Make EVA suits like other hardsuits

ProperPants

Currently, the generic, grey EVA suits found in the EVA Storage room behave differently from every other hardsuit (as far as I know). I request that they be changed to behave like all the other hardsuits, meaning that they should have the helmet be attached to the suit and be helmet be toggleable when worn. My suggestion also stems from a sprite bug when wearing those EVA suits as an IPC; parts of my body sprite clip through when wearing those suits, but not when wearing any other hardsuit. I imagine it's something to do with the way other hardsuits are coded (though I can't confirm it). Either way, it seems odd to me that the EVA suits behave differently from every other hardsuit. I believe it should be standardized.

P.S. If the EVA suits aren't technically considered hardsuits in the code, then perhaps they could just be made as such.

P.P.S. How many times have I repeated the same thing in this suggestion?

EVA suits =/= hardsuits.

EVA suits are the bare minimum of what you require for space travel, and hardsuits give you a little extra if I'm not mistaken.

Although if you're talking about just the spritefix thing then sorry yes we need that

EVA suits are the bare minimum of what you require for space travel, and hardsuits give you a little extra if I'm not mistaken.

Looking at the wiki, you're right about different hardsuits having different stats. The EVA suit should continue to be a bare minimum/vanilla suit for exploring the vacuum of space, but I feel as though it should be part of the same "put the suit on a rack, attach the helmet to the rack, put on the suit, toggle the helmet on" system.

If that can't happen, so be it, but my main issue is the sprites. The sprite issue for IPCs seems to also exist for other hardsuits, but it's not as pronounced as when wearing an EVA suit. Maybe we could have hardsuit sprite overhauls race by race...? (I'm looking at you, FlattestGuitar)((It's up to you man, I don't want to seem super demanding)).

Yeah, making it fit over more species would be nice, but I still personally believe they should stay equippable the way they currently are - They're classic space suits I believe, the kind where you have to click the helmet into place to wear or something. And hardsuits are basically super-scifi space-resistant suits of armor (Think Dead Space), EVA suits are spessman suits with conventional tech able to be understood by anyone with basic experience with technology (Think almost any 60's - 90's era Sci-Fi movie). Hardsuits are made of metal and are used to protect yourself in certain hazardous conditions in addition to the vacuum of space - EVA suits are just insulated space-proof suits used to shield yourself against the cold vacuum of space and should not need to be that fancified. Lorewise, EVA suits are also most likely much more cheaper than hardsuits and it'd be a waste of money to stock EVA with like 10 advanced suits when you can do the exact same thing with the spessman suits without wasting money on something civvies are just gonna steal anyway. And why the fuck would you even waste money on making weird nanomachines or some shit to make a trashy plasticy helmet fold up into a spaceproof piece of cloth?

yes i will fight to the bitter end to keep EVA suits as they are mechanics-wise, i love that retro kind of shit in this spess game >:(

Plus literally every other station makes EVA suits this way and I feel it's best to keep it so here.

Again, I will 100% support the making-it-fit-weirdly-shaped-species and such but I'd rather not touch the mechanics.

EVA suits are space suits, not hardsuits.

They lack flash protection so people don't just go around wearing on 24/7 with partial flashbang/total flash immunity.

People are free to sprite alternative things for different species, for any clothes, but that's a sprite issue and one that you guys will have to do, yourselves (or convince someone); most of us coders are horrible at sprites.

Making EVA suits into hardsuits isn't going to magically solve the problem of awkward looking spacesuits; that's 100% a sprite thing.

Alright, you've all convinced me. I now agree that EVA suits should stay the way they are; I never realized how different they are from hardsuits.

The sprites are definitely bugged though. I'll wait for someone to reply saying they'll try to sprite it, or PM a spriter if no one replies for a while.

I kind of want EVA suits to work with any species able to wear soft suits (minus vox as they don't need them). Would it be possible to make a sprite that accounts for the other speices, at least for the helmet? I know the suit would be another issue in on its own.

Aside from what I believe is horrible or nightmarish character overlay code, can someone explain why some layers just can't become invisible when certain clothing is equipped or is it just too difficult/no one wants to code it?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use