Asteroid-buggy

Midaychi

Roundstart, one or two mining buggies. I've heard mining tugs existed at some point, but I wouldn't know.

Here's what I think of when I think of mining buggies:

1. A device that a miner can hop into, so they are able to transport themselves faster. Bonus if the device seats three (including the driver), but only one can pilot.

2. The buggy moves faster than a miner on foot, but can only travel on asteroid tiles. The built in safeties will refuse to drive on anything but asteroid tile or exposed un-tiled surfaces or pipes or such. Much like the snowmobile if the restriction actually functioned. Driving off into space would leave it helpless until it landed next to or onto a valid surface.

As an emergency measure, you can turn the vehicle off and disengage the mechanisms to be able to drag it anywhere, but the device would not be drive-able until the mechanisms were re-engaged.

3. A hand mining drill can be mounted on front. Either normal or sonic jackhammer or diamond. This allows the driver to drive into asteroid walls and mine them. It uses the drill's speed and stats, and only mines one tile. The buggy will refuse to drill if a mob is in the way, due to safeties.

4. The buggy can drag up to three objects at once behind it. Much like the cargo train but not requiring a tug (it however, can only be specific mining equipment). If one of these is an ore box, then the ore mined from the drill transfers to the ore box. The buggy can drag un-manned ripleys (but not manned), and also drag the standing drills behind it, for easy transport to work sites.

5. The buggy has headlights, for easier seeing. There are two different lights that can be turned on; the omni-directional floodlight (which works like a normal light emitted), and a directional front light, emitted in-front of the buggy.

6. The buggy can be left in the sun to slowly charge from solar power, but is much easily charged from a mech bay port. The charging in sun must be at least enough to allow the device to keep its headlights on and idle without running out of charge. This way the buggy can be used as a directed light source at work places when not being driven.

7. A research version exists for research equipment.

8. Emagging the buggy disables the safeties, allowing it to traverse any solid surface and drill any mob it runs into, with obvious traitorous benefits involved with such.

While I do like the idea of a buggy or rover for traversing the asteroid quickly, this sounds like a cheaper yet superior version to APLU Ripleys. The buggy would certainly be faster, and dragging the orebox around to autodeposit would probably yield more ore per hour than a ripley would be capable of, not to mention that Ripleys must return to mech ports to charge, this sounds like you could easily pop out the power cell and replace it with a fresh one before harassing RnD/Robotics for upgraded cells (Yes, I'm aware that Mechs have their own internal power cells, but getting to them requires robotics access last I checked, and was a 9 step process to remove. Swipe,Wrench,Crowbar,Screwdriver,Fresh Cell,Screwdriver,Crowbar,Wrench,ID/End maint protocols to hide bolts.

• 2 weeks later...

It is not.

Are you sure? If the buggy created a light source a few tiles in front of it, it would function as, essentially, a headlight.

3. A hand mining drill can be mounted on front. Either normal or sonic jackhammer or diamond. This allows the driver to drive into asteroid walls and mine them. It uses the drill's speed and stats, and only mines one tile. The buggy will refuse to drill if a mob is in the way, due to safeties.

4. The buggy can drag up to three objects at once behind it. Much like the cargo train but not requiring a tug (it however, can only be specific mining equipment). If one of these is an ore box, then the ore mined from the drill transfers to the ore box.

I wouldn't want the buggy to have a drill, or at least, have it not able to fill ore boxes; it'd essentially become a Ripley replacement at that point.

I do like the idea of dragging Ripley's and such

Yeah, but it functions in the same way as other lights. If you put a light source in front of it it would still be omnidirectional, which would make it the same as the normal light on the buggy. It is simply not possible.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the idea of such a buggy. I like the concept of it being able to cart ore. I don't like the concept of it drilling though. No need to undermine the Ripley's position, no pun intended. I mostly just think that the down-time in mining should be cut down. A bunch of walking isn't very fun and doesn't make much sense in this setting, with so much high tech. It would also encourage miners to coordinate more, so they could take the buggy at the same time.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use