Bring back the old bridge

Svej

I'm not sure who thought it was a good idea to throw every console into bridge for no reason. Looks to me that most of the consoles were just added to fill empty holes, why does bridge need mining shuttle control? Cargo supply console? Teleporter control?

The old look of bridge was much better imo.

Opposed. The bridge of any type of structure is always a area, where you are able to take control of the majority of the systems on board without having to run to every part of the station. For me a bridge is the switchbox, where all the wires lead and can be turned on and off.

The old bridge sure was a bridge, but it didn't have this sort of command-type feeling. Basicly IMHO the old bridge was just a collection of offices held together by the little bridge area.

Now the bridge feels like a proper bridge where you are able to interact with the majority of the systems. As a Captain you're now longer stuck with staring at a few glasses and a shuttle computer which can barely be used for anything. You can keep yourself up to date, monitor systems and actually make sure the station is running. The bridge is now a proper bridge.

I very much like it.

Well, it should at least be reshuffled to look a bit better. Right now it's just a line of consoles, which doesn't exactly look good.

Yeah, it looks pretty bad right now.

Agreed, it may look a bit bad, and that teleporter console may be useless, but I don't think that the OLD design should be brought back.

Perhaps, move the new Gravity Generator down and use the "space" space to give more room for the bridge.

Here's a draft design for the bridge that I put together awhile ago for an entirely different map. It wouldn't fit in the present station, but it's something that could be worked off of.

The AI was intended to have blast doors only it could control, to close it off from the bridge if it wanted privacy.

I also have a cool sprite for a holotable that never got used anywhere.

8Zu53rk.png

-1 *giggles*

The new layout is both ugly and inefficient. Also makes it harder to put my desk anywhere.

I find it hard to see how this is inefficient. From what I can see you now have more ability to control the station, thus it being more efficient as a bridge.

Here's what I pictured. Get it pictured? *chuckles*

d0witzS.png

Kinda solves the problem of a random console-fest.

I like your idea, makes the Bridge look cosy.

I just don't like these two new windows (conference room, captain's office).

Also the holopad is hard to access (what if TComms are down?), the table with paper/paper closet are obsolete and take up precious space and some tiles could be adjusted (blue stripes).

Revert it back to the old bridge design and go off there. All the consoles look terrible and useless.

I also feel that the move of the AI to the sat really needs some discussion, it feels like it would be FAR too easy for antags to destroy or sabotage the AI. Low risk, extremely high reward. Transit tubes are also terrible.

AvjsWWF.png

I am not very keen on the new layout as well, What I am enjoying is station based command posts with consoles that are correlated.

Fruerlund , in my opinion, has the best console setup. It divides the bridge into sectors (think like star trek ship decks) where a person who is in charge of that can monitor portions of the ship that are in need based on an area. Looking for a criminal as the hos? go to the security station, check cameras, set people to arrest. Looking to fix atmos as a ce from the bridge? go t the engineering station! It is a well thought out system that could be edited to fix current problems.

still +1 for wanting to fix all nine million consoles in a line.

I also feel that the move of the AI to the sat really needs some discussion, it feels like it would be FAR too easy for antags to destroy or sabotage the AI. Low risk, extremely high reward. Transit tubes are also terrible.

Easy for antags, hard for angry mobs during malf AI rounds.

This please. Transit tubes make me cry.

Problems with this: d0witzS.png

Bridge takes up a huge amount of room.

Computers block bullets and lasers, firefights in the bridge are some of the best possible, this would destroy them.

Still has the utterly useless consoles. I really have no idea why more consoles then what the original had are needed for. For the medical/sec records, you either have access to them with your HUD glasses, can just head over to your department or don't need to access them. Would someone please explain why the heads would ever need access to the shuttles?

Hard to access things like air alarms and APCs quickly.

Moving around is pretty awkward (lots of people+chicane=horribleness)

Most of these also apply for the current bridge.

Fj45, I see it as a temporal fix for our current bridge. If they want to keep this terrible layout (console fest) - let them, but I want the newly proposed version to replace the current one, since it's a slightly better design.

Computers block bullets and lasers, firefights in the bridge are some of the best possible, this would destroy them.

Honestly, I prefer having it that way. In every sci-fi movie that I've seen that involved a firefight in the bridge, the one console that the heroes needed ends up with a brand new hole in it.

Honestly, I prefer having it that way. In every sci-fi movie that I've seen that involved a firefight in the bridge, the one console that the heroes needed ends up with a brand new hole in it.

That would already happen, the bridge computer would almost always get damaged in fire fights. But currently, its impossible for any side to shoot eachother.

Heh, currently I am seeing that the AI core is indeed one of the least safe places on the station. It keeps getting blown up during nukies and even gets meta'd in xeno rounds.

Not fun dying 10-20 minutes into the round.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use