Host the forum on a separate server

alexpkeaton

There are lots of cheap hosting services.

Putting the forums, wiki and database there would keep them up while the game server was down.

Even things like the discord bot would work. Downside: potential lag between SS13 server and database server.

Putting the forums, wiki and database there would keep them up while the game server was down.

Even things like the discord bot would work. Downside: potential lag between SS13 server and database server.

Just move the forums/wiki to a dedicated hosting service. Database doesn't need to move since it's largely irrelevant if the server is down, anyways.

I say hosting service, because having two physical hosts is just bound to generate friction/problems. Also, because Melbutts is supreme overlord and we can't have competition.

Just move the forums/wiki to a dedicated hosting service. Database doesn't need to move since it's largely irrelevant if the server is down, anyways.

I say hosting service, because having two physical hosts is just bound to generate friction/problems. Also, because Melbutts is supreme overlord and we can't have competition.

Except the fact that the forum uses a database as well..

If Mel goes down so will the DB the forum is connected to, and we're back at square 1

Can you not split the two DB's for the server, and forums?

I meant if the server is referencing a DB (notes, and other such things) then that should remain with the server host, but anything forum/wiki related could be moved to a dedicated host.

Can you not split the two DB's for the server, and forums?

I meant if the server is referencing a DB (notes, and other such things) then that should remain with the server host, but anything forum/wiki related could be moved to a dedicated host.

Yes, they're separate.

We'd just need to find a suitable webhost and get the heads inn on it

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use