Make stunprods backfire

improvedname

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't go as far as a backfire, but I'd go with a chance to just not work.

At least you can whap someone with it then, having a chance to backfire makes it a net negative and thus totally worthless to spend time on.

That said, they're not that bad to begin with, but I cvould get behind that nerf. After the Feature freeze that is (No major balance changing PRs allowed atm.)

insulated gloves should negate that to like 5%

Why would gloves that stop a tesla/overcharged APCs, fail to stop a shittily prepared battery-powered stunbaton?

If you've got the real deal ins. gloves, then you're not gonna get shocked and you, frankly, have much better improvised alternatives.

Highly disagree with this one.

They already have the main disadvantage of having a lower charge than a stun baton and to charge them, you actually need to remove the battery instead of just shoving the weapon into an autocharger.

They already have the main disadvantage of having a lower charge than a stun baton and to charge them, you actually need to remove the battery instead of just shoving the weapon into an autocharger.

Its the most easiest thing to get hell with a little effort you easily can get a slime battery from xenobio which recharges itself meaning infinite power stunprods

Stunprod can be shoved into any charger. And its charge depends from cell it uses. Ask for bigger power cell from science to negate bigger power consumption.

A chance to backfire when used make sense because prod handle is made out of metal(!) bar and there is nothing insulating on the handle. So you better get yourself insulated gloves. cheap insulated gloves may either protect from self-stun or make it worser.

Stunprod can be shoved into any charger. And its charge depends from cell it uses. Ask for bigger power cell from science to negate bigger power consumption.

A chance to backfire when used make sense because prod handle is made out of metal(!) bar and there is nothing insulating on the handle. So you better get yourself insulated gloves. cheap insulated gloves may either protect from self-stun or make it worser.

Alright, I guess I been stuck in the old fashion ways of recharging stunprods, nice to know you can just use an auto recharger.

However, I don't see adding a self stun chance to the stunprod is needed. Sure, traitors and greytiders them use from time to time, but they are not a major problem to the station and definitely aren't overpowered seeing they been in this game for quite some time.

It's also easy to take down a person who is wielding a stunprod as security because you have a range based taser, flashbangs, and even e-bolas to slow them down.

Personally, when I catch people with stunprods, it only makes their sentence longer. Most of the time, they never even land a stun on a person or got caught for another crime and when searched, had more time added because of the prod.

One of tg's most recent additions was too make stunprods too big to fit in backpacks, making them an exosuit/belt slot item or back slot like spears. Can't fully agree with the change but it's had its results and makes validhunting that much harder and makes full on revollts, revolutions and gangs feel that much more satisifying.

Alright, I guess I been stuck in the old fashion ways of recharging stunprods, nice to know you can just use an auto recharger.

However, I don't see adding a self stun chance to the stunprod is needed. Sure, traitors and greytiders them use from time to time, but they are not a major problem to the station and definitely aren't overpowered seeing they been in this game for quite some time.

It's also easy to take down a person who is wielding a stunprod as security because you have a range based taser, flashbangs, and even e-bolas to slow them down.

Personally, when I catch people with stunprods, it only makes their sentence longer. Most of the time, they never even land a stun on a person or got caught for another crime and when searched, had more time added because of the prod.

Dealing with stunprods is easy yes but thats not the problem the problem is that anyone can pull out a stunprod at any time without you having time to react

Dealing with stunprods is easy yes but thats not the problem the problem is that anyone can pull out a stunprod at any time without you having time to react

This literally can be applied to any item of the game. You can pull out many items and quickly use them on a person.(Banana Peels, Soap, Space Lube, Screwdriver to Eye, Table then tie)

The questions you should be asking yourself is

A. Why are you letting them stand right next to you if they are a sketchy figure.

B. Why not call for help if they stun you?

C. Why were you in Maint alone(IF you were when they stunned you)

Honestly, this notion can be applied to many items in the game. Just because you happened to be a particular target of a stunprod user does not mean it needs to be changed. If you get proded, scream bloody murder and get help. If you are alone in maint and they pull your headset off, turn your suits sensors off, then that is your fault for being alone in maint.

This literally can be applied to any item of the game. You can pull out many items and quickly use them on a person.(Banana Peels, Soap, Space Lube, Screwdriver to Eye, Table then tie)

A. Why are you letting them stand right next to you if they are a sketchy figure.

Honestly, this notion can be applied to many items in the game. Just because you happened to be a particular target of a stunprod user does not mean it needs to be changed. If you get proded, scream bloody murder and get help. If you are alone in maint and they pull your headset off, turn your suits sensors off, then that is your fault for being alone in maint.

Stun prod is much easier to come by then lube, peel or soap. You can make one roundstart as ANYONE. You also can make secbelt in botany with ease and the fill it with 5 stunprods. While traitor weapons like esword, pistol, energy crossbow or revolver have costly tc price. Thats not normal to have weapon which beats traitor/sec weapon with ease availible to be made from crap without serious downsides.

Stun prod is much easier to come by then lube, peel or soap. You can make one roundstart as ANYONE. You also can make secbelt in botany with ease and the fill it with 5 stunprods. While traitor weapons like esword, pistol, energy crossbow or revolver have costly tc price. Thats not normal to have weapon which beats traitor/sec weapon with ease availible to be made from crap without serious downsides.

I'm sorry I don't really seem to understand what makes you believe that a stun prod is better and beat traitor and sec weapons. Someone charging you with a stun prod is no match for a tazer...

The stunprod requires a battery to make and using the lowest level battery only gives you a few whacks whereas the high capacity cell gives you a bit more. There are not that many high capacity cells lying around for people to grab at round start.

And in regards to certain items being hard to obtain, that is all dependent on what role you are and whether the chemist is nice enough to give you lube or not.

If you get chemist, all you need to do is click three buttons and bam, you got space lube.

In reality, I maybe only see one-two stunprods a round when detaining people and don't hear much people crying for help over a radio because of a stun prod. I imagine they are bit more common than that but not to an extent where they need a nerf.

Also, I don't think a stunprod is better than antag equipment/powers. A stun prod is literally a stun baton with a shorter stun time and smaller charge.

Any stun weapon is better then weapon without stun. What sense in high damage of e-sword when your target can just draw stunprod and hit you just once. Then picking up your e-sword and killing you. So capacity is not a problem. Even one guarented onehit stun is a great advantage.

And its stupid to rush with any weapon. So stunprods is often used for ambushes instead. Or sudden attacks.

Then don't get ambushed or rushed attack? This would usually happen in maint only or areas with poor lighting- Just go with a buddy if entering a sketchy area.

You may think a stunprod is all you need to take some one down but in reality, if you are battling multiple people, you are going need a bit more because it will run out of charge and or you will get disarmed/tazed before you can take everyone out. And if you do get stunned, it's part of the game. Some one has bested you with a stun prod which you could have countered with a glass bottle, aiming for the head, and on harm intent.

The stunprod has been fine for the time it has been in the game and I don't see any real need to nerf it because it is not ruining rounds.

^ This.

This is a solution in search of a problem, you get maybe 2-3 zaps from a prod before it goes out, if we're using purely maintenance gathered tools (After all, the crux of the argument is ANYONE can get them, right?) because mostly the only batteries that spawn in there are low grade, and they're actually not that easy to come by.

"But just ask science" is NOT a valid argument, because this is a CONTRABAND weapon, any -good- scientist will laugh at you asking for a higher battery for a stunprod and he damn sure isn't gonna give you a slime cell to some fuck off random civvie. You may as well be arguing "Just ask Security for a laser gun and ANYONE can get them." That's user error, NOT a mechanical problem.

If scientists/engies are giving out fuckin high-grade cells an xeno-bio experiments to people so they can make contraband weapons you should like. Maybe report them. Either to Security or to the CE/HoP. Because that's the fault of them throwing their gear at people, that's shit you cannot find in maintenance and thus not -everyone- can get. And if you're that job slot, well... that's the perks of being the job, same as a chemist makin' lube.

And it's also still illegal so you can get fired or brigged for it. So now we're back to 'Report it'.

>break into electrical maint with welder and wrench

>deconstruct one smess 6 high cap batteries

>theres two smesses

>no hard to come by

But that's grand sabo and leaving prints all over stuff. I mean, sure, it's nice to give the det something to do, but still.

The fact of the matter is that stunprods are trivially easy to make. The hardest part to source is the power cell, and even then those are dirt-simple to get from so many places. Making stunprods have a 20% chance to stun the user sounds like it'd be hilarious, and for that alone I'm tempted to just code it. Probably like a three line thing too - insert a little snippet that rolls a d100 before it stuns the guy and stuns the user as well if 1d100 <= 20. Would take longer to figure out how git works tbh

Except there is no point in nerfing them as they are fine already.

And why go through all that legal trouble for six batteries when you can only use one prod at a time? Security will just take you down before you get to making the prods.

As said earlier, it's not a problem on the station. They seem pretty balanced and in line with other items on the station.

So the basis of the idea here is to turn stun prod users into clowns...? Why would someone swing and hit themselves because they are using a stunprod? How is it any different than using a actual stunbaton? Apart from the fact that it's a shoddy weapon, the basic idea is still the same. Long stick with some sort of electrical charge at the end.

You give an example of taking apart a SMES, however as stated before that would now leave a huge trail of evidence behind just for some batteries for a stunprod. It isn't that good of an argument, since now the quick "wrench and welding tool" heist, turned into B&E, and sabotage. Making it a more of a security issue, and chances are you'll be caught rather quickly.

Edited by Guest

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use