Hostile NPCs breaking bones

SpaceTimeNow

Hostile NPC mobs like spiders, animate objects, floating blobs break bones left an right while doing relatively minor damage. It feels like every 2 or 3 hits they break another bone. Not only is it totally screwing you over when you drop your weapon but you also get massive amounts of pain from this.

I often find myself with somewhat minor damage but have two broken bones and i am able to move slowly for a few seconds and then drop to the ground, from what you never recover. Once you are down you can't stand up anymore, even if the medical supplies are only a few tiles away, you won't be able to move. Shouldn't the pain drop when you are on the floor and bring you to a level where you could drag yourself some further until you drop again. It's a completly unrewarding feature, you keep lying hopeing you will get up, but you won't. Two broken bones seem to take you out for good. One would think someone would be able to ignore a broken rib and a broken hand if your life depends on it.

Kinda a double-edged sword, sadly.

Organ durability was increased by 17% so this should be happening a bit less,but the fact of the matter is--how Baymed's bone breaking system leads to situations like this...and, quite frankly, there's no easy solution.

-Nerf mobs damage: then they'll pretty much tickle and be of no point/purpose/challenge to fight--even then, they're still going to break bones in extended fights

-Reduce pain damage from having broken bones: basically reduce/elminate the pain from having a broken or having a limb missing...downside is less realism and it also pretty much means that the only downside to broken bones is the "you feel bones moving in your !" which makes you take extra brute damage.

-Disable broken bones completely: This is actually super easy to do as it's a configuration option in server setup. It would require the least amount of work, but ...I'll be honest, despite the fact I hate how wounds on Baymed are handled, this is just...I don't know. I think it's better overall, for game balance, but I don't personally feel super comfortable with this option; it also effectively means surgery will be relegated to limb replacement, organ failure, xeno removal, and brain transplants. If the community really wants this, it can easily be done, but it does effectively relegate surgeon to a minor role. The good news about this solution though is that we can disable bone breaking without removing dismemberment. It also means weapon+explosion damage will be far more consistent.

I will say this though, Baymed is rapdily approaching the point where balance with combat will be nigh impossible (this is already a problem with broken hands) due to having so many organs+tissue layers--I know they plan on implementing dislocation and long-term scarring soon.

-Disable broken bones completely: ...

Please no. It's one of baymeds most fun features. Removing it will just turn it into a quasi-TG "slap a bruise pack on it". If anything, just bump up the threshold needed to break bones.

Why not a damage threshold?

Damage below x amount can't break bones or bones can't break until that limb has suffered y overall damage. Or even both.

Example:

1. An oxygen tank that does 10 damage per hit, striking an arm. The break-threshold is 15 damage per hit, so this oxygen tank could never break the arm. A 15 damage weapon would break the arm in (example) 1d4 hits.

2. The bone in the arm will not break until the arm itself has received at least 30+ damage.

3. The bone in the arm will not break until it the arm has received 30+ damage, and the weapon being used either has a [can break bones] flag or deals damage beyond the break threshold.

I don't know what the code looks like, but there are likely good solutions that retain broken bones while making them happen less often from low-damage blunt weapons.

For me it would be totally ok if beeing on the floor, or maybe resting or sleeping / passing out would reduce the pain once you wake up so you have some more time to move or handle items. And i think in the past it was way more common to fall on the floor pass out and get back up some time after, but somehow this feature seems to have broken, you just don't get up anymore.

Maybe it's just not in line with increasing the damage that's needed to go in paincrit, so you can take more damage before paincirt but your resistance to pain hasn't been buffed accordingly.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use