Vulpkanin racial changes idea thread.

monkeysfist101

Vulpkanin are a polarizing subject for our community. Many players are asking for a difference in mechanics for this new race. Post your ideas here and I'll add them to this post.

Pros:

Speed boost when not under the effect of a speed debuff-original concept, improvedname

Higher sense of smell. Can recognize certain chemicals/certain people-NTSAM, Citinited

Ability to sense intent upon inspecting a player-Earthdivide

"Lick Wounds" ability-monkeysfist101

Can hear whispers from 2-3x farther away-davidchan

They can jump on/in objects table disposal faster-improvedname

Lowlight vision-improvedname

Double nutirition from food-Citinited

Cons:

1.25Xstandard speed debuff effect-monkeysfist101

Colorblindness-monkeysfist101, Citinited, Streaky Haddock

Higher sense of smell. Is more adversely affected by smell -NTSAM

It takes less disabler shots to take you down-improvedname

Flashbangs, explosions or other deafening noises (including Changeling shriek) affect them from 2-3x farther away and you're deaf just a long-davidchan

Easier to knock down (Didgitgrade legs and whatnot)-improvedname

Easier to get eye damage-improvedname

Need more oxygen to survive-Citinited

No dual weild-Citinited

Edited by Guest

My problem with the Vulpakin is that I feel that they fill a roll already filled, they are too much like tajaran in concept, now, if we had other races to balance out the large amount of "furryish" races, then I probably wouldnt have a problem.

COPIED STRAIGHT FROM MY OWN POST ON THE SUGGESTIONS THREAD:

BUFF: They have a sensitive sense of smell, and when they examine beakers/cups/bottles/etc., they can get italicized text underneath the description giving them a 'smell' description. They should not just tell them what it is, but can give them a rough idea. Example: The smell is terrible and stings your nostrils. could be sulphuric acid.

DEBUFF: This sensitive smell can suck. You take in more of a gas as you breathe (which can be good in some cases, but terrible in others.) and rotting bodies make you vomit easier than most.

Or how about

BUFF:You run faster than any other species

DEBUFF:It takes less disabler shots to take you down

Movement bonuses are always a bitch to balance, not to mention they originally were planned to have such a buff but it got shot down for bein too strong.

Throwing mine in here.

Buff: When examining a person, the Vulpakin gets a small blurb based on the current intent a person has on. I feel this falls perfectly in line with dogs, since MANY species have the capacity to tell the emotional state of a person, while also being unique enough to seperate them from Tarjan, while not powerful in the slightest to remove them from the Free race pool, not to mention it still is very useful from a gameplay standpoint.

To clarify Earth a tiny bit...

Speed changes (mostly buffs) affect nearly every single aspect of gameplay and balance. It would probably be shorter to name the things it DOESN'T affect.

PRO: The ability to lick their wounds. Canine saliva acts as a natural disinfectant, so therefore, it might be possible to add a spell that lets a vulpkanin lick his/her wounds. All this would do is drop the current infection level over time. It would be weaker than actual medicine, but for small stuff, it could save a trip to the medbay.

Why is nobody doing hearing? Dogs are pretty legendary for their ears.

Pros: You can hear whispers from 2-3x farther away.

Cons: Flashbangs, explosions or other deafening noises (including Changeling shriek) affect you from 2-3x farther away and you're deaf just a long.

To be honest, vulpkanin are so similar to Tajarans physiologically that the only reason I can think of for this getting committed is Fox McCloud wanting an actual bushy tail. I'm not saying that's necessarily bad thing, but I feel they should have the same upsides and downsides that Tajaran receive. This is probably upsetting for those who wanted ssome unique mechanics to play with. If they must be differentiated, then the ability to determine what a chemical is and what someone's carrying would be the only one I'd particularly agree with.

Because let's be honest, the people who play vulpkanin are going to no matter it's mechanics.

Edit: Also if Vulpkanin is a karma race (I didn't actually check) I will be quite upset.

So if we gonna base it off a dog we could have the following things

-The faster running/ or just making walk run speed

-what monkey mentioned

-what earth mentioned

-what Nts mentioned

I really do like to have NTS and earth idea

Or optional

Pros

- let them being able to jump on/in objects table disposal((just a faster table climbing)

Cons

-If anyone walks past you or push you away you fall on the ground

EDIT:

Pros:night vision

Cons: gets eye damage by bright flashes((flashes flashbangs etc))

Well, I'd say that dogs and snakes are as different as night and day. I think that code-wise it's easier to have them as seperate species because of any languages/tails/hairdos/muzzle shape there needs to be. I have no really strong feelings on this subject but quite honestly, I feel that the abilities Tajarans have (claws, night vision, heats up quicker) also make a lot of sense for Vulpkanins, because implementing a canine's actual real life abilities in a way that is fair and balanced within gameplay is very difficult.

I also feel that the appeal for vulpkanins wouldn't particularly be their mechanics anyway, I feel that the people who are drawn to Tajaran and Vulpkanin will play Tajaran and Vulpkanin just so they can be a cat/foxman. They aren't a karma race (i've checked) so I feel that just having them share the Tajaran's mechanics would be a simple and fair solution.

That said, I'm not saying Vulpkanin having unique mechanics would be a BAD thing, but I don't think it's really an important thing since they were introduced to Paradise solely on the fluff/aesthetic reasons as opposed to their interesting gameplay implications.

Rather have them different

Like tajarans night vision etc

And let the vulp see which intent you using simple as that idea was great and also the smell one and the hearing

Ideas for mechanics:

Pros:

• Ability to smell stuff (no idea how this would work, maybe they can tell if someone's disguised as another person?)

• Food gives them double nutrition

They can use *sit, *roll, and *bark for silly little shenanigans

Cons:

• Partial blindness

• Collapse when in an oxygen-poor environment (we can bullshit this via lore)

Unable to dual-wield stuff (due to having paws for hands)

Ideas for mechanics:

Pros:

• Food gives them double nutrition

Pleaaaase. I hate being like the other 90% of the station that starves mid round.... When I am a Vulpkanin of course.

PRO: The ability to lick their wounds. Canine saliva acts as a natural disinfectant, so therefore, it might be possible to add a spell that lets a vulpkanin lick his/her wounds. All this would do is drop the current infection level over time. It would be weaker than actual medicine, but for small stuff, it could save a trip to the medbay.

well, considering you can make spaceacillin for free if you have some time and a multitool, this isnt terribly OP in any way.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use