Add Autopsy Scan Functionality to Body Scanners

Surrealistik

Body scanners now have an autopsy scanner functionality; because it is invasive it can only be used on non-living subjects (unless emagged, in which case I guess it would cause bleeding and a unit of scalpel brute damage to pretty much every body part of the subject). After a short/no scan time, it will provide a comprehensive full body autopsy, including trace chemicals, injuries, cause of death, time of death, etc...

Quality of life change; because a comprehensive incision + handheld autopsy scan on all body segments takes too damn long and

If this goes through, would compound the change by expanding out the morgue like has been talked about before.

Knock in the wall to the Exam room and move the desk work part of the Coroner job in there. Medical laptop, Autopsy Report filing cabinet and body scanner.

Medical Laptop to be used for noting which crewmen are dead-dead (Cannot be cloned/borged) and usually printing out a copy of their med records to attach to Autopsy report. (Helps Sec/Detective, since it has their DNA and Fingerprint hash)

Would add room for additional morgue trays as well I would think.

Might be something I try to do who knows.

this should be conected to the upgrateds you can do to a bodyscanner. so better Scanning Module would lead to more details

Scanning Module; would only see the weapons beeng used in general, shortly befor death

Advanced Scanning Module; could see where the body was hit with what and and wich time (so the standart now for the autopsyscanner but on the entire body at once)

Phasic Scanning Module; could see chemicals

A magical box that tells you how any inserted body died with no effort on your behalf at all? No thanks.

Autopsies should at least involve a modicum of effort so that you actually have to do some work to figure out how the body died. That being said, the autopsy process could do with some tedium removal (maybe the scanner could scan all cut-opened areas at once?)

A magical box that tells you how any inserted body died with no effort on your behalf at all? No thanks.

Autopsies should at least involve a modicum of effort so that you actually have to do some work to figure out how the body died. That being said, the autopsy process could do with some tedium removal (maybe the scanner could scan all cut-opened areas at once?)

You mean the same magical box that instantly tells you what injuries someone is suffering from in exacting detail, as well as the presence and concentration of several chemicals? Just sayin'. No reason it can do that, but can't also give you a full autopsy with equal rapidity.

Can you imagine if we turned this on its head, removed the body scanner, and replaced it with an autopsy equivalent in order to get a full diagnosis? There would be riots among Medbay players.

The bottom line is that the autopsy process is long, boring, and adds nothing to the game. If it was going to be abridged, the obvious fix is to reduce the time incisions take and allow the autopsy scan to scan all segments simultaneously.

You mean the same magical box that instantly tells you what injuries someone is suffering from in exacting detail, as well as the presence and concentration of several chemicals? Just sayin'. No reason it can do that, but can't also give you a full autopsy with equal rapidity.

Can you imagine if we turned this on its head, removed the body scanner, and replaced it with an autopsy equivalent in order to get a full diagnosis? There would be riots among Medbay players.

The bottom line is that the autopsy process is long, boring, and adds nothing to the game. If it was going to be abridged, the obvious fix is to reduce the time incisions take and allow the autopsy scan to scan all segments simultaneously.

Yes, the same machine. However, the machine is built to detect how much damage there is in a specific location. That does not mean that it can calculate an assailant's weapon, how many hits they hit the location, how severe that damage is, etc.. The autopsy scanner, on the other hand, is built for one purpose - to detect the sort of stuff I just mentioned.

Bear in mind that if the advanced health scanner took any length of time to use, it might actually mean that someone dies due to the time taken to analyse someone. On the other hand, an autopsy doesn't have this problem - they are already dead. The advanced scanner does already scan dead bodies, though, which may help reduce the time taken to perform an autopsy.

If we want to roll with your argument of making things automated, though - how about we implement a machine that automatically injects the relevant medicine when someone is placed in it? What if it performed surgery automatically? How about if it moved around the station, placing injured crew in it to automatically heal them to full health and fixed all their internal damage and broken bones? Would this be a feature that you would want implemented?

I disagree with your assertion that autopsies provide nothing to the game. Autopsies provide the detective with a different way of collecting data, even if it is tedious. (Believe it or not, I sometimes *enjoy* doing an autopsy, so long as I'm not swamped with other detective stuff, which is fairly often but hey ho). They are also flavourful for the detective (and who doesn't love flavourful things?), and can come in useful at times.

I agree that abridging the process would be better than having an automatic scanner. I, however, disagree with making the process automated, for points mentioned above.

Why shouldn't it be able to determine all that data, particularly when it is already loaded with specialized medical sensors and takes up a full tile while a handheld scanner is perfectly capable of doing it, and only requires a scalpel incision as a precursor? From a verisimilitude perspective there is not really a good reason why it shouldn't be able to do them.

From a gameplay perspective, yes, speed is essential for diagnostic equipment and not autopsies, but at the same time autopsies are pure tedium, so even on this level autopsies in their current form aren't really justifiable (more expansion on this below).

Further, virtually every kind of surgery and medical treatment barring those tending to fractures can be circumvented with the cryotube/medbots and the right chemical mix, so yes, automation to that extent actually already exists for these things.

That said there is a notable difference between performing surgery which is satisfying and has a substantive and clear impact (in that you're directly helping someone) versus autopsies which are pure tedium, lack satisfaction and have uncertain benefits.

To start with, stop using realsim/lore/whatever the hell to debate gameplay. It doesn't work.

Now, having the autopsy automated would be rather unbalanced. Get a dead guy? Chuck em in, start the hunt right away.

To start with, stop using realsim/lore/whatever the hell to debate gameplay. It doesn't work.

Agree; verisimilitude is not the concern here, it's gameplay.

Now, having the autopsy automated would be rather unbalanced. Get a dead guy? Chuck em in, start the hunt right away.

No, it just doesn't work like that unless you have at least a pretty good idea of who used the murder weapon/mechanism (generically only true if poisons or department specific weapons are involved outside of other evidence, and good luck if it's something generic).

I like this idea. Right now autopsies are almost never done because the process is too annoying and time consuming for too little reward. Scanner based autopsies would actually be quick and easy enough to perform to produce useful information for security and the crew.

I do not like the idea. I find autopsies to be a rewarding endeavor, provided that you're a coroner.

Advanced body scanners should be used for suplementary data about internal injuries and implants.

I do not like the idea. I find autopsies to be a rewarding endeavor, provided that you're a coroner.

Advanced body scanners should be used for suplementary data about internal injuries and implants.

Summed up well and my feelings to a T.

Conversely I've always found that I have better things to do than a rote, slow and tedious process which yields an uncertain benefit at best, especially on a server as fast paced as Paradise.

I've played dozens of rounds in security roles and do you know how many of those rounds I've seen beneficial information coming from an autopsy? Maybe less than five.

And this is because autopsy is so tedious that almost no doctor bothers to perform it even when asked by security. I've asked doctors to autopsy suspicious bodies only to have them either clone them or just stuff them in the morgue and forget about them. As it stands currently autopsies rarely provide any benefit to most rounds.

to topic: we merging the ideas. R&D can make a upgraded autopsy scanner that does not require the Scalpel.

should be around bio level 4 and Data level 3. maybe a bit more.

to the sid topic: i starting to asking myself, what does a successful autopsy reveal, any examples?

Autopsy reveals cause of death. It shows what weapons were used to injure someone, and when those injuries occurred. It also shows time of death.

This can be very useful to reveal what job the murderer held and what weapon you are looking for.

I might support this.. if autopsy worked consistently at all. It doesn't, due to multiple problems, and it will never be fixed without massive amounts of snowflaking the autopsy code would require, a call in every possible method of dying.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use