Demeaning approach to a situation

Edd

Admin Key: Fre3bie

Complaint: I was earlier been going on over a PM about how I've been feeling neglected by the staff when it had come to dealing with security officers not following SOP and doing absolutely donkey-like things. People being let off with a pat on the back, after doing round ruining or greatly bothersome things.

I am the warden, Fre3bie is the Head of Security. We go to Code Red due to whatever reason (hard to tell without having access to command frequency) so I run over to the armory thinking, "People have been making complaints in :S about the lack of officers currently on, I'm going to arm them". I'm met with HoS blocking my way in to the armory who tells me off. There had been some previous exchange of words over :S about my warden and his ICly behavior (which frankly is meant to make people uneasy). My warden gets told off, upset about the way he has already been treated that round, zaps the HoS once with a taser after yelling "I quit!".

Side Note: People have been getting away under the reasoning "IC issue" for beating up people they've cuffed and brought in by using harm intent.

I run off to security maintenance, going to make my way to the security checkpoint to, well... Do nothing in particular. I hadn't thought as far as what me/my character would do there. I get boinked by Fre3bie, saying something between the lines of "So, you're complaining about SOP and now you broke it yourself?" before freezing me stuck. I feel startled, seeing I only zapped him, I ask if I'm going to get job banned and I was asked to answer the question (take note from here on I do not recall most of the conversation). I explained something about, being tired of people slipping about from things they shouldn't be doing.

This followed a set of words and a conversation I really did not like in the way Fre3bie spoke to me about it, starting from the first sentence (refer to the quoted sentence above). I made it clear at least twice that, I'm not liking the way he is going on about it (I didn't specify why, I just said I'm not liking the way he's handling this, assuming he knows why). He goes on, I say it again, he goes on, I told him to "Shut up and stop with this".

Then I was banned for exactly that, telling him to shut up after many times trying to let him know I'd love it to the fullest of extents if he did not try to handle the situation in such a demeaning way. I never said I am outright going to ignore him and not want to resolve the situation, I just wanted him to stop making me feel demeaned with the way he approached it. It was rude to tell him to shut up, agreeably, but no one wants to be demeaned and ignored.

Here are some things post-ban the main complaint is above and what's below does not directly concern Fre3bie:

I was told "we are not obliged to care, players get to make no demands" by a game admin I spoke to it about over Byond afterwards, thinking he'd agree with me to it. Obviously didn't, leaving me with the thought that I was just told "you can't do anything about this".

I was called thin skinned for not wanting to be demeaned and voicing my dislike of it, yet I was banned for telling someone bluntly to not go ahead with they way they spoke to me despite trying to make it heard I didn't like it at all.

"Putting it bluntly" often comes out like it sounds; blunt. People make a straight-forwarded and rough explanation of a situation or thing at hand in the most sound way possible.

Everyone knows you do this voluntarily. Everyone appreciates you for it. Without a sturdy staff team online games which's servers require one couldn't flourish, but just because it is voluntary should not mean you can handle things in whatever manner you want. Players by the end of the day also keep the server running with their activity on it.

Probably to many current staff members being part of the staff team is the closest thing they've ever had to a job. When I say job, I mean given responsibility over something that by the end of the day adds up to the big picture. You wouldn't behave in a way that might rub people in the wrong way at your workplace.

Hi there,

I'm not entirely sure what parts of this were demeaning, beyond the "So, you're complaining about SOP and now you broke it yourself?", so that is all I can really go off of. What you did isn't exactly a breach of SOP, it's breaking Space Law, which is literally the opposite of your job. "Don't taze your boss" isn't included in SOP because it should be blindingly obvious not to do that. Especially during a code red situation, quite possibly the worst time to do it.

Having broken the rules, Fre3bie was quite in the right to speak to you. I see nothing wrong with the way he spoke to you. Pointing out your hypocrisy here is fine.

Telling an admin who is talking to you about breaking the rules to shut up is not a good idea at all. Fre3bie put it fairly bluntly, and rightfully so. If you break the rules, a short and blunt PM is fine. Outright abuse is not, but you did not receive this. The PM from Fre3bie was in no way abusive. Demeaning is a word you keep using here, enough that I thought I'd double check the exact meaning of it: "causing someone to lose their dignity and the respect of others".

In this case, his words were not demeaning. Your own actions were.

Unless there was something else particular he said that could be called abusive, I see nothing wrong with what he has said and have to find this complaint without merit.

Additionally, In response to your comments about this being the "closest thing they've ever had to a job", apart from being utterly wrong - and coming across as rather insulting - I'd like to point out that this isn't so much a job where the players are co-workers or customers, but much more akin to being a kindergarten teacher, with rules to enforce. Or perhaps a nightclub bouncer, where they are to eject anyone they feel does not benefit to the atmosphere of the place. Telling a teacher or bouncer to "shut up and stop with this" is going to get you thrown out on your ass, or put in a time-out in the naughty corner.

Alright, thanks for the output. I have nothing other to say, than that I've received some insight and I'm sorry if my comment about "job/administrating" came out as insultive. I tried my best to write the main post without anything that could aggravate or be found unpleasant.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use