Departmental shuttle announcements on comms

alexpkeaton

So, this is fairly straightforward. Have a message broadcasted on comms every time a shuttle launches or arrives at its destination. For example, cargo comms would ping every time the mining shuttle left/arrived, as well as the cargo shuttle.

Just like Beepsky alerts, these messages would let people know that these things happened. My purpose in suggesting it is half cargo related and half antag related.

Cargo: This helps cargo techs, but more importantly, helps cap and HoP know that cargo is doing their job. Unexpected launches can be known about, and this might help keep shady QM's a tad bit more honest.

Antags: Let's face it. The science outpost is an antag clubhouse. These announcements pinging science comms should help keep things a little more clean on science. That said, there should be a way to disable these notices, but harder than simply emagging a console (perhaps cutting a wire in one of those transponders used at the remote stations).

This is tcomms crap so it would be more difficult to code, but I think it might be a positive addition.

What do you think?

Much in the same vein that the cryo pod announcement was shot down on the github. This is actually a a nerf to antags. It can prevent the ability for any degree of stealth. For example if it's known there is cult on station and off station travel is banned or limited to certain people. Shuttle departures and announcements makes it fasr to easy for the AI to monitor it. The only sat without AI vision is the Engi sat and even then the pod entrance has cameras. Also I can imagine some jerkwad spamming the console to spam comms to alert crew members if they've lost their headset. Plus I'd find it super irritating.

...I think this is a really really good idea to stop antag clubhouses. It's an elegant solution.

I think emagging is a good solution to turn it off - not because it's hard, but because only traitors can do it and only if they spend the TCs for it.

This is actually a a nerf to antags. It can prevent the ability for any degree of stealth. For example if it's known there is cult on station and off station travel is banned or limited to certain people.

I mean... yes.

That's the entire point. He even directly mentions it.

Antags: Let's face it. The science outpost is an antag clubhouse. These announcements pinging science comms should help keep things a little more clean on science. That said, there should be a way to disable these notices, but harder than simply emagging a console (perhaps cutting a wire in one of those transponders used at the remote stations).

This is something we don't want, something we constantly get complaints about, and something that I'm glad people are looking into changing.

Not to mention that the Cargo shuttle notifications would be nice as well. It could lead to less gibbed miners. It will also give CT's more of a heads up as to where the cargo shuttle is (Anyone that plays cargo will constantly ask themselves "Huh, did I not send the shuttle back?").

Overall, +1, but with the feature freeze in place I don't know if this is possible to add.

Not to mention that the Cargo shuttle notifications would be nice as well. It could lead to less gibbed miners. It will also give CT's more of a heads up as to where the cargo shuttle is (Anyone that plays cargo will constantly ask themselves "Huh, did I not send the shuttle back?").

How are miners gibbing on the mining shuttle?

Ehhh, it'd give yet more power to the AI/comm happy RDs.

Do what the cargo shuttle does with the status consoles, those things that have BIG BLUE LETTERS on them, stick a couple of them in the lobby/HoP's office/bridge.

Then it's nice and visible and easily monitorable whilst still requiring a modicum of effort to keep tabs on them, as opposed to instantly being informed.

...I think this is a really really good idea to stop antag clubhouses. It's an elegant solution.

I think emagging is a good solution to turn it off - not because it's hard, but because only traitors can do it and only if they spend the TCs for it.

I don't think it should require emagging.

The satellites are predominantly used by cults, who don't have access to the sequencer.

It's possible, but INCREDIBLY frustrating and difficult to do cult research on station without getting caught.

It's possible, but INCREDIBLY frustrating and difficult to do cult research on station without getting caught.

Just to add onto this, when I was last on the sever sec had a universal policy of prowling everywhere they had access to and checking for hidden walls/scouting out know cultist lairs prior to any actual warning signs.

Getting into space somehow or bringing in superior firepower is the only way you're not gonna get screwed, antags are already at a disadvantage when it comes to off station access.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use