Self-imposed RP objectives

alexpkeaton

I can no longer claim to be a regular in the Paradise community, in fact, I can not even claim to be active on the server more than a couple of shifts every couple of weeks. Suffice it to say, great things happened in my life, and the cost of those things was giving up the time I spent playing here. That being said, I've lurked these forums several times a day lately. I miss Paradise, and I've been disappointed to see several threads bemoaning problems with the server/community, lower RP, stagnation, etc. I've contributed a few times in ways I hope were productive.

Some people (full disclosure, I identify with this group) wish Paradise would embrace more RP, more restrictions on prior knowledge - job-related or antag-related. However, there is a history apparently with such restrictions (not a good one) and a genuinely-held reservation that enforcement of such restrictions might destroy the playerbase.

So, here's my suggestion: create a list of random restrictions as well as quirks: for example, "your character knows nothing about vampires or cults", "your character holds no medical knowledge, he does not even know basic first aid", "your character is absolutely terrified of blood". Now, allow indiviudals to request a random "snowflake objective" if you will, during gameplay. Simply a prompt to provide an RP challenge to those who wish to give it a go. No punishment if you fail, in fact, no policing whatsoever by admins, just self-policing. This is simply to encourage an added layer of RP and fun. No greentext will be awarded atthe end of the round, but your objective and name will be published in the end-round report. Or, if the community prefers, no mention need be made at all.

I think that this will cause people to try out a new level of RP. They might find they like it, they may find they hate it. But some will try it, and that would be a success in my book.

I think the random nature of the objectives plus the possibility that the community will respond with a number of suggestions, interesting and bizarre, to add to the random list will add new dimensions to the community and the game. The gameplay, however, is 100% retained and the playerbase as well. Stories post-round of what some characters were handcuffed by will bring about new perspectives on the game, and people will be challeneged to play the game in ways they never have before, or at least never have since being a newer player. To me, this game is a game that is best when discovery is involved, and some regular players who have mastered everything surely have been getting diminishing returns in that regard.

I look forward to my next shift with you all.

Would be also nice to add departmental/job objectives for jobs outside science. Like having medbay and other usually messed up departments clean as janitor. Or evading beating and brigging as clown(beyond impossible).

Sounds easy to code, police, and entirely opt-in.

The -only- flaw I can see from this is people using it as an excuse to be shittlers, but that's just my paranoia as an admin. As long as the random things aren't "You're obsessed with starting fires!" then it isn't a problem.

I support the idea that some code monkey puts this in and a bunch of players should write objectives for it.

I like the idea of optional knowledge blocks.

Also, goon objectives. Each person getting a small and usually fairly minor objective at the start of the round so *everyone* can spice it up.

Could we set up a git document or google doc or forum thread in which people can submit their objective proposals? If you publicised it I'm sure it would fill up with suggestions right away.

Quoting from brainstorm thread to keep that thread on track:

What about job specific objectives? Like engineers could desire multiple engines or X amount of power produced. the CE could get a random desire to build a supermatter engine. Atmosians could have a desire to build tube transports. The chef could get a desire to open up a burger shop.

I think it's a great idea as long as it is an opt-in system.

Perhaps "knowledge restrictions", "quirks" and "aspirations" could be separate categories one could select to receive random prompts from.

As long as the RP objectives aren't too harmful to people around the person in question, I myself think it would be a decent little idea to give a non-antag something to work towards to spice up a shift. Science already sorta has a form of objective for its staff to tackle, so maybe allowing more people the choice of getting an objective of sorts to aim for to challenge them would make things more interesting for everyone, even if it is as mundane as speaking with a British accent. I'd take on that challenge no problem.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use