Streaky has played too much Prison Architect

Streaky Haddock

So I've tried my hand at mapping.

11h9eys.png

It's not a full map, it's more of a sketch I did in dream maker. This is supposed to be more of an overhaul of security because A) I dislike how you put people in Prison and forget about them forever and B) I wanted to move the evidence room closer and C) I want to add a demotion room.

I've moved the Prison into the center of the brig so anybody passing by will interact with Prisoners more. The Prison will be pretty much just heavily reinforced and electrified glass walls almost all around. The Prison is already extremely hard to escape from because it's behind several layers of doors and all windows lead to space. This swaps the threat of space for constant observation. Grey Tide events will also make it easier for Prisoners to escape since they'll be closer to the door.

The Warden will have overwatch of the entire lobby area and be able to let people in or out. We already have this room in our map, but instead of a glass booth the Warden gets to look over it.

I've added a visitation room to allow Prisoners to speak with their defence without causing a security risk but also simultaneously providing collaborators with a way to break their comrade out of jail. Prison Blocks A, B and C will remain chiefly unchanged with the exception that Prison Block C won't be the 'shit block' where inmates are essentially isolated. All three blocks will be along the Fore Corridor area (with the possibility of C bordering maint).

There are also two interrogation rooms (interrogation observation to follow). I've toyed with the idea of making a 'hard' interrogation room for prisoners and a 'soft' interrogation room for witnesses and victims.

HoS office will remain mostly unchanged however it will directly overlook the entirety of the locker room to allow him to watch officers at spawn get dressed (the fucking creep) as well as see when people enter and leave the brig.

There's stuff I haven't added in. Evidence Room, Detective's Office, Shuttle Hangar etc but this is only supposed to be a sketch. Scale and walls will be changed, and the entire place won't be added to space. Any items you see were added in by me to help me keep track of what areas are supposed to be.

Important to note, I have no mapping experience whatsoever so I'm going to do shitty, strange and weird things and then maybe get bored and move on.

At any rate, I'd like to see what people think about the layout before i start adding on any flesh to the bones of my blueprint.

The current setup of the Wardens office, armoury, locker room and meeting room is pretty much perfect, (the podbay hallway needs work though) but the left side of security really needs some changes.

Visitation just seems somewhat useless, although something on a smaller scale could possibly work.

One idea had for the cells is to simply turn them all into one huge cell to throw everyone in. Bit like what bay has but with less permabrig type defenses.

Generally agree that parts of security need work (mostly interrogation+prison flow, but that really can't be fixed, to be honest), but I feel that map design is a big step in the wrong direction; permabrig is already bad enough, as is; that pretty much ensure prisoner will have absolutely zero chances of escape, ever.

Bay's old security and TG's current security are both pretty good in terms of overall flow and design---I don't think a "centralized" security design (with permabrig being the 'wheel' as seen here or Bay's current sec) is a good or desirable thing.

Agree. Putting a permabrig in a center of everything not really a good idea. It shouldn't be on everyone's sight. I like when it is hidden somewhere in the brig. But I am fully support how Prison Cells situated. It is a good idea. I am not sure about waiting room though. No one will ever be here.

Permabrig should absolutely be more visible imho, it's where the most dangerous prisoners are stashed, and your chance of escape is much higher in my experience when guards have to come in to sort things out. It doesnt make much sense that the guards spend their whole time watching people who took gloves and threw pies. Perhaps instead of being the hub of a wheel, it could be semi circular with one wall to space or maintenance, just to still allow the possibility of daring escapes that aren't riots.

I like your idea overall, with a few tweaks it could be very good indeed. If you went the route of largeish holding cells for the minor crimes you could add a minor sec prison guard job, no good equipment, just there to watch the crims and serve the warden. Would contribute to some good Oz style RP in the brig.

no, i'm working on the code we have now, i'm going to try and make it as useful as possible without requiring any additional code addons or anything like that.

The idea of having Prison in the center is out, since noone likes it but I am determined to make the Prison more integrated... somehow. I am toying with the idea of doing away with the Prison entirely, and having some sort of vague undefined system which requires Prisoners be visited and moved around more regularly.

Having spoken on IRC as well, input from more experienced mappers suggest stripping the brig down to its core essentials. Getting rid of the evidence room, prisoner transfer, etc entirely since they're not used. Perhaps the Detective will be in charge of managing all the evidence.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use