[Job Idea] Ghostbuster/ Paranormal Investigator

Wisewill

Basically this job would take up the abandoned office. It would be a job where you, as the Paranormal Investigator must be familiar with anomalies and spectral/ occult apparitions. To aid you in this you would have the following devices...

Proton Pack: This backpacksque charging unit contains spectral apparitions within a small cube like receptacle that can be removed/ inserted into the proton pack: The proton pack keeps the containment unit charged, disbarring the spectral anomaly from exiting it once trapped.

Neutrino Emitter- A weapon that emits a concentrated burst of aphasic neutrinos, stunning spectral apparitions momentarily.

EM spectrum analyzer - An analysis device that samples surrounding electromagnetic fields. Areas of high electrical activity can throw off readings. Tiny anomalies in the base EM value may indicate that a spectral anomaly is near.

Containment unit- A device that emits a powerful, but small, electromagnetic field within an area. Spectral apparitions become visible and are pulled towards the center of the EM field. If held in the exact center the spectral anomaly is sucked within the containment unit. The containment unit fails if its charge depletes, allowing the spirit to leave the containment unit.

Background EM beacon- A placeable beacon that once wrenched into place samples EM fields of a surrounding area and transmits this data back to the Paranormal Alert Console within your office.

Paranormal Alert Console- A console within your office that tracks EM beacon location and data alerting if a anomaly is detected.

Boson Particle Field Generator- A generator that emits a field of highly polarized particles that prevent ghosts from passing through it.

Electrostatic Equalizer- A device that equalizes innate background EM fields and removes hauntings. Does not function if the Poltergeist is within the Haunted zone but slows them down.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How Ghosts fit into this

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ghosts can only be effected by the Paranormal Investigator and their equipment if they become Poltergeists. In order to become a Poltergeist a ghost must use their Boo! spell on an area three times to obtain the ability to haunt that zone. When the ghost haunts a zone it will be able to pull objects and flip tables.They can also spawn clouds of harmless, but annoying, ectoplasm. These abilities only work in their haunted zone. Areas of High Electrical or EM activity cannot be haunted. A Ghost can only have one haunted zone active at a time.

I'll sprite this stuff if people show interest/like the idea. I haven't the slightest idea how to code this however. Containment units with spirits inside them could be used to make robots.

Edited by Guest

When the ghost haunts a zone it will be able to pull objects, flip tables, and throw objects similar to telekinesis.

no

I can already see how messy this will be.

If the game was centered around this thing alone then sure. But it is not, so ghosts being able to interact with other alive people other than "boo!" is gamebreaking, metagaming inducing and will just be a pain for players and admins

Getting rid of Telekinesis prevents the ghosts from harming anyone physically. Meaning they would only be able to produce Ectoplasm, pull objects and flip tables. I don't see much metagaming in those powers or how it breaks the game.

back when we let ghosts lip tables for Halloween, we didn't think so either. But then players got smart, flipping objects at people when they went to pick them up, flipping objects off the tables AT them just to hurt them, isn't actually that bad. But there were some areas, i'm not mentioning them because it'll be more fun for you guys to find them, where the ghosts ruined good chase scenes or stand offs. One of my antag rounds was ruined because i was behind a table at at location and a ghost flipped it, letting the blueshiled get to me. We already tried letting players use it for fun and they began to abuse it, hence why it was removed past Halloween

EDIT: thats not to say its a bad idea, i love it. But like Regens said, it would need to be a more centered point of attention then just a job for it to work.

The Paranormal Investigator then is the check off to balance it out from being abused too much but I see your point. Maybe other benefits can be given to Poltergeists over ghosts because lets face it. No one will want to be a Poltergeist if it doesn't have some intrinsic benefit over normal ghosts.

EDIT: As for features and systems within games...To quote my Systems Design Professor: "If there is a way to overcome a system or abuse a feature it will be abused. This is not to say that the feature or system is bad. A method to limit abuse is to make the gaps or features within a system harder to exploit, not remove them entirely."

Edited by Guest

Here are some potentially agreeable, non-gamebreaking ideas for poltergeist abilities then:

-Make noises (give them a list of words or emotes like positronic brains have, "OoOOooooO" or "rattle rattle rattle" nothing that could be used to convey a message.

-Let them point at things.

-Let them rotate chairs, and interact with non-obstructive items like papers, folders, pens, stamps, flicker lights like the AI (but not blow them), and maybe turn doorlights on/off.

-Let them scrawl graffiti and runes (no letters though) within their haunting area.

-Let them visibly manifest for seconds at a time, for creep factor.

-Blood stains, lots of blood stains.

-Let them earn points for fucking with shit.

-Let them spend a ridiculous amount of points to do crazy things like:

-possess a living person (just allowing them to follow them around and make noises only they can hear, not actually control or affect them.).

-relocate their haunted area to a nearby room/hallway.

-Drain their points slowly if they leave their haunted area so they can fuck with people down the hall, at a cost.

-LET THEM POSSESS BRAINDEAD CORPSES SO ZOMBIES RAWR!

I like the Game-mode Idea. It works and if we did it that route Ghosts could have powers to effect the round, fun powers! Would be an interesting dynamic however. A bunch of strangers come to the station to save it from things terrorizing the crew as more people die the situation would become even worse. I could see this even being mixed with a traitor or ling to expedite people dying.

Or we could have the aetheric-enities event enable poltergeists. That would make it wise to call a Ghostbusters/Paranormal Investigators squad just like ERT.

I like the Game-mode Idea. It works and if we did it that route Ghosts could have powers to effect the round, fun powers! Would be an interesting dynamic however. A bunch of strangers come to the station to save it from things terrorizing the crew as more people die the situation would become even worse. I could see this even being mixed with a traitor or ling to expedite people dying.

Or we could have the aetheric-enities event enable poltergeists. That would make it wise to call a Ghostbusters/Paranormal Investigators squad just like ERT.

Who ya gonna call?

Ghost busters!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use