Switch asteroid turfs to unsimulated ?

Jey123456

In the atmospheric topic, i remembered of a stupidity i saw on baystation years ago, i somehow expected they would had rectified that long ago but i guess not since our turf are still simulated down here.

Any particular reason why we are keeping them as such ? I mean from a cpu load point of view, it makes no sense for most of the asteroid to end up in the LINDA workflow everytime an airlock / window / wall is forced open inside one of the stations on it (especially that with LINDA speed, that workflow will basically never end due to the sheer distance until it reach an unsimulated to empty in.

For those that dont understand what im saying. Basically we have 2 types of turf (floor), simulated and unsimulated.

Simulated are the floors used in stations shuttles etc. They have the code in place to handle atmospheric simulations.

Unsimulated are kindoff a cheat floor used to save on performance by not simulating atmospherics on them and simply assuming they are vacuum. The atmospheric code handle them as such (the space with the stars you see outside the station for instance, is unsimulated turf).

I cannot think of any reasons why we need the asteroid dirt / ground (not the bases on the roid, but the actual rock) to be simulated. I suppose someone could wall off a corner and make it breathable, but is it really worth adding such a strain on the atmospheric code when its already among the top 3 cpu usage on the server ?

Some people enjoy setting up small pressurized bases there, and making the asteroid fully unsimulated would also make the prison camp completely unusable - any prisoners sent out to mine would suffocate/be torn to shreds.

Some people enjoy setting up small pressurized bases there, and making the asteroid fully unsimulated would also make the prison camp completely unusable - any prisoners sent out to mine would suffocate/be torn to shreds.

Could always make a larger section of the asteroid near the camp simulated and keep the other tiles un-simulated. I don't see prisoners mining that far out cause they will space them selves either way or run into wild life.

Could always make a larger section of the asteroid near the camp simulated and keep the other tiles un-simulated. I don't see prisoners mining that far out cause they will space them selves either way or run into wild life.

Making any turf unsimulated would zero out any chance of escape via mining (not that there's any chance to begin with or anything). That, and, should someone mine that far, an admin might not figure out what happened in the inevitable ahelp about why they died due to atmos.

A lot of things cease to function, too, on unsimulated.

Blood, vomit, overlays, some effects, etc.

A big one: simple animals out and out die.

A lot of things cease to function, too, on unsimulated.

Blood, vomit, overlays, some effects, etc.

A big one: simple animals out and out die.

Huh!

I'll keep that in mind when Xenobio unleashes hell.

Is there a way to hook asteroid turf into being unsimulated without losing the functionality of overlays or simple mobs?

As for the base argument, when you build tiles to make a pressurized base you're creating simulated turf.

Having part of it simulated (like prisoneer camp for instance) would not really be a problem.

If i understand the other limitations properly, that would mean the mobs on the asteroid are not marked to live in space ? It would be possible to add an in between tier (unsimulated ground or something like that), that allow for those specific mob that dont need air or heat to survive to live on it. Its pretty normal for dogs and chicken to die on the asteroid so im assuming your refering to the specific mining related mobs.

For those who want to build small bases on the roid, that still work even on unsim turf, you just need to make a floor. The Blood, vomit, overlays, some effects could also be added to that new tier of unsimulated. The whole point of unsimulated is to not have to simulate the thousands of turf that become active whenever an atmospheric related incident occur on one of the station on the asteroid.

Another alternative that would require a lot less changes and still greatly reduce risk of the asteroid becoming contaminated with air (cpu load) would be to only surround the constructions on the asteroid with a line of unsimulated version of their turf. Essentially acting as siphon if a breach / atmo problem do occur it stop right here instead of spreading all over the place over the course of hours.

I mean all that complaining about LINDA being so heavy, and yet we have the asteroid which represent a huge chunk of that load for no particular reasons xD.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use