Make Surgery Not So Vulnerable

Sif

For being one of the most important areas of the medbay it's far too easy to be breached in to. Anybody can get in to the ORs by breaching from the maintenance tunnels. They should not be that accessible for very obvious reasons, I think they should be located somewhere closer to the center of the medbay.

but-why.gif

Im not really seeing the reason. All tools can be replaced, if yer doing surgery and some one barges in, he has to have a reason. Only reason i would guess is to steal the N2O tank, but nothing else.

Removing maint access is really the only way to stop people getting in from there. And it's a damn useful maint access to have.

It's also not a particularly secure location with irreplaceable tools or anything.

Removing maint access is really the only way to stop people getting in from there. And it's a damn useful maint access to have.

It's also not a particularly secure location with irreplaceable tools or anything.

It's not about irreplaceable tools, it's the fact that Lings, Wizards, and just about EVERY antag can breach Surgery within seconds. When they get through surgery like that so easily it's damn near impossible to continue doing surgeries after that. One round I was dethralling a Ling and its friend burst through and Linged me within five seconds of it getting through the door. It's far too accessible, it's far too important to just leave that exposed.

Oh... another "I ded plox nerf"...

Wiznerd can just use teleport spell to get in, no problems. Tators have e-mags, takes 2 seconds to enter. Learn and live by hacking? Veteran player can hack a door open in 3 or less seconds, depends in lag and if byond is in a good mood.

Getting into somewhere does not mean its over... Slings can communicate and im sure he said hes in surgery. Tator with emag can get into armory in 10-15 seconds if he starts from sec maint. Wiznerd just teles in. Slings are not interested in it cause they cannot use weapons. Vampire just jaunt...

TBH, surgery is not that important of a Room. Ye can just set one up in the medical storage if ye really want. Magic of surgery is that ye need a table and tools. If yer dethralling Slings, ye really do not have time for N2O.

ALSO! SLINGS and LINGS are 2 very different antags.

Oh... another "I ded plox nerf"...

Wiznerd can just use teleport spell to get in, no problems. Tators have e-mags, takes 2 seconds to enter. Learn and live by hacking? Veteran player can hack a door open in 3 or less seconds, depends in lag and if byond is in a good mood.

Getting into somewhere does not mean its over... Slings can communicate and im sure he said hes in surgery. Tator with emag can get into armory in 10-15 seconds if he starts from sec maint. Wiznerd just teles in. Slings are not interested in it cause they cannot use weapons. Vampire just jaunt...

TBH, surgery is not that important of a Room. Ye can just set one up in the medical storage if ye really want. Magic of surgery is that ye need a table and tools. If yer dethralling Slings, ye really do not have time for N2O.

ALSO! SLINGS and LINGS are 2 very different antags.

You need a surgical table not to damage your patient more then he entered, roller beds and normal tables aren't as stable or dependable as surgical tables. Not to mention I am not doing this just because I am somehow angry at being rekt by antags, I just don't enjoy being so vulnerable as a Surgeon. Not to mention I am not the sloppy kind of doctor who just operate on people without being thorough with painkillers and whatnot. Doing it without N2O is pretty much a no-go for any doctor who takes themselves seriously. I had dethralled two people with N2O and sent them on their way within two to three minutes.

I understand you probably deal with kids that probably drive you nuts and whatnot but being this hostile over an innocent request is pretty unprofessional. I've enjoyed my time here at Paradise and majority of the admins have been kind and courteous so I don't have anything wrong with the place as a whole but you're really souring that opinion with this display here.

I am not entirely sure what you specifically have in mind for Surgery, especially considering this sounds like a mapping suggestion. I would gladly try to map it myself, but I have no earthly clue where or how you would want it, on top of that I would be basically mapping it according to a single person's idea of Surgery, which is not a good thing in most cases.

Considering how much more simple it is to map for byond than code, I would suggest mapping up your own version to show off/PR to ask for opinions. Otherwise, the mere concept of this idea can be discussed to no end, but without an actual proof-of-concept it will only be talks.

Im sorry, if i sounded hostile or anything, but its just my professional opinion.

Also just in case, mentors are people who have offered to share their knowledge of the game to help newcomers or some other questions that might come up. Mentors are not staff, being able to bwoink people, does not give one the title of staff.

I understand yer standpoint as a doctor trying to save people, but scientists workin in toxins are more likely to be attacked then OR if bombs are being made.

Requesting the ORs to be moved is not an innocent and a small request, i would take mayor remapping of medbay, since its hard to fit 2 5x5 rooms somewhere else in medbay.

My suggestion to ye is, that find some metal or a wrench and get metal from few table parts and use 4 pieces of metal to block off maint. access IF it has been breached once. Do not go around medbay blocking doors off "just in case".

Surgery is not meant to be a fortress. There's two of them for a start, and it's fairly easy to create your own. I've made cargo medbays myself plenty of times.

Moving all of medbay around to put surgery near the middle is a -huge- task, and would need to take into account more than just medbay's security. Having it that visible to all of medbay would really screw a lot of antag tactics, especially removing loyalty implants from people.

The only security I can really think of adding is either removing the doors or making the other half of the walls reinforced, which seems over the top.

I am not entirely sure what you specifically have in mind for Surgery, especially considering this sounds like a mapping suggestion. I would gladly try to map it myself, but I have no earthly clue where or how you would want it, on top of that I would be basically mapping it according to a single person's idea of Surgery, which is not a good thing in most cases.

Considering how much more simple it is to map for byond than code, I would suggest mapping up your own version to show off/PR to ask for opinions. Otherwise, the mere concept of this idea can be discussed to no end, but without an actual proof-of-concept it will only be talks.

Yeah I know redesigning the entire map based off of one persons suggestion is asinine and I don't expect it to be done on my suggestion but this is how it start as you and I both know. A single guy kicking a can down the road and talking to his fellow players & the admin team as a whole about the idea and a debate kicks up and the most practical idea that is brought up and checked to see if it's feasible is usually what wins.

My suggestion on where to move it as it stands right now would be moving it where the isolation rooms are by Virology. Seeing as there's several isolation rooms down there already I felt it'd make sense to use that space for the Operating Rooms and possibly add something like maybe another cloner or something a little more constructive compared to the Medicine Storage Area which does not get used at all.

Im sorry, if i sounded hostile or anything, but its just my professional opinion.

Also just in case, mentors are people who have offered to share their knowledge of the game to help newcomers or some other questions that might come up. Mentors are not staff, being able to bwoink people, does not give one the title of staff.

I understand yer standpoint as a doctor trying to save people, but scientists workin in toxins are more likely to be attacked then OR if bombs are being made.

Requesting the ORs to be moved is not an innocent and a small request, i would take mayor remapping of medbay, since its hard to fit 2 5x5 rooms somewhere else in medbay.

My suggestion to ye is, that find some metal or a wrench and get metal from few table parts and use 4 pieces of metal to block off maint. access IF it has been breached once. Do not go around medbay blocking doors off "just in case".

Yeah after those last few rounds I usually just ask AIs or Engineers to bolt the doors down and possibly electrify if if we've got maintenance antags nearby. I am gonna consider that idea of yours now and implement it going forward along with bolting the door.

If you're having a problem with surgery break-ins have the CMO use their door wand to bolt the maint access, this is something AIs do a lot on their own as well whenever there's a alert raise.

It's not really supposed to be a secure area though, it's important alright but nothing in their is irreplaceable, arguably the most critical bits are the surgery tables themselves and even they're easily mass producible.

I understand your concerns for wanting to make surgery safer, but I do not see a reason in remapping it, maybe removing the doors might make sense if everyone would like that. However if people are messing around there ask the CMO to lock it or the AI, im sure they would be happy too if there is a alert or suspicious activity in maint.

You also have duffelbags and MD lockers in surgery. Put tools in duffelbag and stuff duffelbag into locker, then close and lock - only someone with emag or other means to blast open the locker could get your tools.

You also have duffelbags and MD lockers in surgery. Put tools in duffelbag and stuff duffelbag into locker, then close and lock - only someone with emag or other means to blast open the locker could get your tools.

This.

You can also just ask the CMO to bolt the doors, which buys you time.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use