Goddamn Snakes on this Goddamn Spacestation

LiquidNightfury

With the recent github pull that seemed to createan active amount of...'debate' over the presence of a race of lamia, and the convergence of a few other events, I found myself wondering upon the opinions of the community as a whole regarding the topic. Some people seem against the idea due to the popularity of naga/lamia in other...communities, or due to the dilution of paradise with more and more races (not really an argument with what Para has already).

Curious about the whole subject, and spurred on by the sprites of Europa's Kyaik (head to toe snake, unlike the snaketail sprites on human bodies) I wrote this document fleshing out my idea of such creatures, the 'Ophidia', and I thought it might be worth finally putting it out there for the discussion of the community.

Beyond the topic of the Ophidia, I'm curious on your opinions on the topic of races - is there space for the melting pot of the Cyberiad to expand, or is the level of uniqueness we can have in our races capped out with what we have now?

I will always support more races, as long as they're unique and come with unique mechanics. Only downside to having more races aside from making Goofball have an aneurysm is having the Cyberiad suffer from "Cantina Syndrome".

I'm always game to have more races/customization options, provided they're of quality and avoid issues similar to the ones presently being held by things like plasma people and Kidan.

I'd personally prefer more non-animalistic races, but that's more because we have a decent set already and I think there's room to go more "Out there" with alien species.

That said, I'm not AGAINST them, I'd just prefer others, and I feel a snake race would be neat.

making Goofball have an aneurysm

I know it's not good to promote such actions but given the subject I would like to see it play through.

"Cantina Syndrome".

I am curious as to what this is and whenever it can be made into an IC virus if interesting enough.

• Being snake beings you'd think they wouldn't have broken bones but that's too much an upside, let alone no amputations. They need both but if you want you could give them reduced chance to break bones and more to brute damage (but that's becoming too much of a trend it seems...).

• They don't need night vision. Not unless other species get it first and I'm pretty sure they don't.

Might be a problem if they have a full body suit and still get cuts on their tail. I don't know what it takes to snowflake but I can guess this might.

Related to above, how are they to be treated without legs? Would their whole bottom half be their crotch? Would their tail be treated as a single leg? Are tails already a limb/organ/thing that you can interact with on mobs? This will bring more problems but I want to believe these would be things looked into eventually in hopes of finding more beneficial code to work with.

Wasn't this one of the fears stated when lamia tails were finally pushed into the code? Admin only but give it time; someone will want to make it into a race? Not that I mind, I'm all okay with more options of any sort. Just food for thought ;)

am I the only one who doesn't know why snek ppl have such a bad stigma associated to them?

Because some people leap to the assumption and mental image of fetishes.

Do a google search.

Personally IDC, but that's what some people snap to on being told "I want to make playable snake dudes/dudettes"

That's my point in making this, really. I don't want to call it spite, but trying to prove that it can be done well or done properly. The document, of course, is WIP - While the main component is the lore, I felt it worthwhile to throw in some gameplay traits for some sort of a framework.

They don't need night vision. Not unless other species get it first and I'm pretty sure they don't.

Several degrees of night vision are coded in, particularly on the unathi and tajaran. I don't know if these have any actual effect ingame, but the code is there, unless 'darksight' is something else.

Cantina syndrome, if I'm correct, is in reference to a Star Wars Cantina - that is to say, a wash of dozens of different aliens with no two alike. Bit excessive, I think is the point.

Kluys, I have to disagree, save for the amputations, which was mostly me trying to not have to code tailgib. Darksight appears in a few races already, and the movement speed boost isn't sustainable, counteracted by minor hunger, disablers, or even by moving out into a region of the station where the air temperature is standard. Beyond that, the advantages of the race are niche, which is the point - they have different dangers to focus on, different values to maintain.

It should be worth noting here that I'm working under the assumption that any race introduced is going to end up as a karma race. Were it simply available to everyone, the design would be quite different. Anyway, made a few small changes.

I think the Kyaik are baller as fuck. The sprites are bloody wicked, and with some improvements to the lore I know it'd be mint. It's not no wierd half-body shiz, which will make it considerably less sickening a concept to some people. However, like I saw in the PR that got them on Europa, "Sprites are WIP pending better ones"-- although I figure it only needs some tweaks, if anything. And furthermore, "In case people come across this thread and get outraged, sneks are kinda just a toy for now, they won't be part of the final lore. Code will be used for nasties in the ocean map though, probably some kinda smart eel monster."

Really looking forward to seeing how this goes, as I'd jump for joy if it was added in-- regardless of KP price tag and nerfs. But I feel it'll meet opposition to the point of dismissal, as unfortunate as that is.

Having looked at the sprites, it just seems to be a quality thing. The ones they have are very strongly aliased, and it shows. They need some minor retweaks, at best. The tail is another case entirely, and might require some actual animated sprites to end up looking quality, because they tend to...break horribly if you turn a corner.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use