Add a mime mineral to balance out with bananium

ProperPants

Everyone is aware of the rivalry between the loud and obnoxious Clown the silent and cunning Mime. The Clowns, according to the lore, have an entire planet, complete with Clown troops and Bananium. Clowns are even loved by their god-queen, the Honkmother, who actually has an adminbus sprite! The Mimes get no such love, no Mimefather, and no Mime ore. Well, the Mime deserves some love too, and it should start with the addition of a new ore.

The name of this new ore is up for debate, though I have "Silentium" on my mind. The method of obtaining it is also debatable. Bananium is rare because everything that can be produced by it is for the Clown to make the crew's time on station more of a living hell. Silentium should be the counter, easier to get a less drastic on the crew. With this in mind, perhaps adding it as a normal ore would be fine. Otherwise, I suggest a crashed Mime ship with a cargo of Silentium, similar to the crashed Clown ship full of Bananium.

As far as I know, Bananium can make two things (outside of the grenade casings and whatnot that you create directly from the sheets). These two are the HONK mech and air horns in R&D. To counter, the Mime also needs a mech and something that can be created in R&D.

The Mime's Mech:

I don't know what the name of this mech would be - something French or perhaps QUIET, similar to HONK. Just as the HONK has three unique modules (HONKer Blaster, Banana Mortar, and Mousetrap Mortar) so should the QUIET mech have three modules. I propose these modules to be

• A Noir Bomb/Blaster - Every tile, entity, and object caught in the blast will be colored black & white, as if they were in an old film. The code could be borrow from the detective noir glasses. Anything entering the blast zone later would retain its color, and any person originally in the blast will be black & white and mute until the effect wears off. The effect time on players and NPCs should be as long as the HONKer Blaster's effect of deafness is. The effect on objects and tiles should be permanent.

An Invisible Wall RCD-esque Module - This module allows the construction of invisible walls anywhere. For balance, perhaps only allow it to make a certain number of invisible walls, which can all be deactivated at once. The code for this could be borrowed from the RCD and the Janitor's holosign projector. Additionally, the walls are visible to the pilot of the QUIET mech and nobody else.

I forgot what I wanted as the third module in the process of writing this - feel free to discuss. I managed to think of a Baguette Launcher. It feeds the crew ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The Mime's R&D Items:

What would be really cool would be more Noir HUDs. For all of them, everything expect the following would be black & white...

• Science HUD would only color items with tech origin/research value, slimes, and beakers/chemistry apparatus.

Medical HUD would only color people who are sick or injured, pills/patches/pill bottles, and surgery tools

Security HUD would only color people who are set to arrest (or other criminal status), weapons/armor, and Beepsky.

Diagnostic HUD would only color IPCs/cyborgs/maintenance drones/bots (bucket, ED-209, etc.), surgery tools, and regular tools/toolboxes/toolbelts.

Noir mesons would color mining tools, ores, and mining beasts/all NPCs.

All Noir HUDs would color people in the respective department (based off the ID they are wearing, just like TComms scripting), including the head of that department.

Of course all of them would need "Silentium" to create.

Let me know what you guys think. As ambitious as this sounds, I genuinely believe it wouldn't be that hard to do - a lot code could be copied and modified from elsewhere. After that, there may be a map edit to make "Silentium" available.

EDIT: I forgot to say the Mime could get a "Silentium" statue in his office like how the Clown has a Bananium statue.

Edited by Guest

There already exists a mime mech, called the Mimech. It is completely silent when moving. Currently adminspawn only. It comes with a gun called the Silence Carbine, which mutes people hit with it but otherwise it doesnt do damage.

The best use for Bananium on /tg/ was bananium floors tiles. Anyone who walked on them would squeak as if wearing clown shoes. Touching (clicking) on a floor tile adjacent to you would honk as if an bike horn.

Install them everywhere to drive security crazy, put them infront of Robotics to assert your dominance in not making a honkmech.

Tranquility in french is tranquillité, which already sounds like some kind of metal. So thats one option.

Inb4 alloy of Clown-ore and Mime-ore to create insanely OP endgame weapons.

There already exists a mime mech, called the Mimech. It is completely silent when moving. Currently adminspawn only. It comes with a gun called the Silence Carbine, which mutes people hit with it but otherwise it doesnt do damage.

Some of the work is already done then, so it should be even easier for this to get in the game.

Mime mech's called 'The Recitence' and the silence carbine's called the 'Quietus' as far as I'm aware. Really unique design.

I pitch 'baguettium', 'parisium', and 'silencium' as possible candidates for the elements. Silencium probably makes the most sense, as the first two are rather weak.

Ironically we've talked about making this before, if only to afford a way to make the Recitence. The mech, as it is, indeed has the said carbine as well as an RCD.

All the ingredients are here! Tasty, please, if this whole idea seems reasonable to you, at least open a PR to begin this.

Tranquillite I really like as a name.

The mech if I remember was a bit stupidly fast, and the rcd could be used for quite a bit of trolling. Imo it should self destruct if you speak while inside it.

The mech will need to be at least slightly modified before being buildable; I'm fairly certain the gun for example doesn't currently work right, so there will probably be changes to the mech if implemented (at least so it isn't somehow more crazy than the HONK, although it's probably less annoying as it stands.)

Poor Mime. The flag in his office tells a tale of repression, of brave Mime revolutionaries who fought for freedom for the tyranny of the clowns.

Hard pressed to think of a third one. Maybe something with bottles of nothing. Syringe Gun thing but with Nothing.

I support element being in space. Same z-level as Clown shuttle maybe. Both crashed in combat against one another or something.

Honestly I just want a showdown between the Clown and Mime in both Mechs.

I support element being in space. Same z-level as Clown shuttle maybe. Both crashed in combat against one another or something.

Honestly I just want a showdown between the Clown and Mime in both Mechs.

Yes. Both of these things. And I think the mime's mech should have some sort of ability to completely, and hilariously, neutralize HONK mechs. Mime becomes the hero when the roboticist goes rogue with bananium.

A Noir Bomb/Blaster - Every tile, entity, and object caught in the blast will be colored black & white, as if they were in an old film. The code could be borrow from the detective noir glasses. Anything entering the blast zone later would retain its color, and any person originally in the blast will be black & white and mute until the effect wears off. The effect time on players and NPCs should be as long as the HONKer Blaster's effect of deafness is. The effect on objects and tiles should be permanent.

Yesterday I learned that there is an adminbus machine that turns anything to pass through it black & white. This machine literally has the word mime in the name. Combined with the silence gun the existing adminbus mech has, the Noir Blaster could easily be made.

Yes, this machine used to be on the clown planet when the gateway was both public (no access required) and always lead to just that one place. It didn't really work for every single item you put through it, just mostly clothing.

@Tastyfish

What if for the sake of irony (and lulz) the Clown shuttle is changed so it's crashed into a Tranquilite wall?

What if you can replace all instances on the shuttle as spawners and make it random per round? Clown or mime stuff. That would be interesting

Silencio Mime Division Report 411:

Our first experiment with bananium conversion was a success.

The material has lost all Honktitude, and is suitable for our purposes.

The clown army has yet to notice the bananium missing from their mining asteroid - they appear to be preparing for bluespace transit.

We'll make sure their celebration doesn't last long.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use