Tweak Drunkenness Thresholds

unmovedmover

Could we modify the drunkenness thresholds to more realistic levels?

It's ridiculous to be puking and even pass out after a single drink.

Socializing over drinks is made nigh on impossible with the current thresholds.

Not to mention the bar and surrounding areas often become covered in vomit.

Edited by Guest

+1

I've made it headcanon that NT are using methanol and other cheap crap, but it's stupid that I can barely talk because I drunk 1 beer.

i just wanted to point out the ingame evidence of how much a "unit" of something is.

based on the ramen cup instructions, 1u = 1ml

based on doing math from blood scans of people its 1u = 1.5ml

50u X 1.5ml = 75ml

75ml = 0.075 liters

and for americans that dont use this metric system, just google it and google will give you a calculator.

there has to be something SERIOUSLY wrong with you to pass out from 0.075 liters of beer

inb4 someone comes and says "then you just have to limit your drinking mheeeeeh"

No, of course you shouldn't be able to drink a bottle of whisky and be all alright, but the current threshold is ridiculous.

there has to be something SERIOUSLY wrong with you to pass out from 0.075 liters of beer

Exactly.

i just wanted to point out the ingame evidence of how much a "unit" of something is.

50u X 1.5ml = 75ml

75ml = 0.075 liters

and for americans that dont use this metric system, just google it and google will give you a calculator.

it's pointless to do this---trying to equate units to any real world measurement is...well, again, pointless, because there's no consistency--especially when you start factoring in syringes blood amount on a person, etc.

50u X 1.5ml = 75ml

75ml = 0.075 liters

it's pointless to do this---trying to equate units to any real world measurement is...well, again, pointless, because there's no consistency--especially when you start factoring in syringes blood amount on a person, etc.

I know its pointless, but what else do you do when you are bored and want to contribute to something?

But now the issue of what the new threshold would be, 3-4 drinks maybe?

Here is what seems reasonable to me:

0-2 drinks - No effects

3-4 drinks - Slurred Speech

5-6 drinks - Vomit

7+ drinks - Blackout

These thresholds assume all of the drinks are consumed at the same time, of course.

By "drink," I mean the alcoholic equivalent of one glass (50 units) of Space Beer.

[quote="Cobradude"

Here is what seems reasonable to me:

0-2 drinks - No effects

5-6 drinks - Vomit

7+ drinks - Blackout

Looks good. Here in aus a 'standard drink' is a 0.75ml of pure ethanol, so a 30ml shot of whiskey. Those numbers there look like a good threshhold for people to be able to choose their drunkness, and not throw up from a single beer.

humans can only contain 300 units aka 6 drinks at any time though.

Bear in mind that there are other drinks in the game which have a higher alcohol content per unit volume, e.g. vodka. So, while it might not be possible to reach the highest threshold with Space Beer, it would be possible with other drinks.

Also, the rate at which blood alcohol concentration depletes relative to the rate that liquid stored in the body depletes is worth considering. If BAC depletes at a slower rate than liquid stored (I'm speculating here), it would be possible to reach the highest threshold, even with Space Beer. It would simply require more beers drunk over a longer period of time.

• 2 weeks later...

Bump.

What are the chances of this suggestion being added?

If the response to this thread is any indication, I think most players would appreciate this tweak. Also, I can't imagine it would require much work to implement. Then again, I'm not a coder.

I should also mention that I'm not particularly attached to the numbers I mentioned earlier.

I.e.

0-2 drinks - No effects

5-6 drinks - Vomit

7+ drinks - Blackout

They were my first pass at more reasonable thresholds. Someone with a deeper understanding of the systems involved should make the final decision.

There's a pull request ATM tweaking all ethanol versions, with the coders arguing heavily over the exact values as normal, so quite likely to have some form of tweak soon.

Then we can all argue about it not being quite right and start the cycle anew.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use