Time for a bigger map perhaps??

ColdSuit

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as we don't bring back customs!

We can do like Tau ceti - make a tiny transit station on cc z-level and place a spawn point here. There will be shuttle which will transit people to arrivals of cyberiad. And customs will be there as well. They are open and unmanned by default, letting new players to pass without problems. But during events or when server is swarmed by baldie raiders customs could be closed and manned by people from ghosts to filter out people coming to the station. This also would be more RP-like - people will not just appear from thin air inside always docked arrivals shuttle.

As long as we don't bring back customs!

We can do like Tau ceti - make a tiny transit station on cc z-level and place a spawn point here. There will be shuttle which will transit people to arrivals of cyberiad. And customs will be there as well. They are open and unmanned by default, letting new players to pass without problems. But during events or when server is swarmed by baldie raiders customs could be closed and manned by people from ghosts to filter out people coming to the station. This also would be more RP-like - people will not just appear from thin air inside always docked arrivals shuttle.

Readding a widely hated feature for "RP" on a med-rp server is an absolutely awful reason to do anything. We removed it for a reason, which was that it did jack shit other than piss people off, mainly because why would anyone who just arrived have anything even remotely erratic on them. The only reason it had even the tiniest use was that once upon a time when there was no northern maint, and the only way on to the station was via a door in cargo or customs. Which meant once in a blue moon it would catch an antag who managed to strand themselves in arrivals.

I generally never cared for the transit/off station spawn but it does have it's merits. The arrivals shuttle isn't always safe for entry, especially on meteor modes or bad carp spawns, so that would be a minor way to help to prevent early round spawn deaths and anyone attacking someone else on the spawn point is an obvious griefer/noob who needs to be set straight.

If in theory we WERE making our own map and customizing it to the needs of the community, I would actually poll for something like Donut used to be with a multi-ring station with outer, middle and inner rings, and maint tunnels connecting the rings. From the transit/spawn area there could be one way transit tubes or teleporters that could drop players onto the station at one of a few public areas. If we split the station into 4 wings; security, engineering, medical and science, with civilian departments and jobs strewn about between those wings, you could have 4 checkpoints or transit hubs that drop players between two departments. Command or engineering being in the center of the station and the other departments placed in the outer rings.

Long term, the transit loop itself could be made an option with 1 or 2 loops going around the station allowing for reasonably quick travel across the station (Futurama style) and sabotaging these loops could be a decent way for a traitor to hamper the crew, isolate their target or make their escape alone objective easier if they happen to break a tube in maint closet and filled the room with plasma.

I generally never cared for the transit/off station spawn but it does have it's merits. The arrivals shuttle isn't always safe for entry, especially on meteor modes or bad carp spawns, so that would be a minor way to help to prevent early round spawn deaths and anyone attacking someone else on the spawn point is an obvious griefer/noob who needs to be set straight.

If in theory we WERE making our own map and customizing it to the needs of the community, I would actually poll for something like Donut used to be with a multi-ring station with outer, middle and inner rings, and maint tunnels connecting the rings. From the transit/spawn area there could be one way transit tubes or teleporters that could drop players onto the station at one of a few public areas. If we split the station into 4 wings; security, engineering, medical and science, with civilian departments and jobs strewn about between those wings, you could have 4 checkpoints or transit hubs that drop players between two departments. Command or engineering being in the center of the station and the other departments placed in the outer rings.

Long term, the transit loop itself could be made an option with 1 or 2 loops going around the station allowing for reasonably quick travel across the station (Futurama style) and sabotaging these loops could be a decent way for a traitor to hamper the crew, isolate their target or make their escape alone objective easier if they happen to break a tube in maint closet and filled the room with plasma.

The map you described reminds me very much of Goon, while I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing, keep in mind if we make the station too easy to sabotage our round times will go down, and things will be in general more hectic, ect. Just something to think about

Donut station made a lot of sense to me, as circular stations in general have good flow and make for amusing benny hill chases of the clown running loops as sec is to dense to cut him off. Dead ends on a station that aren't maint are kind bleh to me.

As for sabatoge, most antags don't have the freedom to do serious damage to the station anyways and a station built for 100+ pop should have redundant pathways anyways. The few antags allowed to poke holes in the station and commit mass murder should at least have a few high traffic choke points for easy sabatoge and kills (like the glass skywalks that are basically carp feeding tanksf

I don't want a donut rip off, but a somewhat symmetrical and modular feel on a space station is something id like to see

People talk about Donut station. But I seriously think Asteroid station is the direction we should go in and make a big station map with as much off station stuff on the map.

So Engineering outpost, Prison Camp, Research outpost all with the station z level.

https://cloud.githubusercontent.com/ass ... 4b5e10.png

Asteroid for reference.

Thats the main reason why tau ceti have off-station spawn. Transit station is off-limits by the rules and people here are safe from grief and traitors. That station is also the common place for NT inspectors and other adminbus characters to spawn instead of centcom.

tbh

I wouldn't mind an underwater map

but that's just me.

And yeah, I agree with Taaketa. Having the station on the mining asteroid itself would be pretty cool. Even better if there was a random chance for the astroid to turn into lavaworld.

People talk about Donut station. But I seriously think Asteroid station is the direction we should go in and make a big station map with as much off station stuff on the map.

So Engineering outpost, Prison Camp, Research outpost all with the station z level.

https://cloud.githubusercontent.com/ass ... 4b5e10.png

Asteroid for reference.

>Singularity being placed in middle of the station for MAXIMUM destruction

I like it.

tbh

I would love a underwater map or at least partly. Like a huge tank of water for research or maybe just for station use, since water is so important for all races except greys. Or maybe a random chance of being an underwater station but I don't think a 100% permanently underwater map is a good idea.

tbh

I would love a underwater map or at least partly. Like a huge tank of water for research or maybe just for station use, since water is so important for all races except greys. Or maybe a random chance of being an underwater station but I don't think a 100% permanently underwater map is a good idea.

Make barotrauma canon, aquatic stations below the ice of europa ftw

Only problem I can see with asteroid is there's almost 0 maintenance.

Oh I know yeah. But I believe asteroid station is the same map size as Box. So they've exaggerated department sizes massively. But I'm not putting forward asteroid as a map we should use, just as a suggestion of a map that paradise could design around with everything one map and making more the space sectors randomly generated.

Doesn't asteroid make it ridiculously hard for nukes and vox to get on the station since they don't start with picks and shit so it's super easy to tell if they are around?

Vox always have a hard time getting on station, but as with any other map Asteroid does have its' downsides, yes.

Doesn't asteroid make it ridiculously hard for nukes and vox to get on the station since they don't start with picks and shit so it's super easy to tell if they are around?

Again I don't think we should copy Asteroid exactly. My point being I'd like to see something similar with the majority of, of station things on the one Z level.

So Mining Asteroid, Engineering Outpost, Science all within the station Z level. That would alleviate any problems with nuke and vox entrance since you could simply allow Nukes to Emag shuttle consoles to allow control of them.

But I'd very much like everything to be on the same station Z level and then all of space to be randomly generated like Z-7 or whatever zone it is that is generated right now.

Does anyone know how possible it would be to make areas of the station Z level able to randomize during a round?

I.E. The station is in an asteroid belt, various sections of the map are smaller asteroid rocks with larger ones where possible without interfering too much with Vox skipjack and nuke ops shuttle. When miners feel they have exhausted the local group of asteroids, they could request engineering activate some thrusters that jumps the station to a new location, randomizing all the asteroid spawns and possibly spawning more mobs or rare unique mobs (rogue combat drones, syndicate viseraters, inactive swarmers, ect...)

Mining and Engineering would require some coordination, the thruster firing could drain lots of power or require plasma or some gas mix in a special tank to work.

Security may be called upon to help clear out dangerous mob packs or just do regular patrols with the heightened hostile mob spawns posing more of a threat, pod pilot would actually have a friggen job.

Medical wouldn't change that much, though they'd better be able to coordinate to rescue wounded miners with their sensors on. Otherwise keep making meds and helping keep the miners at tip top shape.

Science and Civilian/Service probably wouldn't notice much different unless thruster firing could destabilize the station some or make everyone fall down as if a shuttle launching. Though an increased chance of hostile mob spawning and more glass exteriors could make for some !FUN! moments of the bridge or chapel suddenly found themselves being swarmed with carp, proactive command/security teams might enlist cargo/engineering to help set up some laser turrets around the station to deal with non-human mobs.

This of course would all be reliant on the coders finding a way to randomize asteroids on the station z level mid round without lagging or crashing the server entirely and from my understanding of how byond works thats not likely unless it's very sparse areas.

I realize I'm a little late to the discussion here, but the current map isn't too small, it just has large, useless areas: Engineering workroom, Vacant office, Dormitories, Science station, Labor camp, Medbay Exam and break rooms, Engineering office(s), Arrivals lounge/checkpoint, oversized locker room, the large rmaint rooms... get the picture?

I realize I'm a little late to the discussion here, but the current map isn't too small, it just has large, useless areas: Engineering workroom, Vacant office, Dormitories, Science station, Labor camp, Medbay Exam and break rooms, Engineering office(s), Arrivals lounge/checkpoint, oversized locker room, the large rmaint rooms... get the picture?

They aren't useless though. They provide an area for crew to mess around in. For Antags to build their plans in and grow in strength. They have a purpose and why they are so vast and big is to provide some breathing room for an antag.

For example, I've been showing Asteroid station as a good example of what we could do with a unified Z level (a massive Z level with all external structures on it). But it's also a bad example of how to do maint, of which there is very little and it's mostly straight corridors.

If some hypothetical map project gets put together then I can put together a layout for a cargo bay. The main features would be a QM office in the back with a hidden Cargonia/Emitter room, a conveyor running to the warehouse, a disposals chute right in the unloading bay, MULEbots right next to the shuttle, racks and tables in the public lobby (for storing loot) which also has a table with a deck of playing cards, a HoP-esque window'd off waiting line, and a cargo telepad on the loading conveyor. Y'know, all those little things I wish I had, but don't.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use