Just docked on Space Station 13 - Paradise

DM20

Hi,

I'm also new, got onto Paradise just before it was D-listed. I really enjoy this game like I've enjoyed no other for a very long time; I'm a long time table top role player. Trolled a little at the beginning, nothing to serious, just blocked access and stole pushable objects from people. It's hard when your new to learn a complex game, and this one has particular etiquette that you need to understand too. Now i'm more immersed in my roles on board the ship.

I've mostly played botanist for many many hours and still haven't completely mastered it. I like to be in character and often choose random names and appearances, but I also play Dudenheimer and Earl MacNeil.

I've tried other servers but really only liked playing on Paradise. It may be because the rule set is slightly different between servers, but I also liked the larger population, and something about Paradise seems more put together.

Anyhow, that was a mostly pointless rant, more of an introduction i guess. I'm usually a lurker when it comes to forums and the like, but I promise to pop back in and post here or there.

Cheers!

Edited by Guest

Welcome!

Maxwell Edison/MAX Ed-OS-n/Corporation Clown here, but you already knew that because I posted it in that other introduction thread.

If you see me around on the server feel free to ask questions about Science (specifically Robotics/R&D/Xenobio). I've also recently learned a little engineering: I could show you how to set up the Singularity and Solars for power generation to the station. I'm always glad to teach anyone anything that I'm familiar with!

If you've played Botanist for any reasonable length of time then you probably know more about that role than I do. I can grow regular plants and help keep the kitchen stocked but when it comes to mutating plants I'd be super lost. If you ever need unstable mutagen or a floral somatoray I can get usually get them for you from the Science department.

Don't ever be afraid to try new roles once in a while. If you're lucky you could get a round where there's other people in the same department who are willing to show you the ropes! If there's nobody responding on the department radio you can also ahelp and a mentor or admin will get in touch and help you out! The first time you play any given Command role I also find it's a good idea to ahelp and just let them know it's your first time playing such a role so they can fill you in on the basics.

Good luck out there, dude!

Thanks Maxwell,

I'm about to migrate over to robotics and or chemistry under a new alias. There is still a lot more I want to do in botany too. I've been species mutating a lot of plants, feel like I've got a good system for that, but I still need to experiment more with stat mutations and gene splicing. Sometimes I extract reagents like fungus or gold and deliver them to R&D or Chem, but usually no one asks for reagents from botany. Also lately I've been getting a monkey from the bio generator and ejecting him with mutated chili oil, radium, or whatever else i can extract from my plants! So far all he's done is vomit!

Heh, I do need an engineering tutor, I spend a whole round the other day setting in the meeting room sipping coffee. I had the good fortune of a robotics session with a good tutor. He let me extract a brain and build some mechs.

Anyhow, hope to meet IC sometime. I'm super ill right now but will be on again soon.

PS. Yea i saw you were in Seattle. That's why I updated my profile. I'm actually in Lynnwood, but figured, who knows where that is?

Glad to hear you had a good experience in Robotics! The basic stuff there is fairly simple, especially when you have the Robotics guide pulled up in a browser. The guide doesn't go too far into repairing IPCs but that's generally not super difficult either. If you ever want to learn about that I'd be glad to show you.

As far as Botany I had absolutely no idea you could get gold from plants!!! If so that will make you VERY popular with R&D. If mining is being slow we need some other way of getting certain materials like silver, gold, uranium, and diamonds. If Botany can supply any of those then that would help R&D get rolling just that much quicker.

For Engineering the big things you need to know are construction and wiring. The wiring guide (under "Basic Construction" on the wiki I believe) is a little vague in some places but once you figure it out it's not that difficult. The guide for setting up the Singulo is comprehensive enough that I was able to set it up on my own my first round as an Engineer with little to no help. The Solars are a little trickier and required a bit of EVA to wire them up, but once that's done you can just set them to auto-track the sun to charge. You can also wire them straight into he main power grid so the SMESs (the batteries that store the power from the solars and then provide it to the station) charge via the Singulo and can then act as back-up power in case the Singulo goes out for whatever reason. Once again I'd be glad to show you all of that as I've been playing Engineer a little more lately.

I'm not on the server right now, I'm actually at work right now, but I'll be on later this evening. My ckey is Keroman just like my forum name if you want to add me as a friend and message me once you see me get online.

Lynnwood is super familiar to me. I grew up in Mountlake Terrace so I spent a lot of time at the Alderwood Mall, up and down 196th, and Aurora Village. Sorry to see you're leaving town soon!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use