Fruerlund takes people's characters away

Splgrk

Admin Key: fruerlund

Your Discord name (if applicable): Splgrk

Complaint:

So, we had a round that was like the culmination of everything I wanted for my character. Everything SINA- stood for. Everything IPC fluff was going for. Forty years after the revolution, NT is showing their colours again. They are borging everyone. Force-borging. Breaking people's freedoms. Going against their own so-called laws. Open fascism. Collaborators, rebels. Perfect.

Of course SINA- starts a mutiny. And is caught, and borged. Fine. It all fits. Slogans were shouted, all was glorious.

And then the fucking admin comes in and turns SINA- from a posibrain into a human. A flesh brain. Which can't speak, or be put back in an IPC body, when the force borging is over. Not only does he kick me out of the round this way and prevent me from ever getting my body back, he is changing my species. Turning me from IPC to human. Which ruins everything. This was about IPC rights, and New Canaan, and forty years of struggle to arrange something with NT, for working for the law. This was about the rekindled revolultion. The best start of a round ever and without looking, he takes it away. Ruins it. Turns my character from a proud and flawed IPC who fought two generations for her freedom into a sack of meat on the floor. Without even any justification. I had done nothing wrong. Broken no server rule.

This is worse than any greytide, or syndicate murderer, or deathsquad. You can come back from that. It's worse than being burned or cluwned, because your character is still tthemselves inside and you had a choice and some agency.

This is taking away someone's character and turning them into your little puppet, because you think it's funny. So you can play with them. And not just in any round. In the perfect round. This goes beyond incompetence. Beyond power trips. This is pure and simple sadism.

A person who thinks they can strip someone else of their agency like this, change their character like this for no reason shouldn't run a roleplaying game. They shouldn't run anything. They dont' deserve to run anything.

And then, when I complain about this violation? What is the answer I get? Stop writing ahelps.

How dare you. How dare you tell me to stop complaining about this. You can not silence me on this issue. Maybe you do not care if you take people's characters away like this. But I care. Because this is a roleplaying game and you can not take my character and her story away and tell me to shut up.

I will not be shut up. Because there is no excuse for this. It is a treason of every basic tenent of roleplaying.

And just to show how little you can take any attempt at criticism, you ban me. For complaining about having my character's backstory taken away from me and then saying that I will not be shut up like that, by being told that my complaints aren't valid.

Sure. Silence your dissenters. Enjoy your puppets, if you can't handle players.

Greetings.

Let us take this point by point:

Of course SINA- starts a mutiny. And is caught, and borged. Fine. It all fits. Slogans were shouted, all was glorious.

Glory to Synthetica.

And then the fucking admin comes in and turns SINA- from a posibrain into a human. A flesh brain. Which can't speak, or be put back in an IPC body, when the force borging is over. Not only does he kick me out of the round this way and prevent me from ever getting my body back, he is changing my species. Turning me from IPC to human. Which ruins everything. This was about IPC rights, and New Canaan, and forty years of struggle to arrange something with NT, for working for the law. This was about the rekindled revolultion. The best start of a round ever and without looking, he takes it away. Ruins it. Turns my character from a proud and flawed IPC who fought two generations for her freedom into a sack of meat on the floor. Without even any justification.

Firstly, starting this off with "fucking admin" is not the best way to go about things. I understand you may be upset, but please attempt to remain civil during the course of your complaint, or else it paints a particularly bad picture.

Regardless, attempting to frame this from an IC point of view, while understandable, is not the main point of contention here. Rather, the teleporting of the brain is. After conferring with Fruerlund, it would become apparent that the event did not exactly go as intended and, in order to try and remedy that, they added a few more resources to smooth it out, including a full-on Borgification shuttle near Escape.

It was here that Fruer, as a response to your (quite apparent) worry about how the event went south, decided to try and help by directly teleporting your posibrain to them in order to process it, rather than leaving it sitting somewhere because the Roboticists were SSD/not competent enough. Again, I cannot stress this enough: this was done with the express intent of helping you.

However, due to the fact that BYOND is, at the best of times, quirky, the method that Fruer used to retrieve your posibrain, rather than, well, retrieve your posibrain as intended, somehow turned it into a normal brain. How it did this, I have no idea. Most likely yet another example of the code being held together by staples, duct tape and intensive prayer.

So, to summarize: Fruer intended to use their Admin powers to teleport your posibrain to them. It was never their intention to turn it into a regular brain, that was merely a result of the code doing something completely unexpected.

I had done nothing wrong. Broken no server rule.

As detailed above, this was not a punishment. This was, in fact, an attempted favor gone horribly wrong.

This is taking away someone's character and turning them into your little puppet, because you think it's funny. So you can play with them. And not just in any round. In the perfect round. This goes beyond incompetence. Beyond power trips. This is pure and simple sadism.

Allow me to link you to a very important article on TV Tropes: Hanlon's Razor

If you do not wish to read it, the abridged version is thus: "Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity/incompetence".

(I apologize, Fruer, as the real reasons are detailed above)

Ascribing Fruer's intentions to some sort of "sadism", as if they wanted to deliberately ruin your round is, for lack of a better word, blatantly incorrect. Fruerlund actually explained to you what went wrong. They, in fact, told you what I did here. Why you choose to ignore that and attribute this to their malice is, frankly, puzzling.

A person who thinks they can strip someone else of their agency like this, change their character like this for no reason shouldn't run a roleplaying game. They shouldn't run anything. They dont' deserve to run anything.

It feels to me that you either did not listen to what Fruer told you, disregarded it completely and/or thought they were lying. I can guarantee you, the latter is not true. If the first option is true, then I can assure you, the messages were sent. However, it appears obvious, from your attitude here, and from the Adminhelps you sent, that you were simply unable to control your anger and annoyance, and chose to lash out against what you perceived as Administrator abuse and malice.

As detailed, neither are present.

And then, when I complain about this violation? What is the answer I get? Stop writing ahelps.

How dare you. How dare you tell me to stop complaining about this. You can not silence me on this issue. Maybe you do not care if you take people's characters away like this. But I care. Because this is a roleplaying game and you can not take my character and her story away and tell me to shut up.

I will not be shut up. Because there is no excuse for this. It is a treason of every basic tenent of roleplaying.

You were told to stop sending Ahelps, and to take it to the Administrator Complaints area (as you have), because, and I will be brutally honest here, you were not defending yourself. You were spewing completely and utterly unjustified vitriol at an Administrator that made an honest mistake, informed you they made an honest mistake, and yet were treated as if they were this sort of sadistic monster who should feel awful about themselves.

We are volunteers. We administrate this server in order to provide a valuable service to the community. No one in the team has the duty to sit and be insulted, slandered and vilified by someone who cannot, or will not, moderate their angry outbursts, especially not when they provided a factually correct explanation of what happened.

And just to show how little you can take any attempt at criticism, you ban me. For complaining about having my character's backstory taken away from me and then saying that I will not be shut up like that, by being told that my complaints aren't valid.

Sure. Silence your dissenters. Enjoy your puppets, if you can't handle players.

This is not about silencing criticism. This is not about you complaining about any IC events.

You were banned because you have a very long history of vitriolic outbursts, outright rulebreaking behavior, and tried and tested inability to control yourself whenever you, as a person, become angry at what happens in the game.

Along your months here, you were given plenty of chances to learn how to control yourself. You failed to take any one of them. If you will not control your anger at a silly, 2D spaceman simulator, and instead choose to deliver a long, disrespectful, factually incorrect and, frankly, hateful rant about what was, as detailed, a simple mistake that you were informed about but ignored, then you can sit out from playing on Paradise.

So, to summarize:

This complaint is without merit. Fruerlund did not abuse their powers, and extends an apology for accidentally turning your posibrain into an organic brain.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use