Vortigaunts oh jeeze!

ErinCrowe

Vortigaunts are a species from half-li "BUT ERIN IT'S A NEW SPECIES!" Just let me finish first alright? Okay.

Vortigaunts are from Half life. Heres my sprite for them:

Vortigaunt%20ss13_zpss2ehl3ql.png?t=1443498899

"ERIN I AM UNSURE WHAT VORTIGAUNTS ARE!"

Well here's what they are and what they do:

Vortigaunts will have some pros and cons as to not make all of the ss13 community scream about snowflakes or whatever so here they are.

Pros:

- Hive-mind

- "Special snowfleik powers like the ability to heal anything other than themselves."

- 8 of them surrounding a body can all decide to revive somebody if their corpse is still fresh.

- can shoot bolts of electricity which can charge things but takes time to replenish.

Cons:

- are slightly slower than humans.

- can still be facehuggerererded or whatever the term for it is.

- Require oxygen to breathe.

- Cannot wear shoes or most clothing.

- Can be equipped in shackles which stops them from being able to use ANYTHING I wrote in the pros section, but acts as internals.

- Traitor Vortigaunts can't access the hive-mind because they are part of another hivemind or something I don't know.

- Can't use human firearms.

So yeah, between the "kewl snoflek powaz" and the cons I think they are pretty balanced.

(By the way, I put their hands in the same place as human hands.. so they can carry things, Maybe.

Don't know if the sprite is gonna be a huge issue for that but meh.)

Also feel free to recommend other pros and cons because I wrote this pretty quickly and don't know if it would be balanced so, go ahead and actually make educated guesses for me instead.

This is fuckin' cool. I think these would be awesome, but its highly unlikely we'll be adding any new races soon. And something like this would likely be an event/gamemode/adminbus race.

Top notch sprites as well.

This is fuckin' cool. I think these would be awesome, but its highly unlikely we'll be adding any new races soon. And something like this would likely be an event/gamemode/adminbus race.

Top notch sprites as well.

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm not against adding a new race but I don't think it should be done just yet. Otherwise I guess it sounds balanced? It's going to be an expensive karma race that's for sure

I mainly just do things I would personally like to be added and even if it's an expensive karma race I'm totally okay with that.

I earn tons of karma as it is and would just LOVE to have a character be one of these.

I'm not the biggest fan of half life but this species in particular is probably one of my favorite alien race designs I have ever seen.

Edited by Guest

These are sweet sprites, I think this'd be better suited to events, or perhaps something similar like the golem mechanic where it's slaved if you have the shackles on it etc. I love the sprites though, really well done.

Could be summoned through the gateway maybe, if the gateway leads to xen then ghosts could spawn in as vortigaunts.

I would still like it to be an insanely high costing karma race though.

I used to roleplay one of these on a gmod server and I have to say they were probably my favorite character.

Even if it costs like 100-200 karma I would still like it as a choice if possible.

That pro/con list is long and crazy.

It doesn't fit the race balancing method we have on Para, either.

Give me guidelines and I will follow them. I'm just a newbie amateur spriter who barely knows the game itself as it is.

Edit: Is it really that long? Because I could have gone way deeper than that if i really wanted to

Give me guidelines and I will follow them. I'm just a newbie amateur spriter who barely knows the game itself as it is.

You'd have to read some threads.

Let's hope that Fox will come here and explain it.

Right in summary the idea I had was a race that functions mainly on symbiotic relationships with other races in the form of small but noticeable buffs such as very minor healing or even enabling nobreath for a short duration.

The summary of their discovery consists of a story about a group of scouts who crashed on an unknown planet. They get nurtured back to health whike their ship is being fixed. As soon as they leave they find out that the planets atmosphere was toxic to them all this time and that the creatures were the ones enabling them to survive.

Their biology I imagined

resembles a severely thin human with a snake like midsection.

Biokinetic abilities.

A passive biokinetic barrier that keeps this race from healing eachother. This because they used their biokinetic powers in tribal wars which resulted in the use of these barriers which eventually became a passive genetic trait.

Right in summary the idea I had was a race that functions mainly on symbiotic relationships with other races in the form of small but noticeable buffs such as very minor healing or even enabling nobreath for a short duration.

The summary of their discovery consists of a story about a group of scouts who crashed on an unknown planet. They get nurtured back to health whike their ship is being fixed. As soon as they leave they find out that the planets atmosphere was toxic to them all this time and that the creatures were the ones enabling them to survive.

Their biology I imagined

resembles a severely thin human with a snake like midsection.

Biokinetic abilities.

A passive biokinetic barrier that keeps this race from healing eachother. This because they used their biokinetic powers in tribal wars which resulted in the use of these barriers which eventually became a passive genetic trait.

Sounds interesting, not quite like the one I suggested since they are essentially a hostile race turned subservient and just used for their unique ability to control vortessence (like healing, hive mind and electric bolts) And even harvested as living batteries.

But I like that idea too, If you want I could try doing a sprite but I might need a little more detailed explanation. What do you mean snake like mid section? Instead of a torso they are just super thin? Or is it actually snakelike like scaled and such?

Spending karma to start the round with access to advantageous powers at very little disadvantage?

I can't say I agree with this one

Never said that, spending karma to buy a race just like any other karma race except instead of starting the round with an advantage you are a race which can't wear hardsuits, gasmasks or use human weapons because you don't have enough weapons. To counter that you get some abilities that make you useful but not so useful that everyone would want to be one.

To me that sounds balanced and if anything more of a slight disadvantage.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use