effectivness:

To be brief: Stealthy, Instant death at 2TC/wide availablity is a bit much. I'd agree with what others are suggesting, and make it a Sleepy-pen-like/Stun effect and throw on some burn damage (perhaps internal component). This makes IPCs less of a free kill.

Emag interaction:

It was proposed in the other thread to add a sort of emag interaction with the IPC. For the sake of balance, it would require you to have the chest open on the IPC, and to slap them with an emag to get 15 minutes of mind control that they do not remember later.

NOT REALLY A PROBLEM BUT A THING I'D REALLY LIKE:

To play on the strengths/self-reliance of IPCs, I really do wish we could re-attach our own limbs with the right tools/time.

As they stand, I enjoy the position they're in. While they may have a number or positives, the drawbacks even things out nicely, as I've outlined prior. The EMPs in terms of damage make sense, though the cost might be a bit low, but the damage modifiers are fine as they are and there's really nothing else I really have a problem with.

It's well known that I only play IPC, and as the terrible masochist I am, death makes the game far more fun and interesting for my sake.

As for emag interaction, I've stated my opinion prior about traitors already having mindslave implants and chaplain traitors having the equivalent of this with the conversion staff. I don't believe the emag needs to be a cheaper way to do so, mostly because of how easy the means are to get, though it might be interesting, so it's not exactly something I'd say shouldn't have at least a test run, if not more.

Overall, IPCs are in a good spot, I don't think they really need any changes as they stand, for better or for worse.

The EMPs in terms of damage make sense, though the cost might be a bit low, but the damage modifiers are fine as they are and there's really nothing else I really have a problem with.

It's well known that I only play IPC, and as the terrible masochist I am, death makes the game far more fun and interesting for my sake.

The problem I have with it is is the prevalence and consistency of antags to just remove IPCs from the round in completely uninteresting and frustrating ways. "Oh, I have an IPC as a target." Click flashlight/implant. Remove robit from the game. Bonus points: Remove brain, melt it, then watch robotics struggle for 15 minutes (should they recover the body!) to figure out why the character can't wake up.

Repeatedly, I have been EMP'd and they got away with it. One of those times I was actually killed at departures, surrounded by a dozen people. Nobody noticed or cared. What am I supposed to do? What's the counter? How is it interesting that I a 2TC item can completely obliterate a character with zero effort? Not only that, few people can actually be bothered to restore an EMP'd IPC. I've watched quite a few times where some Captain/HoS IPC is dragged onto the surgery table in robotics, and the roboticist struggles to figure it out with another heads of staff breathing down his neck and the entire ship going to shit in the process.

Most of the time, death in SS13 is funny, or interesting, a learning experience, or at the bare minimum: entertaining to ghosts watching. But an EMP death feels like the antithesis of that. There is nothing you can do to counter it, there is nothing you can do to prepare for it. There is nothing to take away from it, and it's completely anticlimactic.

If it seems this is something of a sore spot for me: Nearly every death in one week of playing SS13 super hard for me was to EMP's. Different circumstances, different gametypes, different antags. Sometimes it was even antag v antag! I've been racking my brain trying to figure out if there was anything I could've done differently. ANYTHING I could've done to avoid any of those deaths. The only answer is: Play an organic race that is less interesting to me - because no other race has to deal with this.

Now, when I say this, I mean this respectfully, but I advise you to try the race for yourself a bit, Fox. It's not as amazingly overpowered and Godly as you perceive it.

You're completely misrepresenting my intentions here and prejudging where I was going with my statements.

The fact is, some misinformation was given in the first post; this was corrected---additionally, some strengths and weaknesses, both, were not included in the original post or being discussed. It's intellectually dishonest to not include every strength and weakness when discussing a species, its balance, and what it has/doesn't; this goes for any species, and not just IPC. I'd be just as pedantic if something like claw sharpening was non-aesthetic and no one bothered including that as a strength for the races that actually have claws.

Well, fox I for one thank you for making this thread as it made a lot of feedback and it got us talking, even if we were somewhat off or on, it gave us a spot to talk about it in more detail and to feel where the wind is blowing to say.

But really? They can make their unarmed damage higher with just a stone alone o.0

Now, when I say this, I mean this respectfully, but I advise you to try the race for yourself a bit, Fox. It's not as amazingly overpowered and Godly as you perceive it.

You're completely misrepresenting my intentions here and prejudging where I was going with my statements.

The fact is, some misinformation was given in the first post; this was corrected---additionally, some strengths and weaknesses, both, were not included in the original post or being discussed. It's intellectually dishonest to not include every strength and weakness when discussing a species, its balance, and what it has/doesn't; this goes for any species, and not just IPC. I'd be just as pedantic if something like claw sharpening was non-aesthetic and no one bothered including that as a strength for the races that actually have claws.

Whatever I wrote in the first post is what I`ve seen, I don`t think IPCs have more pros/cons, than those that I`ve listed.. if you think so, I`d love to fix the Main Post and add more stuff...

Anyway, I still think IPCs aren`t such a balanced race.. I mean it is a cool race, but nothing else than that.. You can read other posts other users wrote when they list all the problem and you can clearly see IPCs aren`t such a balanced race compared to other races..

-Just my Opinion

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use