Replace the CE's RCD with the advanced RCD and RCD changes

isaac

The CE's RCD should be replaced with the same RCD that the engineer ERT's have since normal RCD's are trivial to acquire and the easiest greentext possible and all of the heads have special super duper cool experimental equipment that only very few people have access to (ERT and deathsquad). Giving the CE a ADV RCD and changing the objective to steal a ADV RCD would actually make the task a bit more challenging and not a simple walk in cargo hack lathe and be done kinda deal. Also a ADV RCD would make grand engineering project go a bit faster and make emergency repairs station repairs easier due to 5 times the capacity

Also some RCD changes would be wondrous for ambitious engineers. Reduce the RCD size to allow it to be put in a tool belt, allow it to make reinforced and regular full windows, and be able to change the door style and door access on the door option.

i have no problems with giving a higher capacity RCD to the CE.

On the other hand, i do think that adding to the RCD ability / portability would be a mistake. As it is right now, its already ideal for quick emergency repairs / construction, but for proper custom / reinforced works, it should require to be done by hand.

RCD being smaller would also mean that it would not be written when put in the backpack anymore, which would stealing / hiding it even easier.

hmm maybe your right about the size change but still it is something that should be used by construction workers. Maybe make the ADV RCD fit in toolbelt and normals non toolbeltable?

hmm maybe your right about the size change but still it is something that should be used by construction workers. Maybe make the ADV RCD fit in toolbelt and normals non toolbeltable?

i disagree. The rcd is a "cheat" tool, it should not be the goto tool for all construction.

yes, to some extent. I'm perfectly fine with how the rcd is now, its powerfull but has its restriction.

What i disagree with is adding more options to the rcd, essentially making hand building useless (at which point, why bother with it at all ?)

have you ever tried to build anything outside of repairing breaches? Its not easy to do it in a short amount of time. Any kind of construction that's more than floors and walls takes a extreme amount of time on a large scale. Being able to create reinforced windows, airlocks with access and airlock type and a larger matter capacity would be excellent and would be balanced out by the fact there is only 1 on station and it belongs to the CE. Normal RCD's are fine the way they are and are nearly accessible to everyone since all you need is a hacked autolathe and cargo/sci usually does it 5 minutes into the shift making the steal the RCD objective a absolute cakewalk

uh reinforced window (i assume your refering to a grill + 4 reinforced glass applied all around ?) If you prepare your reinforced glass in advance (use autolathe or spam click a bit). Then its only 7 clicks including taking the rod and reinforced glass from your backpack. If you make larger window, its even faster since you only have to do the exterior lining. If you keep the rod and glass in your hands, then its only 5 click for each subsequent one, you can also do 3 window for a tile at the same time

I had meant a full window no grill since 2 small windows are inferior in construction to full windows since blueprints only work if the room is completely 100% enclosed with walls, airlocks, and full windows only. Still being able to quickly build things is the point of the RCD.

alright then, sorry, 9 clicks, or if you split the work in 2 and first place all your full window, thats 3 click per window. so for 30 window that 90 clicks, then 1 click to the remaining glass away, 2 click to take out screwdriver and crowbar. then click page up click for every window. For a total of 153 click and 30 page up for 30 window (thats a pretty decent room size).

Assume one operation per second, thats still only 3minutes.

I know what the rcd is for. But its not here to just plain simply replace actual construction operations.

I agree that the CE's RCD should be unique.

Possible steal objectives:

• HoS' laser gun is unique, and spawns in his locker.

• RD's teleport armor is unique, and spawns in his locker.

Cap's gun is unique, and spawns in a locked, alarmed case in his office.

AI is (usually) unique, and spawns in the AI minisat, arguably the most secure place on the whole station.

Hand tele is not unique, but there are only two, one in the captain's office, and one in the tele room.

Jetpack is not unique, but they are located in EVA, which is a secure yet highly visible room with a motion alarm.

The CMO's defib is unique, spawned in their locker, and usually carried on their person for most of the round.

The CE's magboots are unique, and almost always worn by the CE.

The CE's blueprints are unique, and stored in his locker.

The NASA voidsuit is not unique, but they are bulky, obvious, and stored on telecomms.

The slime extract is not unique, but they are stored in xenobio.

The captain's medal is unique, and stored in a locked box, in his office.

The captain's nuclear disk is unique, usually stored on his person.

The secret documents are in the vault, usually accessible to nobody without AI intervention or very obvious hacking.

The hypospray is unique, spawning in the CMO's locker, and usually carried by them.

The ablative armor is unique, and stored in the secure armory.

Of the 16 items, 12/16 are unique, 2/16 there are only two of (hand tele / NASA suit), and the remaining 2 are in areas it is very easy to be caught breaking into (jetpack/EVA and slime/xenobio).

Additionally, most of the 16 are in some sort of locked container (locker, case, whatever), not left out in the open.

The normal RCD is not unique, it is not in a locked case, and it is easily printed by multiple departments (cargo and science).

Heck, you can probably get one just by asking the QM, a scientist, etc.

Arguably, it is by far the easiest theft objective to obtain.

Making it more in line with the rest of the objectives would require making it unique (e.g: advanced RCD), and likely moving it to the CE's locker, where the blueprints already are.

I also agree that the CE getting the advanced RCD would be nice for construction purposes.

It would be rather like the other heads' unique items - unique and useful for their job.

I don't think it is necessary for the advanced RCD to be able to configure airlock access, but I do think it would be neat if it was:

• An advanced RCD, instead of a normal RCD, making it unique.

• Stored in his locker, or at the very least a locked container, like the majority of other head items.

Preloaded to full capacity (because nobody wants to load all the cartridges in one by one!)

CEs don't generally do large scale construction, possibly due to how tedious it is relative to the short round length.

Perhaps that's the best argument for this - it would enable eng to do larger-scale construction projects not previously possible.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use