Rule Breakers Get Broken? Verification?

Sheakhan

Hey boss-folk,

I've noticed now a ton of folks posting ban-appeals that clearly state that they haven't read the rules (often as a defense). I would imagine this doesn't account for the numbskulls who don't even bother appealing. Is it possible, to alleviate the headache of dealing with those sorts, and the inevitible mob of idiots who think rules are for losers, to enforce stricter punishments for not reading the rules (as it constitutes a massive degree of server/admin/player disrespect) and maybe even a method of verification?

I'd suggest the following, perhaps it'd make everyone's life easier:

-Immediate permanent ban of anyone who has not/refuses to read the rules. Its a matter of respect, responsibility and decency. Obviously you wouldn't know who is guilty without them admitting as such, but it might help.

-Password requirement for initial server access from an IP, the password being located in the rules naturally.

The first of these suggestions would weed out those who are already slipping through the cracks, the latter would reduce the influx of these sort of players.

-Password requirement for initial server access from an IP, the password being located in the rules naturally.

We already got that, shhh.

Though in seriousness, I think we could stand to ask people who break the rules to give us the phrase more often and then deal with them from there.

And even then, most of the time, the players that do break the rules, they do know them, they just don't care.

I know, but the gentle pee-pee slap just serves to admit someone who couldn't even be assed to read the rules as required back into the fold to fuck up again, leaving you folks with another mess to clean up and us players dealing with another shithead.

• 3 weeks later...

So, I think that if people were to be perma-banned upon not reading the rules, it would also be reasonable to add something where they confirm that they have read the rules, and if they haven't are subject to immediate perma-ban. Proof would be, them not admin helping something showing they have read the rules within say, a minute, or if they are obviously violating a rule, whether they know and understand the rules or not. People who understand the rules but don't follow them I would even give them less of a chance, because they have no reason at all to be breaking them, and is a serious attitude problem if they break rules because they want to.

I think if people on the server are fine with new people never joining this works. By new people I mean new people to the entire concept of SS13. I don't think it works if you wish to keep having brand new players to join on top of the learning curve with even understanding the implications of all the rules at the start, much less the game interface and how it works.

That's just my 2 cents though.

I am not sure who would ever read rules today, when all rules in games are kind the same: no hack, no greef, no acc abuses ,etc.But if you think about, how many games today have special rules? Not very much. The more rules you have in game the more game feels fragile, incomplite and abusive, and you don't give very nice picture of the game. I was reading rules one time when i was so bored and wanted to show guy how wrong he is. That was one time

I am not sure who would ever read rules today, when all rules in games are kind the same: no hack, no greef, no acc abuses ,etc.But if you think about, how many games today have special rules? Not very much. The more rules you have in game the more game feels fragile, incomplite and abusive, and you don't give very nice picture of the game. I was reading rules one time when i was so bored and wanted to show guy how wrong he is. That was one time

Games with a community have rules because communities have rules, and different communities have different rules, simple as that. Just because I can drink at 18 in my country doesn't mean I can go and start drinking in countries where drinking is not even allowed. Rules aren't there to be "boring", rules are there to teach you what not to do and how to avoid trouble. The more rules a game has, the stronger the community becomes. It makes idiots that like to ruin everything stay away and those who really want to try stay.

Of course we can't expect everyone to read all the rules before trying a new server, which (after a few threads in the unban requests) obviously didn't work out for some people and they had to read them anyway.

I don't think a harsh punishment for not reading the rules is the solution honestly. It's been working fine so far, they get banned, they read the rules. If they get into trouble again, they get banned again and can't use the "didn't read rules" excuse. Some people might not even understand the rules in some parts. Or people that play in many different servers, might sometimes forget you can't do Y in paradise.

Games with a community have rules because communities have rules, and different communities have different rules, simple as that. Just because I can drink at 18 in my country doesn't mean I can go and start drinking in countries where drinking is not even allowed. Rules aren't there to be "boring", rules are there to teach you what not to do and how to avoid trouble. The more rules a game has, the stronger the community becomes. It makes idiots that like to ruin everything stay away and those who really want to try stay.

Of course we can't expect everyone to read all the rules before trying a new server, which (after a few threads in the unban requests) obviously didn't work out for some people and they had to read them anyway.

I don't think a harsh punishment for not reading the rules is the solution honestly. It's been working fine so far, they get banned, they read the rules. If they get into trouble again, they get banned again and can't use the "didn't read rules" excuse. Some people might not even understand the rules in some parts. Or people that play in many different servers, might sometimes forget you can't do Y in paradise.

The reason for I suggest punishments for not reading the rules isn't because I expect that everyone who does is a model citizen, or that the rules are all encompassing or provide a filter for the malcontents. I suggest it partly because it will alleviate the occurance of "Oh, I didn't realize that was against the rules" offenses, saving players and moderators/admins time and energy dealing with easily avoidable issues. I also suggest punishment for not reading the rules because I believe, as a player, you have an obligation to understand the rules and guidelines that the server staff, who are supplying YOU with a place to enjoy the game on their own backs, took the time and energy to concoct. Not reading the rules, in my opinion, shows a lack of respect for the game, the concept of rules at large, the staff, and the effort invested. It's rude, it takes a couple minutes to read the rules, and the amount of timed saved when you're not being an ass and breaking them ignorantly is immeasurable.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use