Potential New Round Fuckery

Garoon

So there's a term that I've heard floating about in regards to spirits and legends, and it got me curious. This term is the Wendigo. It's basically a legend specific to the Algonquin tribes of North America. Basically, the Wendigo is a malevolent spirit creature that is created from a human cannibalising another human. So that got me thinking, there's the definite option of committing cannibalism with no actual consequences in SS13, apart from potentially being shunned IC by other people, so why not give the gruesome act a particularly gruesome outcome.

The in-game Wendigo would basically have a very, very, VERY rare chance of coming about, possibly 1-2% chance, when one of the crew eats a steak made out of another crew, but only if said crew steak was made out of human and is being eaten by a human, or if the steak is made out of an Unathi and it's being eaten by an Unathi. If, and only if, the rare chance occurs, the wendigo spirit of the consumer would only come out if the consumer is killed, without it being a suicide. Of course, the consumer has no idea if they would become a wendigo since there would be no definitive confirmation that they met the chance. But, once the wendigo is created, maybe there should be something similar to that old undead surge event or whatever it was, where all the crew would feel dirty, or have a chill up their spine.

Once this wendigo is created, it would be very weak to start. Similar to the vampires to a point, they would have to consume their original species' flesh to gain power, leaving skeletons in their wake. As they consume more people, they grow in power, although I'm not sure what kind of abilities a cannibalistic spirit who is always hungry would have. I imagine that one of the major things they have going for them is a far better capacity in melee combat. Maybe the ability to go transparent, similar to the vampire's cloak of darkness, since it is a spirit creature after all. A downside to this power is that the wendigo is very sensitive to light, maybe possibly to the point of being blinded by it, similar to the Shadowlings, but not to the point of being killed by it. In addition, it would be quite vulnurable to the chaplain, and most anything involving the holy, since it's a malevolent spirit, kinda like the big, angry brother of the Revenant, now that I think about it...

Any ideas to help hash this creepy thing out would be very nice, although I'm not sure about how the heads would feel about adding yet another supernatural beast to a game that is generally supposed to be about surviving against the mundane.

EDIT: I just heard that Goonstation has a Wendigo already, I didn't know at all, and they dont seem to have a single thing about them on their wiki, it seems. So this is still an independent thingy

I like the idea. Light doesn't really work as a harming thing however, not really close to lore.

However something to note, in most lore relating to Wendigo that I have read, they spread disease. And not just any disease.

They spread /All/ the diseases. They gain strength from rot and decay. Not the flesh of the dead. Perhaps they could gain strength from any rotting corpse on the station, making the incinerator more valuable. Strength from those infested with diseases. They don't need to kill things, they need to make them Rot. Living or dead.

Perhaps the rotted could be raised by the Wendigo's later stages. A way to keep players in the game and not make it just a murdererryone antag like the Revenant is. Hell, could be used as a way to make Zombiemode functional. The zeds would need some modifying to balance better, but would work well lorewise.

What? the chef job is to cook, fry and bake human meat into lovely dishes... and also pun pun meat but that's a story, for another day.

now seriously. Cannibalism on SS13 is a [spoiler2]sick[/spoiler2] tradition that even if you realize it or not you already ate human meat inside an unsuspicious burger or meatball. Hell, I remember rounds when I was CMO and gave the chef 3-5 corpses for gibbing every 15 minutes just to make space in the morgue.

The nice thing about having an alien foxthing as a character is that they give no fucks about eating humans. I prefer to rp them as a pure carnivore. Only eating not meat when absolutely necessary. (Excluding when I get the Eat genetics power obviously.) Although much less interested in eating other foxthings, it is still meat in the end.

I say we add kuru on the topic of digital cannibalism, where when you eat a brain, you contract said disease.

Also, HELL YEAH zombie in space.

Chance of spess prion infection?

To be fair though, prion diseases take years to take effect.

Yeh, goon has it, though, just thought it would be a neat idea.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use