Atmos Updates?

SpaceTimeNow

I don't think much can be done outside speeding up LINDA's processes, and the only thing that does is make space wind 10x more tedious and lag the server worse than ZAS ever did.

Somehow i cannot believe that linda is as slow on other servers as it is by us. On paradise you have to use portable scrubbers and pumps like vacuum cleaner and drag them over all the tiles. Even with how linda works, it should equalize tiles a lot faster, i believe there are just some enormous bugs in the code. If an area needs like 20 minutes to equalize than there is something really fucked up.

Edit: words

Edited by Guest

The current atmos system is so ignorable it's barely a part of the game anymore IMO.

Unless you're actually taking a space walk or the area you're in is bombed to shit you can almost disregard it entirely, and that's a real shame.

Atmos code is hell and all, but I'd suggest getting something better ought to be a real priority, if only so to make space significant again.

On CM, breaches are a lot more dangerous. I assume this is the ZAS a lot of people speak of.

It is a shame that it causes a fair bit of lag, though.. I do agree that the current one is only really dangerous with big breaches, otherwise it isn't too problematic for engineers to fix and atmos to fix.

Maybe one day someone will tinker up something that takes the best of both codes to make something that is a little more like ZAS, but with a bit less lag, you know?

On CM, breaches are a lot more dangerous. I assume this is the ZAS a lot of people speak of.

It is a shame that it causes a fair bit of lag, though.. I do agree that the current one is only really dangerous with big breaches, otherwise it isn't too problematic for engineers to fix and atmos to fix.

Maybe one day someone will tinker up something that takes the best of both codes to make something that is a little more like ZAS, but with a bit less lag, you know?

CM indeed uses ZAS as it is based on baycode. ZAS works by dividing the map into zones. Like Rimworld. Confined spaces are their own zones, and so air transfers happen over the entire zone instanenously. If their is a breach in ZAS you will know because everyone in the room will immediately be flung towards the breach, or on higher difficulty settings, even sucked out the hole entirely. ZAS is great fun because generally idiots like to open those giant emergency doors and so air is constantly shifting around knocking people over. The downside is lag and occasional bugs that happen after fires or explosions that cause zones not to split and merge properly leading to wonky things happening.

Linda is the shitty replacement we have, reskin of the older FEA engine that SS13 was designed on (I say designed on because SS13 started as an atmospheric simulation in BYOND). Linda uses a tile-by-tile method, which causes less lag but is generally more tame and boring because, say, if a room breaches, the air will very slowly and painfully shift over tile by tile until it decompresses. The downside to Linda is it is a literal hugbox and is boring as hell, plus the fact that playing engineering is a hassle because refilling rooms is a pain in the ass.

No, there are not any "updates" we are missing that would actually significantly speed up air transfer. -tg- decided to run LINDA 4 times as fast, and it only makes space wind waaay more annoying to deal with. A room will still take minutes to drain. That's literally how LINDA is designed.

The only other update LINDA has had is a massive change to make gas datums generic and expandable, and it serves basically no purpose. It adds nothing, but makes anything dealing with gas datums incredibly expensive because it's using nothing but lists. BYOND handles lists awfully.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use