Ticketing system for secs.

Farya

Well, we have fine amounts for most of the crimes in Spess Law but fines are never actually used in practice. That barcode scanner just too complicated to use and you cant bring one along with ease.

So how about making a ticketing function for security PDA? So you can either officialy warn someone with ticket issued or fine people by issuing fine ticket. Fines however while issued still needs to be confirmed by HoP to actually work from terminal near his office. Thats how it works at Goonstation at least.

While I think that having alternate forms of punishment besides brig time is a good idea fines are probably not the right answer given Paradise doesn't have a functional economy.

All a fine will likely do is prevent the person paying the fine from being able to buy food or toys from the vendor in the Cargo bay lobby.

Also it's super easy to win millions of dollars at the slot machines in the bar so that any fine you pay will essentially be a slap on the wrist.

It'd only really work as a punishment if we had persistent round to round bank accounts, and I think that idea was shot down due to it's griefability potential.

Be a better way to deal with things like "vandalism" though.

I like the concept of security issuing tickets and fines as alternative to brig sentences for the lesser crimes (especially things like vandalism or indecent exposure) that don't really warrant a full 5 minute sentence. While the EFTPOS device can be confusing to use, nothing stops you from simply hitting the nearest ATM and making a cash withdrawal for the amount (can also be used to try and bribe the less moral officers).

However, as stated, the current "economy" system doesn't really support it. Generally speaking, the average crew member spends very little money through a typical shift, with the main expenses being cigarettes and snacks, or the occasional merch store purchase. This means all you are really going to accomplish with a fine or such would be preventing them from buying a racial flag, yet another pack of smokes, or perhaps another go at the claw game.

I'd be all for supporting the issuing of tickets and fines and such IF we first can make money matter.

I like the concept of security issuing tickets and fines as alternative to brig sentences for the lesser crimes (especially things like vandalism or indecent exposure) that don't really warrant a full 5 minute sentence. While the EFTPOS device can be confusing to use, nothing stops you from simply hitting the nearest ATM and making a cash withdrawal for the amount (can also be used to try and bribe the less moral officers).

However, as stated, the current "economy" system doesn't really support it. Generally speaking, the average crew member spends very little money through a typical shift, with the main expenses being cigarettes and snacks, or the occasional merch store purchase. This means all you are really going to accomplish with a fine or such would be preventing them from buying a racial flag, yet another pack of smokes, or perhaps another go at the claw game.

I'd be all for supporting the issuing of tickets and fines and such IF we first can make money matter.

The main problem of EFTPOS scanner is that you need either HoS or HoP to make it work because you need to assign on of department account as one where all fines would be going. Ordinary officer have knowledge about that obviously.

And it would be good to make a real economy on board. Make the clothes vendor require money for clothes. Transfering money from round to round would be nice too if you survive however. If you did not made it your account will reset to some standart ammount for your job.

Some new vendors would be fine too, if there are some ideas for them. And how about special fridge for cook, so he could actually sell food for crew and the money made will automaticaly flow to civilian department account? I also hardly believe the all that booze in the bar are barmen property. But he have a scanner already it just have no use.

To be honest, I think having some sort of citation system in place would be great even if there weren't monetary fines attached. Just to have a way to quickly write people up with warnings or a record of what got them tossed in for their fifteen minutes of shame.

I could look into implementing this, like on Goon, but...keep in mind, that's mostly for gimmicks and not really as *actual* punishment.

ie:

"Fox McCloud has been officially told off by Nanotrasen security for being fuzzy"

"Honk McFartington was fined $1000 for farting on the Bible."

As much as I like the idea of alternate punishments that don't involve pacing in a 3x3 cell, this wouldn't fix much. The kind of officers who will brig you for the full time for trying to break a window are arresting you just to brig you. If a citation or ticket was standard for minor crimes they'd ignore them, and if was optional they always pick the brig sentence.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use