Replace Xenoarch. with Xenohunter (After Mining Overhaul)

SureWhyNot

The Mining Overhaul will introduce encounters with real live Xenos in their native habitat, so I think it's time for Xenoarchaeologists to put away their excavation tools and pick up a dart gun! The basic idea would be to kill Xenos and skin them for their meat and other useful materials. Xenohunters would rely on miners to (quickly) tunnel through the asteroid, and the miners would appreciate their superior firepower, thus a symbiotic relationship would be formed between the two jobs. (In theory).

My ideas for the job are listed below. And yes, I understand that these would be far from trivial additions.

• The standard Xenohunter gun would fire poison darts/bullets that are only effective on Xenos

• Xeno parts (teeth, claws, eyes, armor, etc) can be used to create/upgrade armor and weapons

Xeno parts can also be processed by other jobs to obtain materials (e.g. extracting Cryoxadone from Basilisk "cryoglands")

Alien meat can be used by the chef to create interesting meals

Xenohunters would be part of the supply team

Certain supply crates would now need to be unlocked by sending specific monster parts (bounties) back to Centcomm

The Xenohunter supply room would be added to the Mining Outpost

A number of additional Xeno types would be added to the ones ported over from TG

Speaking of TG, difficulty may have to be tweaked to account for players working together

The main goal would be to increase player interaction and RP opportunities on the asteroid after the Mining Overhaul.

I don't get why you wouldn't have that as part of the miners job. Have the dartgun an unlock at the vendor and allow the miners to harvest the mobs if they wish.

I don't get why you wouldn't have that as part of the miners job. Have the dartgun an unlock at the vendor and allow the miners to harvest the mobs if they wish.

It's to encourage player interaction while replacing Xenoarch (which I honestly don't think would be worth the effort to incorporate in the new asteroid). You see, TG miners are incentivized to work alone so that they don't have to worry about sharing the ore. Xenohunters would work alongside miners without dipping into the same loot pool. (Miners wouldn't be able to obtain monster parts without Xenohunter tools).

Yes, miners could very well operate solo with a straight port of the TG system, but I think that's something we'd want to discourage on Paradise.

How about we keep Xenoarcheology, since you know, it's actually very easy to do but no one seems to actually notice.

Speaking of Xenohunter, I don't hate anything about it so it would be a great addition, but straight removing Xenoarch is kinda sad, since it's that only job in science that can bring some life to the station, even tough it could use some fixes, but the finds are nice, and frankly, I doubt integrating it with the new system is really hard (unless it's some really, really awfull piece of code that no one wants to touch and would rather be rid of it than try to keep it).

How about we keep Xenoarcheology, since you know, it's actually very easy to do but no one seems to actually notice.

Speaking of Xenohunter, I don't hate anything about it so it would be a great addition, but straight removing Xenoarch is kinda sad, since it's that only job in science that can bring some life to the station, even tough it could use some fixes, but the finds are nice, and frankly, I doubt integrating it with the new system is really hard (unless it's some really, really awfull piece of code thatno one wants to touch and would rather be rid of it than try to keep it).

Xenoarch as it stands now is a solo-heavy experience that rarely benefits the station as a whole. In fact, the only interactions I've seen have all been negative, with artifacts causing harm or getting people killed. Even if the artifact is allegedly helpful, people have both an IC and OOC distrust of it.

So I think Xenoarch needs an overhaul as much as mining, but is it worthwhile to save a job that will be seperate from mining at best and impeding to it at worst?

FYI, xenoarch was coded by a braindead (and as far as I know) the code was and still is completely awful.

An overhaul of xenoarch would have to completely rewrite it.

While I do agree that Xenoarchaeology needs changes, I don't think making it do the Miner's job for them is the change needed.

I don't see how that was your take-away from my suggestion. Xenohunters wouldn't be going after ores. My idea was that, If they were given a pickaxe, it would be so slow that teaming up with a miner would be the obvious method of getting around the asteroid. As for them killing Xenos instead of the miners, yeah, that would likely happen. But, again, they need to stick with the miner to get through the asteroid. In the interest of encouraging player interaction, I think it would be a fair trade-off.

But if that's not good enough, we could go a step further. We could introduce Xenos that require a combination of Xenohunter and Miner weapons/equipment to kill. For example, an armored Xeno that needs to have its armor dislodged by a Miner's kinetic accelerator before the Xenohunter's darts can be effective.

I think this idea has a lot of potential, it could even tie in with xenobiology somehow. I don't, however, think xenoarch needs to be removed in order for this to be added.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use