Sans as a hallucination

Sans

We can't just add other game's content into our codebase willy nilly; we'd need express permission for this kinda thing.

This isn't even an homage or likeness, this is pretty much straight up using their sprite.

Nah.

Like.

I love Undertale as much as the next guy, and minor references are amusing buuuuut this seems a bit too far for me personally.

A line of dialogue in an Examine description or something, absolutely but...

Out right having Sans shows up feels eh to me.

Ya know,because Giger is gonna be happy seeing Xenos in-game~ >:]

((Too soon,I knoooow.))

But ya,it's pretty much a joke post because a certain somebody mentioned how lulz it'd be to have Sans in-game.

ERHEM NTSAM ERHEM.

I also gave the IPC in sparks signature a flowey screen,as well as NTs avatar.

http://prntscr.com/99dymf

Edited by Guest

Holy Emprah, in less than two hours. I'm impressed.

OI CODERS WE GOT NICE SPRITES ADD NOW.

No, really. If you make the red bits black and remove the winged skull on the back, it would make a decent DeffSquid armor.

Well I could probably work on some stuff / otherwise requests. Though I'm not really sure what format to actually use for SS13. Like, PNG, 64x64? That sorta stuff.

Oh, the sprites for SS13 stuff are 32x32px, and in .dmi format.

You need to make them in Dreammaker, to open it, just go to the icon files of the code and open any file. It will open the editor.

Or just look it in the BYOND folder, wherever it is.

Also maybe first wait to see if Fox froths over it or not, because it would be a shame if your work just went to waste.

You can import png into DreamMaker, just make sure the image dimensions are some factor of 32px. You can also edit .dmi files by manually changing it to a .png, just be aware that removes all the names that each icon used but it does give you animations as well. Useful if you want to just change the hue of everything

On the topic of Undertale, I think it is a little too soon to be adding it into the SS13 universe - I personally don't believe enough time has passed to assess whether or not Undertale is really going to last as a cultural staple.

Putting this in comparison to other cultural icons referenced in SS13's code, the 'Alien' franchise kicked off in 1979, and is still remembered as a staple of western sci-fi cinema - it's not just 'some movie' - I would personally argue that it enjoys similar cultural status to Jurrasic Park in terms of how it is remembered for its groundbreaking impact on western cinema.

The station-AI is a scramble of different cultural references mashed together: Firstly, the Asimov Laws of Robotics came from sci-fi fiction author Isaac Asimov, all the way back in 1939. The default Shodan AI image is of course a reference to System Shock in 1994.

There's also the CentComm Officer 'uniform', which is a reference to the Special Forces Commando outfits from Fifth Element (1997).(I might be wrong on that one - feel free to correct me)

The most recently-dated cultural reference I can think of in the server is ponies* how SS13's engineering hardsuits are pretty much copies of the RIGsuits from Dead Space, released in 2008. Other than the much earlier System Shock franchise, there hasn't really been a sci fi horror game that quite matched Dead Space's theme. Furthermore, the use of the hardsuits fulfills a practical application in the game, and in terms of visual communication, it's easy for a newcomer to the game to take one look at the hardsuit and make the mental connection to sci-fi engineering.

*I'll touch on that later.

There are a hell of a lot of other references I've missed - including 2001: Space Odyssey, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Robocop, Portal, Terminator, Dr. Who, Star Wars, Soylent Green, and probably a dozen others that I haven't noticed yet. What these references have in common is that they're all from media that each of them satisfies at least one of the following:

• It maintains a sci-fi theme.

• It has stood the test of time and is generally accepted as a staple of western media culture.

The reference is incorporated in such a way that it fulfils or is suited to enriching a niche or facet in the game.

As a final example, Paradise has a surprisingly filled-out and fully sprited mob roster for essentially the entire cast of the "My Little Pony" franchise - but they only appear during rare displays of admin abuse. Right now, I'm willing to bet someone's going to quote this along the lines of "Oh boy, not THIS fucking whinebox again," and that reaction is exactly what I am talking about: MLP was a pop culture fad in the sense that it had its day, and now that day is done - references to it feel insipid and bland because its fandom it is no longer considered relevant in pop culture.

This is not, of course, to downplay Undertale's popularity - I personally found the game brilliant, but it was also released in September of this very year. It's way too soon to make the call of whether Undertale will be remembered once it stops riding the wave of pop culture, and it's far too soon to determine whether or not it'll still be in good taste when that happens.

Edited by Guest

On the topic of Undertale, I think it is a little too soon to be adding it into the SS13 universe - I personally don't believe enough time has passed to assess whether or not Undertale is really going to last as a cultural staple.

Putting this in comparison to other cultural icons referenced in SS13's code, the 'Alien' franchise kicked off in 1979, and is still remembered as a staple of western sci-fi cinema - it's not just 'some movie' - I would personally argue that it enjoys similar cultural status to Jurrasic Park in terms of how it is remembered for its groundbreaking impact on western cinema.

The station-AI is a scramble of different cultural references mashed together: Firstly, the Asimov Laws of Robotics came from sci-fi fiction author Isaac Asimov, all the way back in 1939. The default Shodan AI image is of course a reference to System Shock in 1994.

There's also the CentComm Officer 'uniform', which is a reference to the Special Forces Commando outfits from Fifth Element (1997).(I might be wrong on that one - feel free to correct me)

The most recently-dated cultural reference I can think of in the server is ponies* how SS13's engineering hardsuits are pretty much copies of the RIGsuits from Dead Space, released in 2008. Other than the much earlier System Shock franchise, there hasn't really been a sci fi horror game that quite matched Dead Space's theme. Furthermore, the use of the hardsuits fulfills a practical application in the game, and in terms of visual communication, it's easy for a newcomer to the game to take one look at the hardsuit and make the mental connection to sci-fi engineering.

*I'll touch on that later.

There are a hell of a lot of other references I've missed - including 2001: Space Odyssey, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Robocop, Portal, Terminator, Dr. Who, Star Wars, Soylent Green, and probably a dozen others that I haven't noticed yet. What these references have in common is that they're all from media that each of them satisfies at least one of the following:

• It maintains a sci-fi theme.

• It has stood the test of time and is generally accepted as a staple of western media culture.

The reference is incorporated in such a way that it fulfils or is suited to enriching a niche or facet in the game.

As a final example, Paradise has a surprisingly filled-out and fully sprited mob roster for essentially the entire cast of the "My Little Pony" franchise - but they only appear during rare displays of admin abuse. Right now, I'm willing to bet someone's going to quote this along the lines of "Oh boy, not THIS fucking whinebox again," and that reaction is exactly what I am talking about: MLP was a pop culture fad in the sense that it had its day, and now that day is done - references to it feel insipid and bland because its fandom it is no longer considered relevant in pop culture.

This is not, of course, to downplay Undertale's popularity - I personally found the game brilliant, but it was also released in September of this very year. It's way too soon to make the call of whether Undertale will be remembered once it stops riding the wave of pop culture, and it's far too soon to determine whether or not it'll still be in good taste when that happens.

Oh boy,not this fucking whinebox again.

No but seriously WELL WRITTEN my good sir.*Applauds*

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use