New race theory crafting.

Wisp

Reading the thread on the vulpakin complaining about how the races are just seeming to be humanoid reskins I've spent about 15 minutes brewing up some ideas for a new race addition. Best idea I think I had in my mini brainstorming session is a race that has their lower body replaced by a device that allow them to float and as a result ignore gravity changes and be treated as having magboots enabled at all times. Trade offs might include having a reduced movement speed due to stabilisation devices, toxins being more effective due to lack of a functioning liver and emps outright cutting them in twain. Early days but i thought might as well put my ideas here before going to sleep.

You could name many different alien races. It's not exactly an uncommon trope. The prophets from the Halo series also come to mind but I think they were still able to use there legs but preferred their nifty hover throne things.

The problem is they are incomplete ideas, so not quite worthy of its own thread just yet.

Some kind of race using echolocation could be interesting, however, not sure how that would work, mayby they have an ability that allows them to ping the area, giving them temporary ability to see well in darkness, perhaps when they arent using the power, they have poor sight. Im thinking batlike or demonic for the races appearance.

a race with a good sense of smell might be able to determine who was present in a room recently

Ah, well, the problem with non-humanoid races is spriting clothing and all of that stuff, I would love to see some like...serpent race or centaur race, but that is unlikely given spriting limitations. a demon looking race would be a bit easier

Centaur had crossed my mind but I thought four legs was silly.

However another random idea was having a race that could regrow lost appengies outside of decapitation. Might include willing shedding injured limbs in an emergency to regrow at a later time.

Honestly, more races is just a bad idea. Take each of the races we have already, and think about the ways they actually differ.

In combat, a few have claws instead of punches.

Some don't deal with damage well.

Some have a slightly slower speed.

It's just really small things like that. We're reaching a point where instead of races are different and interesting because of unique features, they just look different. I'm not opposed to purely aesthetic changes, but it's easy to just keep making those and flood them with races that have uninteresting lore, mechanics, and what have you.

I think if you want to consider more races right now, it would be best to look at something that is largely different but still fits into an acceptable balance. Diona are tough for their slowness, Kidan are vulnerable to flashes for their armor, etc.

Is missing lower torsos replaced by a anti-gravity device not a different enough idea?

A true fusion of flesh and technology pushing the boundaries of species throughout the universe. Or something.

Edited by Guest

Is missing lower torsos replaced by a anti-gravity device not a different enough idea?

A true fusion of flesh and technology pushing the boundaries of species throughout the universe. Or something.

Sure, you can make it *sound* good in theory and all that. But in actual practice? It's a cripple with the speed and stability of magboots. It's essentially a diona without its lower half. It's not all that different from something that already exists. This isn't a problem, but like I said, it can lead to a lot of pure fluff races that don't really have any mechanical difference from one another. Lore should be written up for each one, chances are they each need a unique language, you have to code them in and add exceptions, you have to make sure clothes work properly and have a unique design for every single variation, and so on. There is a lot to do to add a race, especially something that isn't formed to the plain human mold.

I understand that and this isn't something to be expected in a few weeks time. I just think having a discussion about new races and having a good consensus on what we're looking for would be a good start.

For instance you dislike the slow speed idea of basically being a cripple diona. What would you recommend in your opinion to make it seem a more viable choice? This is something thought up in 15 minutes and there is definitely room for improvement.

For instance you dislike the slow speed idea of basically being a cripple diona. What would you recommend in your opinion to make it seem a more viable choice? This is something thought up in 15 minutes and there is definitely room for improvement.

I didn't meant to imply I dislike it, I was saying that it's just not all that different from something we already have. A lot of the races thought up are usually done with one little tweak in mind that may seem big, but really isn't. Mechanically, other than the missing limbs and super unique features, how would your supposed species differ from a Diona? I personally think that if you can't reach something like three major differences, it's already far too similar.

This sounds unique, but functionally, it would just be a few minor buffs, like immunity to slips and gravity. It don't think it would actually changed gameplay a whole lot.

Some kind of race using echolocation could be interesting, however, not sure how that would work, mayby they have an ability that allows them to ping the area, giving them temporary ability to see well in darkness, perhaps when they arent using the power, they have poor sight. Im thinking batlike or demonic for the races appearance.

I really like this idea. They could be blind, but have an echolocation ability with a cooldown that allows them to "see" objects within hearing distance.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use