Port Goon Manufacturing

sdtwbaj

I actually spent a bit of time on Goon earlier, and fell in absolute love with their manufacturing system.

For those who haven't been on Goon, my tldr of the manufacturing system is that engineering, science, and medical departments (in our case it'd be cargo too) can manufacture their own things, with a rather constant cycle of material flow. Mining ores each have classifications as what kind of 'material' they'd be, such as a sturdy metal, high-voltage power source, crystal, etc. and there are many kinds of fabricators for everything.

I did some more research on it and discovered that there is also material fusion. You can create hybrids of all kinds of materials, creating armors, gloves, etc. that draw on the combined stats of those materials.

Looms can turn some things into thread for fabrics, nanocrucibles create highly-fused alloys for advanced technologies, things of that nature.

Meanwhile, our 'manufacturing' system is "mine shit -> give to Science -> shove in magic 3d printer -> science hogs forever -> viva la science" and nobody else is really involved in producing -anything-.

Edited by Guest

Reason why science hogs everything, is that only they need actual materials.

It would be quite interesting (and possibly insanely hard) to see chemistry require silver/plasma for their shit

I would really have to play on goon myself to get a feel for it before I would feel comfortable with getting on board with this idea, but I think it is a interesting idea.

Its indeed a intresting system at goonstation every department has his own printer

Mining - mine related tools pickaxes shovels maybe it be cool for a upgraded mining satchel that holds 100 materials?

Fabric - this just makes the basic clothing you find in the mixed wardrobes would be a neat thing to give nuke ops

Robitics - probaly keeps their thing

Medical - makes surgery tools plus blank patches implants and other such things

General - just the basic tools multitool maybe some instrumenrs light bulbs

Of course QM will be the dwpart to have every manifucter if we ever add this

Its indeed a intresting system at goonstation every department has his own printer

Mining - mine related tools pickaxes shovels maybe it be cool for a upgraded mining satchel that holds 100 materials?

Fabric - this just makes the basic clothing you find in the mixed wardrobes would be a neat thing to give nuke ops

Robitics - probaly keeps their thing

Medical - makes surgery tools plus blank patches implants and other such things

General - just the basic tools multitool maybe some instrumenrs light bulbs

Of course QM will be the dwpart to have every manifucter if we ever add this

In addition to having specific fabricators, you also have the Mechanic job.

The Mechanic job is basically the "D" part of RnD. You don't research shit, but if machines break down or get fucked up, you're the guy to fix it, because you have tools that can easily scan nearly every machine in the game and the capability of printing out new ones. (Though on Goon there IS no standard RnD, not as we have it. Just Chemistry, Toxins/Plasma research, Artifacts and Telesci)

There's also the MechComp/Tinkering you can do with setting up complex devices to do various things, etc.

Basically: Our current RnD/Protolathe system, is ALL of Goon's fabricators rolled into just two machines. Science's Protolathe and the normal Autolathes.

Goon's system seperates them all up to how improvedname listed. Certain fabricators make certain items and are only in very specific and fitting places. That being, usually the relevant department and cargo. You want new doodads outside of your department, you gotta go talk to them.

That sounds very nice. Something to do for the engineers/mechanics. Is this in the newer code gonn released or their actual build wich is not opensource?

As far as I know, these mechanics, albeit a more dated version, are in the official release.

That sounds very nice. Something to do for the engineers/mechanics. Is this in the newer code gonn released or their actual build wich is not opensource?

Mechanics have been on Goonstation a decent while, so I imagine a slightly older version would be in the released code.

Mechanics have been on Goonstation a decent while, so I imagine a slightly older version would be in the released code.

Goon is still closed (correct me if I'm wrong) and there's only an open version because someone leaked it at one point.

Goon is still closed (correct me if I'm wrong) and there's only an open version because someone leaked it at one point.

They made an official release of their build at the time of the leak, because the leaked version was messy internal workarounds.

You'd be more or less correct. A while back Goon's code got leaked, and after some internal debate, they opted to just make that version open source and public and move on, and have closed off their CURRENT code that they have developed since said leak.

So there's a slightly dated (earlier this year) version that Goon has basically said is free pickings, and are moving forward from there.

https://github.com/goonstation/goonstation-2016 <-- Code in question.

You'd be more or less correct. A while back Goon's code got leaked, and after some internal debate, they opted to just make that version open source and public and move on, and have closed off their CURRENT code that they have developed since said leak.

So there's a slightly dated (earlier this year) version that Goon has basically said is free pickings, and are moving forward from there.

https://github.com/goonstation/goonstation-2016 <-- Code in question.

To be fair, if it's been leaked it's not really "them deciding" to make it OpenSource. That's just saving face, IMHO. It was already available prior to them deciding to make that version available.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use