Remove Vulpkanin Darksight/Add a disadvantage

Shadeykins

Here's some ideas I posted over on the Racial Differentiation thread (a thread which, now that I think about it, might make this thread a bit redundant):

Going off the idea that vulpkanin might have a higher metabolism, and thus a higher food intake (a mechanic currently not used by any species, but easy to implement as nutrition loss is controlled by a single number*), Vulpkanin could be slightly more vulnerable to oxy or toxin damage, due to things getting processed faster in their body (bumping the relevant damage multiplier up to 1.05 or 1.1). They might also have a higher body temperature.

*Diona and IPC already change this number from its default in their definition, but they don't gain nutrition by eating.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another fun thing to note, that I just discovered.

Vulpkanin can sharpen their claws using a whetstone, for improved unarmed damage.

I main a Vulpkanin for reference here, seeing as IcyV seems to be going down the usual route whenever a suggestion about Vulps comes up.

Literally anything to counterbalance their positive traits would be good, because right now there's *nothing* to do so.

As for Flattest's statement about Vox, Vox also die without a mask, are uncloneable (as someone who mains CMO, this does actually come up quite a lot. Vox probably die less than humans because there's less of them to begin with, and they're rightfully paranoid about dying), and lose a pocket slot. Because they can escape permabrig easily (much like plasmamen), they're 10x more likely to be borged, or executed instead as well. There's a pretty solid tradeoff for not being able to be contained in perma, and that's being dead.

I'm pretty sure sharpening their claws on the whetstone is just a flavor thing and doesn't actually DO anything. Or at least that's what I've heard.

I'd have to look, then!

Honestly I just saw someone do it, and was like "wot". There's very little "flavor" in the code, since it gets cut out due to being "snowflake" - hence why I figured it was extra damage.

Vulpkanin can sharpen their claws using a whetstone, for improved unarmed damage.

It doesn't. You keep saying things that are wrong. It's not hard to check the code. I found it in about 10 seconds.

I main a Vulpkanin for reference here, seeing as IcyV seems to be going down the usual route whenever a suggestion about Vulps comes up.

And I "main" a Taj. Your point? My entire core argument is that you should be including other species into the idea of needing balancing disadvantages.

It doesn't. You keep saying things that are wrong. It's not hard to check the code. I found it in about 10 seconds.

And I "main" a Taj. Your point? My entire core argument is that you should be including other species into the idea of needing balancing disadvantages.

And there's another thread for just that, Icy.

Go comment in it.

I'm pretty sure sharpening their claws on the whetstone is just a flavor thing and doesn't actually DO anything. Or at least that's what I've heard.

I'd have to look, then!

Honestly I just saw someone do it, and was like "wot". There's very little "flavor" in the code, since it gets cut out due to being "snowflake" - hence why I figured it was extra damage.

You can also actually read my posts.

/obj/item/weapon/whetstone/attack_self(mob/user as mob) //This is just fluff for now. Species datums are global and not newly created instances, so we can't adjust unarmed damage on a per mob basis.

There is obviously an intention to make it not fluff at some point, seeing as it is "fluff for now", and not just "fluff".

And there's another thread for just that, Icy.

Go comment in it.

It's perfectly relevant to this thread given your argument applies in the exact same form to specific other species.

You can also actually read my posts.

/obj/item/weapon/whetstone/attack_self(mob/user as mob) //This is just fluff for now. Species datums are global and not newly created instances, so we can't adjust unarmed damage on a per mob basis.

There is obviously an intention to make it not fluff at some point, seeing as it is "fluff for now", and not just "fluff".

I didn't realize that because something may or may not happen in the future it changes how something works in the present. Huh.

It's perfectly relevant to this thread given your argument applies in the exact same form to specific other species.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8680

Spaghetti is relevant to pasta sauce, but if I'm talking about pasta sauce, and the topic is about pasta sauce, we shouldn't be talking about spaghetti.

I'd love to hear your specific suggestions, but if they're not pertinent to the species specifically being discussed in the thread, then you're just derailing the thread.

The claws are meant to be already sharp, and from what I have seen they do not really give much in the way of extra damage. Sure in a click fight the Vulp has a slight cutting advantage but really who fights without weps and means it?

This is about dark-sight, not the claws. I do think a slight disadvantage should be put into play, even though another races has dark-sight and the same lack of disadvantage. I would like to see a disadvantage not for statically trying to even out the race but so the race can seem slightly more different then the human.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use