Mime language

Moonman327

Pretty much a language the mime can speak and others can learn, it should only involve gestures and not be able to speak over radio. I don't know what the color of the text would be, but it would be nice if it was in italics, as a opposite to the clowns awful amazing language.

So sign language? Been suggested before, wouldn't mind having it.

Yea, but could it have a random gesture for each time they talk for people who couldn't speak mime, like "Mimington waves back and forth at Urist" and for people who speak it, it would look like Mimington gestures, "Hello friend. Do you speak mime?"

No. Don't take me wrong, I love playing mime, but just no.

Not to mention that sign language should bypass the spell check of the mime and that it should still be visible during moments a person is deaf.

Another point is how the language code will support an emote language.

Currently, if you don't have a language they appear as something else, E.G: Trinary

This is because the language code randomly picks a set list of phrases randomly, and we'd need a whole dictionary and grammar system or another emote code (mime emote has its own /me thing, which turns it into words, seems too much work for little payoff). While it might seem you can do this:

Mime Mimington slices a knife in the air near Cindy Cate.

Mime Mimington articulates "You're fucking dead, kiddo."

I'd assume it will turn like this:

Mime Mimington pokes makes circles knife, waves himself Cindy Cate.

Mime Mimington articulates "I like kittens."

1. A good mime doesn't need words. The worst case scenario involving explaining something that is extremely complex and conceptual just requires you to use your pda or scribble on a paper.

2 . There is only one Mime slot. This means there will rarely if ever be two mimes that are actually mute on the station, so unless this is going to be a secondary language everyone can use (which defeats much of the point), it's useless.

3. Reiteration of the above post. It is an unnecessarily large amount of work to make such a painfully niche and most likely ignored feature.

As useful as having sign langauge would be as a second language, i would still take it away from the mime. The mime would mistakenly assume that sign language is a part of his job.

I agree with Crom, mime's are supposed to be something of a challenge to emote gestures to convey your message. Sign language would be talking and thus break the spirit. It'd be more sensible for mimes to have telepathy (or hivemind) but since there is to be one mime anyways, it's pointless.

On the top of sign language though, I would approve of it for the rest of the crew to have. Aurora has sign language, and it can be incredibly useful. To those without, it simply reads as an emote "Urist signs with his hands" and it can be used while deaf and even in space, making it super useful for engineers to have while working on the solars or fixing a breach.

That said, it'd have to be coded to require two functioning hands to work, injured or one armed signers should have random words cut from their message.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use