high security atmos pipes/vents

johannhawk

also this: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5325

well, Bulma breifs was ventcrawling into places [spoiler2](altough that was partially adminbus...or genetics)[/spoiler2] and during that i got a idea.

high security vents w/ lasers.

slimes,diona,monkies,genetics,etc wont be able to pass through them...cuz lasers.

as for mice and other harmless critters, they are small enough to fit through the gaps of the lasers.

as for xenos, they can pass through but get scorched in the process.

-

the high security vents will draw their energy from the same category as the doors draw on from the APC [spoiler2]i think its equipment or enviroment[/spoiler2]. so if engineering is lazy and no power gets made, the ventcrawlers can get into the bridge or escape sec...while other people can just crowbar into the same places without taking all of their items off.

when this gets added (probably not) we can SAFELY re-add slime ventcrawling

I think you're on to something. Though we slime players want nothing more to be up to our no good shenanigans via vents, I think this vent idea is rather decent. Would be a win-win imo. But I doubt it'd be easy to do.

• 1 month later...

The idea of adding high security vents might be a good alternative to just welding the vent shut, but since all races are pretty much balanced in strength and weaknesses right now, i don't think slimes will get the ventcrawl back.

It simply can be abused to much. People could just enter via vents and exit via disposals, or just send the items via disposals. At which point you would have to have secure vents almost everywhere in order to deal with the Slimepeople and xenos would be totally screwed.

And before we start adding secure vents at round start, where xenos can't pass or only pass while getting damaged, we would have rework the entire pipe situation on the station. There are so many cases where you have to exit a vent and enter a scrubber in order to somehow reach your destinaton. Additonally you sometimes randomly switch from a dirstri pipe to a waste pipe and it's really easy to overshoot while traveling through pipe systems (lag and walls blocking sight) and you exit the vents simply by accident.

edit: as for xenos, they can pass through but get somewhat scorched in the process, then use the rest verb or plant some weeds or both to easily shrug it off and heal it, then slash up the APC so the vent that harmed them doesnt have any power to do so again.

The idea of adding high security vents might be a good alternative to just welding the vent shut, but since all races are pretty much balanced in strength and weaknesses right now, i don't think slimes will get the ventcrawl back.

i think high secure pipes w/ lasers would be more accurate, after exploring the vent system a bunch of times as a mouse,

most departments have about 1-4 pairs of red/blue pipes, most of which run under easily hackable doors and that means BOTH the red and blue pipe go under the door, and if there are 3-4 pairs, due to the nature of atmospherics, one of them is likely to end up short and only touching one room of the department.

commonly broken into areas like the tech storage or arrivals sec checkpoints have one pair.

single rooms will easily be secured since each room usually has a scrubber and a vent, so we can obviously just have command areas, that vault, the chemistry lab, etc. be secure if somebody enters the department itself and tries to ventcrawl from there.

the brig...just slap 2 sec pipes per cell plus permabrig and solitary and nothing can get out, unless some virus attack happens.

as for the bridge, just need about 4-8 pipes with security.

It simply can be abused to much. People could just enter via vents and exit via disposals, or just send the items via disposals. At which point you would have to have secure vents almost everywhere in order to deal with the Slimepeople and xenos would be totally screwed.

its not quite almost everywhere but honestly, here are some likely scenarios you need luck to avoid.

-if you somehow enter the chemistry with two people in it, you will be forcibly disposaled, if you are lucky.

-enter the kitchen and you will probably get knifed,

-sneak to the bar backroom and you will probably be shot,

-somehow sneak into science and then get mobbed by A. a bunch of people with shields and blunt weapons B. a guy with a sedative syringe gun C. a powergamey RD with legit guns

-somehow crawl into the IAA/NT rep/Magistrate office and you will be complained at and sec gets to chase you without feeling bad about it if said pissed off people decide to write paperwork about you.

-somehow get into the sec locker room and risk being harmbatonned, (i have like four other ways to enter it anyways so i dont have to take off stuff due to ventcrawl)

-crawl into botany and maybe get either chopped up or nettled.

and to top it off, would sec trust a naked slime person in a restricted area or the guy that actually works there,

and ventcrawling can be nullified if you stick enough implants into the slime person so the implants get in the way.

and if nobody is working in the not so important places (bar backroom/kitchen/botany/IAA office), then who cares?

--

oh...incase the vents dont have power to keep the lasers up and all the loot gets thrown down disposals along with the theif...

you can already do that, just mail yourself to a place where you want to loot and loot it, except if you have ventcrawl you can do it on your own, but you dont get to bring anything with you to said location.

-if you somehow enter the chemistry with two people in it, you will be forcibly disposaled, if you are lucky.

-somehow sneak into science and then get mobbed by A. a bunch of people with shields and blunt weapons B. a guy with a sedative syringe gun C. a powergamey RD with legit guns

-somehow crawl into the IAA/NT rep/Magistrate office and you will be complained at and sec gets to chase you without feeling bad about it if said pissed off people decide to write paperwork about you.

-somehow get into the sec locker room and risk being harmbatonned, (i have like four other ways to enter it anyways so i dont have to take off stuff due to ventcrawl)

With this logic we could just replace all those airlocks with doors that everyone could just simply open, because we supposedly have armed guards everywhere ready to chop you up.

and to top it off, would sec trust a naked slime person in a restricted area or the guy that actually works there,

and ventcrawling can be nullified if you stick enough implants into the slime person so the implants get in the way.

Getting solid proof in ss13 is allways a bitch.

you can already do that, just mail yourself to a place where you want to loot and loot it, except if you have ventcrawl you can do it on your own, but you dont get to bring anything with you to said location.

Pretty sure that you would need two people for this, i might be wrong though.

With this logic we could just replace all those airlocks with doors that everyone could just simply open, because we supposedly have armed guards everywhere ready to chop you up.

No, the people that try to ''chop you up'' are just people that hate greytide and keep on tools just to kick them out easily and i did mention something about luck before putting the list down, and being a naked slime person kinda makes it hard to tell if you are a greytider or not, but being a naked thief is kinda worse.

Pretty sure that you would need two people for this, i might be wrong though.

you need two people, and cargonia always works together in some way.

• 4 months later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use