Engineering as Plasmaman

PrototypeNitro

I'm about to ask something maybe impossible. But if you don't try, you can't get an answer..

The problem is: Engine (Tesla) and the Engineer who is Plasmaman.

If you have a Syndicate agent or someone else who sabotaged the engine about containement or Cable power or even emitters. You can't fix it.

During a game. An Engineer who was syndicate turned off emiters. Of course I am the only engineer to respond to the emergency. I openned the Airlock and jump into space ! And a magic message came. 'You feel a powerful shock coursing through your body!' and I died. Of course I had insulated gloves. Trust I'm an engineer.

Plasmaman can 't wear engineering hardsuit. Or they're set on fire. They can't wear Engineering hardsuit in space ! Or they take space damage.

My queston is: Can we find way do be Teslaproof as Plasmaman ?

This is an unintended nerf to plasmamen when the tesla was first introduced, as they can never have safety from it.

I'd be in support of adding the pertinent checks/tags to the engineering plasmaman suits so that they're teslaproof.

+1 to this thread! I'd like to also see the plasmaman engineering / atmospherics helmet gain welding protection, as welding goggles are hard to come by (not sure if this would be added because it gives them roundstart flash protection. If so, add welding goggles to engineering and atmospherics!)

+1 to this thread! I'd like to also see the plasmaman engineering / atmospherics helmet gain welding protection, as welding goggles are hard to come by (not sure if this would be added because it gives them roundstart flash protection. If so, add welding goggles to engineering and atmospherics!)

Their suits must match stats of respectable department gear. Engineering hardsuit have flashlight, teslaproofnes, rad resistance and welding shield. Engineering plasmamen suit must be the same. While atmos version must be fireproof. Security suit must match security hardsuit stats.

If so, add welding goggles to engineering and atmospherics!)

There are three in Engineering, one in Assembly line and an Advanced one in CE office.

So many people don't know about the ones in Engineering I think...

I don't like the idea of adding the welding stuff to the Plasmaman suit, I think that is quite a buff to suddenly never need to get goggles...

But yeah, Plasmaman Engineers should have Tesla immunity.

If so, add welding goggles to engineering and atmospherics!)

There are three in Engineering, one in Assembly line and an Advanced one in CE office.

I don't like the idea of adding the welding stuff to the Plasmaman suit, I think that is quite a buff to suddenly never need to get goggles...

Plasmamen should not be in disadvantage to their department mates. So sec plamamen should have suit identical to sec hardsuit, doctor to medical hardsuit, paramedic to paramedic softsuit, miner to mining hardsuit, engineer to engineering. Scientists and civies - eva suits, which means no weld protection or armour.

Indeed, but for the purposes of atmospherics plasmamen it is a pain to get them (I've had difficulty in the past getting them). With engineering, sometimes people do actually take the ones in the engine room which means you can't weld anything until science can make welding masks.

You're all overlooking a cheap and readily accessible item that's available at close-to-basic RnD levels.

It is called a welding mask.

As for the sec suit, medisuit, etc. Disagree, firmly. You should not always count as wearing a security hardsuit and have a leg up on your peers from the get-go, especially considering there's only three of these (Whereas there's 10 people in a fully staffed brig).

All the plasmasuits start with 100 bio, as is.

We should extend tesla protection to the engineering suits, and fireproofiness to the atmos ones but I'm not keen on anything other than that.

Why not make the "suit" plaspeople wear be a skintight thing ala the contortionists's jumpsuit?

Have it go in the jumpsuit slot and be unremovable under normal circumstances unless explosions or sharp objects are involved, it'd probably work better than having them in a perma-exosuit and all the assorted issues that come with it.

Come on, skeleton gimps, what's not to love? or it could just be a baggy light hazmat suit.

Why not make the "suit" plaspeople wear be a skintight thing ala the contortionists's jumpsuit?

Have it go in the jumpsuit slot and be unremovable under normal circumstances unless explosions or sharp objects are involved, it'd probably work better than having them in a perma-exosuit and all the assorted issues that come with it.

Come on, skeleton gimps, what's not to love? or it could just be a baggy light hazmat suit.

Hazmat suit is exosuit by the way.

This also will make plasmamen-only rooms less cool. For now they can remove their clunky suits off here - a very rare occasion.

Because that would allow plasmapersons to stack protections for various classes of armour?

I could be the HoS, have all those armour values on my jumpsuit, and then throw on an atmospherics/engineering hardsuit and effectively become a walking tank who's fire/radiation/tesla immune on top of being unable to be syringe gunned - or I could throw on an ablative, or bulletproof on top of it.. Or a riot suit.

Because that would allow plasmapersons to stack protections for various classes of armour?

I could be the HoS, have all those armour values on my jumpsuit, and then throw on an atmospherics/engineering hardsuit and effectively become a walking tank who's fire/radiation/tesla immune on top of being unable to be syringe gunned - or I could throw on an ablative, or bulletproof on top of it.. Or a riot suit.

If plasmamen suit will be a jumpsuit it would just have same stats with departmental jumpsuits. But irremovable and sealed from oxygen around.

If plasmamen suit will be a jumpsuit it would just have same stats with departmental jumpsuits. But irremovable and sealed from oxygen around

Then you have issues with every sprite ever when they inevitably put things in their chest slot.

You also now have the issue of "I have no exosuit slot, but have a plasma tank that only fits in the exosuit slot.".

And you also remove the one thing that makes the race stand out, which is its iconic suit.

If plasmamen suit will be a jumpsuit it would just have same stats with departmental jumpsuits. But irremovable and sealed from oxygen around

Then you have issues with every sprite ever when they inevitably put things in their chest slot.

You also now have the issue of "I have no exosuit slot, but have a plasma tank that only fits in the exosuit slot.".

And you also remove the one thing that makes the race stand out, which is its iconic suit.

Thats why Im actualy AGAINST that idea. But I see nothing against making plasmamen suit staticaly identical to respectful departments hardsuits/spacesuits. Including security one. Its not so OP in sense of armour and plasmamen suit is already spaceproof.

Thats why Im actualy AGAINST that idea. But I see nothing against making plasmamen suit staticaly identical to respectful departments hardsuits/spacesuits. Including

security one. Its not so OP in sense of armour and plasmamen suit is already spaceproof.

Personally I feel that if Plasmamen spawn into specific departmental jobs they should at least get exosuits that allow them to function in those jobs.

On the flip side, I actually kind of like the idea of the hardsuit being replaced with a semi-space proof jumpsuit that covers their head and body. Is it at all possible to make a vest/exosuit that functions as internals? I.E. the plasmamen plasma tank would become something like the hazard vest, except it's the plasma tanks of their suit that they need to breathe, said vest could be tooled to different jobs to hold exosuit storage items they might need (flashlight, cuffs, medical items, ect...) it's a pretty rough idea but it reminds me of the old water-cooled IPC space suits from Bay which I thought were pretty neat lore wise even if they were mechanically useless (bay IPCs took burn damage in a vacuum, space suits prevented this)

I still don't see why it should be changed. They're softsuits, not hardsuits. Plus it gives an actual reason to use the singulo.

Pretty much this.

Nobody has exactly lobbied to remove the EMP on the Singulo because of IPC Engineers or Engie borgs, that's just one of the hazards of being that race in that job.

This is how it is for Plasma-bros. You're Tesla vulnerable.

I still don't see why it should be changed. They're softsuits, not hardsuits. Plus it gives an actual reason to use the singulo.

Pretty much this.

Nobody has exactly lobbied to remove the EMP on the Singulo because of IPC Engineers or Engie borgs, that's just one of the hazards of being that race in that job.

This is how it is for Plasma-bros. You're Tesla vulnerable.

@Sothangel, they are definitely hardsuits, they give all the perks of a hardsuit and the minor slow down too IIRC.

Apples to oranges. IPCs and Borgs have a very specific vulnerability to EMPs, engineering suits do not have any built in protection against this.

Plasmen do not have any racial vulnerabilities to electricity or radiation compared to humans, but they suffer here because they weren't given the proper flags on their departmental specific suits and thus can't perform part of their function.

By comparison, Plasmen in other roles DO get the benefits their hardsuit wearing co-workers get to include

Atmos Tech Plasmen getting Max fire protect (immune to fires in suit)

Miners get their 30% melee 50% bomb damage reduction

Security gets their 15% damage reduction across the board (save for energy)

Nuke ops get their ludicrous damage resists (melee = 60, bullet = 50, laser = 30, energy = 15, bomb = 35, bio = 100, rad = 50)

This isn't a matter of 'it's a racial debuff', it only applies to one job, and that job actually NEEDS that perk to perform part of its job. This is a case of nobody remembered about plasmen when they ported Tesla and it still hasn't been fixed. I don't even play or have plasmen unlocked and this seems pretty damn stupid to insist it's an intentional flaw of their species.

This isn't a matter of 'it's a racial debuff', it only applies to one job, and that job actually NEEDS that perk to perform part of its job.

Except they don't.

Being "Tesla-immune" inside your suit is in no way required for any part of of Engineering, other then a Tesla engine getting loose, which frankly, is not something any race should just be able to go "lolimmune" at just by nature of existing.

There is always that fancy singulo engine sitting right there, and the engineering suits DO get Radiation reduction/immunity just like normal hardsuits do. They have an alternative.

To say they "need" it to do their job, is a very big exaggeration. If it is a bug/forgotten factoid during a port is probably true, it's almost definitely not intended, but it's something that should not and does not need to be changed, and actually means an alien race in a job slot has to change shit up, has to be taken into consideration and thus changes the game. Something we could use a lot fucking more of.

The comparison to IPC was in the fact that, the singulo engine puts off EMPs like no tomorrow and for ages we did not have a Tesla engine to speak of. But the fact that IPC engineers could not go NEAR the engine, didn't really change anything, they got no special treatment. You just had to deal with the fact you weren't as good at engineering as a human, mechanically speaking. The same applies here. Your suit is not Tesla-proof. You just have to work around that.

Atmos techs NEED the fire immunity, since fire duty is their only real job right now, and there is no real alternative way to approach a fire then "Put it out." and deal with the heat as you fix the room

Security needs the extra padding for antag duty and dealing with shitty greytide. They have no alternative, this is their one job.

Miners need the bomb and melee immunity for their encounters with Gibtonite and Xenos. Because while gibtonite can be avoided, Xenos are at every corner. Technically this can be avoided though.

Engineers do NOT need to be immune to a rampaging engine that they failed to contain/Was sabotaged. They can just use the OTHER engine. They have a perfectly viable alternative.

Being teslaproof is mandatory for engine maintenance, in the case of emitters being turned off.

In the suggestion even, the engine got loose *because* they didn't have tesla immunity.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use