Body Language

Jack Fractal

So, had a thought today. Might be terrible, thought I'd throw it out there.

One of the reasons that stun powers are so amazing in SS13 is that usually you can't tell when someone is going to try to gank you. There's no way of telling. In real life, people telegraph intent through body language. A person approaching you to shake your hand walks differently then someone coming to bash your head in with a rock.

We have the concept of intent in SS13. What if we had some kind of visual indicator, a tiny icon or something, when someone wasn't on help intent?

It would mean that people would only switch to harm/disarm when they were actually fighting, but that's probably a good thing. This would let you sort out who is actually fighting and who isn't in a crowd.

Wouldn't work perfectly out of the box, a lot of weapons will do damage when on help intent, but it might help.

Perhaps not a visual indicator, but it might be a good idea to show their intent when they're examined.

This seems like better way of doing it without making it really easy that defend yourself before the attacker gets a chance to attack.

Perhaps not a visual indicator, but it might be a good idea to show their intent when they're examined.

This seems like better way of doing it without making it really easy that defend yourself before the attacker gets a chance to attack.

That is kind of the idea. Blitzing a single person would still be possible though of course (byond has low priority for icon propagation).

The main thing that I want this for is crowds. If I walk into the bar and there are twelve people there, a situation that happens paradise sometimes, and something is happening, it would be nice to be able to quickly understand that those three guys over there are fighting, and that guy is choking that other guy to death, but the three people by the kitchen are just spectating, without having to read the chatspam for attack messages and match names to mouse-overs.

"He has a malicious look in his eyes." -- Disarm

"He looks like he wants to grab ya." -- Grab

"He looks normal." -- Help

"He looks like he wants to gank ya." -- Harm

Help - He looks like he wants to play

Disarm - He looks to be cautious, his tail is between his legs.

Grab - He is bristled up, and his head is low.

Harm - His teeth are bared and growling.

"He has a malicious look in his eyes." -- Disarm

"He looks like he wants to grab ya." -- Grab

"He looks normal." -- Help

"He looks like he wants to gank ya." -- Harm

something like this would be cool if you could customize the message. I know with my IPC, if given the chance (which is almost never unless there is some excellent roleplay occurring on the other person's behalf), I will try to throw out some quick emotes about things like external lights changing color or such when I switch intents.

I actually was thinking about this earlier and came to the conclusion that it would be neat to figure out a way to create some sort of macro to send those messages and switch intent at the same time automatically, but I figured that was me just being weird.

Glad to hear other people had similar ideas about communicating intent.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use