Grezlin Race Stat Suggestions?

Travelling Merchant

So recently Razek and I have been working on a race called Grezlins. Flattest Guitar might help too.

They look like this:

nRKxs.png

(Male and female)

nRKHG.png

Hardsuit mockup (Syndicate):

nY8nk.png

They work in game and look great! The problem is, we cant settle on some unique stats for them.

The initial idea was that they could construct/use tools in reduced time, but those are hard-coded in.

The next idea, which is our current plan, is to have them have slightly increased move speed at the cost of needing more food and having extremely easy to break legs. The idea is that having easy to break legs means they shouldn't be overpowered in a fight, since you could whack their legs with something heavy and run off.

Unfortunately, the speed idea might be too much. (I'd love to hear your opinions on it.)

So now I'm hear to ask if anyone else has any interesting ideas for stats or abilities that would fit this race.

Speed is perhaps the single most important factor in winning fights, if you're faster, odds are you will win everytime.

Advantages based on it are routinely shot down for that very reason, probably gonna need some serious balancing to be feasible.

I'll say what I said earlier: it will be impossible to balance combat if their speed is buffed. A gremlin with a stunprod will have a massive advantage 100% of the time, regardless of how fragile he is.

Also, I'm not sure about the code capabilities of buffing speed by small increments. I've been told it has to be done in fairly large ones, but I don't know why.

Edited by Guest

Little bastards look like they'd eat about anything. Maybe give them toxin resistance.

Are they meant to be short? Maybe they could do more damage if aiming for anything below the waist and it becomes a biting attack. (No clue if that's possible, but hey, dream big.)

Otherwise, uh... Hrm. :I Possibly giving them a chance to activate those 'mysterious objects' or whatever found in maintenance, without needing to fuck with the experimentator. Make em techy little fucks.

Little bastards look like they'd eat about anything. Maybe give them toxin resistance.

Are they meant to be short? Maybe they could do more damage if aiming for anything below the waist and it becomes a biting attack. (No clue if that's possible, but hey, dream big.)

Otherwise, uh... Hrm. :I Possibly giving them a chance to activate those 'mysterious objects' or whatever found in maintenance, without needing to fuck with the experimentator. Make em techy little fucks.

Since they were originally supposed to be good with machines (We also had the idea that they could do very minor borg repairs without tools, but that cant be done) I do love that object idea.

But no, they are the same height as humans.

Toxin resistance is interesting, but I don't know how often it would really come into play?

I played Spiral Knights for a while. I think that will be right thing to do. Maybe add them possibility to macgyver craftable things using less materials and worser tools? Maybe even craft more things. Atmos piping from metal or plasteel for example.

Let them be able to construct makeshift tools using scrap metal, and upgrade these makeshift tools too. Like a larger welder. Welds much quicker, but eats fuel like it's candy.

double-ended wrench, longer wrench with a head at each end, two tile reach for wrenching things.

multi-use-crowbar, a crowbar with the bottom tip altered to function as a screwdriver, can screwdriver and crowbar objects.

Just ideas. But I want a little gremlin tinkerer with huge deadly experimental devices!

What if they could sense which wires will shock them when cut or pulsed, instead of something like natural insulated gloves. This would make hacking without gloves safer, but not give them immunity to things like shocked doors, overloaded APCs, and electrified grilles. How do they do this? Bluespace.

They could also be able to tell the quality of budget insulated gloves (If anyone doesn't know, budget insulated gloves can be as good as insulated gloves, worse than bare hands, or be better than bare hands but not offer full protection. This is decided randomly when they spawn).

as a gremlin enthusiast i am offended by how drastically their digitigrade anatomy ends at the waist and turns into the standard SS13 humanoid body. could do with being shorter and/or a hunch

but given this is a stat suggestion thread and not a general gripe thread -- gremlins are infamous for blowing themselves to shit on a regular basis. slight fire/explosion resistance? or pain tolerance? or, as the goggles are sprited in, some sort of inherent eye stat buff, possibly welder resistance (this is iffy because i dont know how this would interlap with flasher resistance which obviously shouldnt be a species-wide thing). this is all assuming of course that their likeness to gremlins doesn't end at just the sprite and name

as a gremlin enthusiast i am offended by how drastically their digitigrade anatomy ends at the waist and turns into the standard SS13 humanoid body. could do with being shorter and/or a hunch

but given this is a stat suggestion thread and not a general gripe thread -- gremlins are infamous for blowing themselves to shit on a regular basis. slight fire/explosion resistance? or pain tolerance? or, as the goggles are sprited in, some sort of inherent eye stat buff, possibly welder resistance (this is iffy because i dont know how this would interlap with flasher resistance which obviously shouldnt be a species-wide thing). this is all assuming of course that their likeness to gremlins doesn't end at just the sprite and name

Give them slight eye regeneration over time when not hungry. So they could just regenerate their vision over time. They would still need googles as engineers but they could work without them in emergency.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use