More utilities

Tauka Usanake

So it's nice having the tool storage and garden and like but I kind of wish there was a little more public access areas. What about a mini chemistry area that a portable chem dispenser could be housed in? Some small medical spots that you could bandage yourself up at? Maybe a public autolathe just in case there's something that needs to be built?

I understand the reason we wouldn't have half these things is because they might be abused and I'm not saying I won't be one of those people who would like to use them. Not to make griefing tools of course but things I could use in my playthrough or have for IC reasons. I don't see any dependability in Chemistry or R&D/Cargo to help someone get something they have in their possession and ID locked to their department (not sure if this is the case in Cargo but I think it is in R&D? Maybe just their R&D machines). Maybe they can be more restricted versions of the machinery and be upgraded to allow for full usage. The portable chem dispense is already like that.

This is going to get shot down fast I'm sure, but I just wanted to throw it out there. I personally think it would be a nice addition to the station if not also a possible security risk to griefers

Any additional access to chems and tools is just going to make griefing easier.

Anyone who needs said tools/chems already has access.

Excluding roboticists, who need sulfuric acid to make circuits.

Like others have said it encourages griefing- a bigger issue I see is that by making things public access you render jobs completely obsolete- Cargo's now half as useful as they were previously, chemist is all but useless, and you only have to go to medbay if you're seriously injured.

Yeah, I figured as much. Too much griefing possibilities. I just don't like having to ask someone for certain items and they be all like "noap, fuck you scrub". Granted the items I would ask for would deserve that kind of response and I have been denied before. There's just no other way to get certain items without someone else being competent or nice in that job. OR abusing the HoP's power to change your job to whatever access you need. I don't want to do that because it takes too much time and is bad RPing.

I can understand the autolathe being a bad choice and the job limitations extra utility spots would make (even though Chemistry is kind of supposed to always help Medbay and you TECHNICALLY only should go to Medbay for serious injuries. Never saw the reason for Cargo to have an Autolathe unless it's to supply items to people who request them, in that case I really have no faith in them). If this is the case then there just needs to be more reason for trade I guess. You just need to get something out of handing an item out. As money serves little to no use here and Cargo can pretty much order whatever they want it just seems like a moot point now. Let alone Chemistry who normally gives zero shits about anyone else outside of their drug haven and R&D because SCIENCE.

No one really likes anyone outside of their own department. Kind of like Nations gamemode

Yeah, I figured as much. Too much griefing possibilities. I just don't like having to ask someone for certain items and they be all like "noap, fuck you scrub". Granted the items I would ask for would deserve that kind of response and I have been denied before. There's just no other way to get certain items without someone else being competent or nice in that job. OR abusing the HoP's power to change your job to whatever access you need. I don't want to do that because it takes too much time and is bad RPing.

I can understand the autolathe being a bad choice and the job limitations extra utility spots would make (even though Chemistry is kind of supposed to always help Medbay and you TECHNICALLY only should go to Medbay for serious injuries. Never saw the reason for Cargo to have an Autolathe unless it's to supply items to people who request them, in that case I really have no faith in them). If this is the case then there just needs to be more reason for trade I guess. You just need to get something out of handing an item out. As money serves little to no use here and Cargo can pretty much order whatever they want it just seems like a moot point now. Let alone Chemistry who normally gives zero shits about anyone else outside of their drug haven and R&D because SCIENCE.

No one really likes anyone outside of their own department. Kind of like Nations gamemode

It's hard to give any advice when it's not clear what you're trying to do.

Botany gets unstable mutagen from chemistry all the time. Robotics and miners coordinate all the time as well. Engineering, atmospherics, security, genetics coordinate with other departments all the time as well.

The main reason to deny someone tools is the potential for greytiding, and I don't give civvies a damn thing without good reason.

What I should do is make them fill out several pages of paperwork.

I can definitely support some mini triage clinics available, even if it's as simple as adding some emergency nanomed machines (the smaller, wall-mounted ones with very limited stock) to a couple public spots. This would offer bandages, ointment, and autoinjectors to help perform the most basic of triage so that you can get to medbay without bleeding out on the way.

Adding chem dispensers or autolathes to public access areas, however, is not something I can entirely support for the reasons mentioned above (griefing, reducing the impact of certain jobs). Adding some more ways for a civilian to contribute would be nice, but the problem is that many civilians simply don't want to contribute much beyond a solid object to the nearest skull. That aside, another issue is simply mapping space. Much of the station is already quite densely packed, so adding new areas to the interior is quite difficult to manage in a way that doesn't obstruct the flow.

I can definitely support some mini triage clinics available, even if it's as simple as adding some emergency nanomed machines (the smaller, wall-mounted ones with very limited stock) to a couple public spots. This would offer bandages, ointment, and autoinjectors to help perform the most basic of triage so that you can get to medbay without bleeding out on the way.

Adding chem dispensers or autolathes to public access areas, however, is not something I can entirely support for the reasons mentioned above (griefing, reducing the impact of certain jobs). Adding some more ways for a civilian to contribute would be nice, but the problem is that many civilians simply don't want to contribute much beyond a solid object to the nearest skull. That aside, another issue is simply mapping space. Much of the station is already quite densely packed, so adding new areas to the interior is quite difficult to manage in a way that doesn't obstruct the flow.

This Yes!

this can help save some players and it ether easy to add in too.

Some small nanomed machines does sound nice. However just a little worry, but are those capable of being hacked like the larger machines that end up murdering the station? Just in case someone does end up trying to fix the vendor before it infects all the others on the station if the hacked machine ends up one of those types then it's going to be tough trying to find it. Not impossible but it's really not something you want to happen anyways.

And I fully get the idea of the no chem dispenser and autolathe. The comments can stop on those. Seriously I know it wasn't a completely good idea, now it's just getting depressing

Hey STOP making that tiny writing it really hurting my eyes

well Here how to near fool proof your idea in a few easy steps.

1. Is it going to make griefing easier?

2. Is it going to make greytides easier to do bullshit?

3. Is it really helpful to non-greytides?

4. All above.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use