Baxter's Guide to Atmospherics

TullyBBurnalot

As requested by the one and only David Buck, here's my own Atmospherics setup for him to tear apart from a higher experienced ground.

Foreword: This system is a modified version of the one Ryder Holderman (I believe his name was) taught me when I first started atmos. It is, contrary to what you might believe, not that micromanagement intensive, so long as you leave the valves in the right setting. Also, I apologize for the poor imaging quality (ie, massive black spaces because I suck at graphic design).

Anyway, let's begin, shall we?

Stage One: The Buffer

1_zpsdbc19a71.png

This is the easy part. Essentially, the point is to use the Gas Mix Control area to hold excess waste gas in case of either major overpressure, fire, or toxins leak. Seeing as you can't actually flood the station with harmful gas in most circumstances, you might as well just use that for something.

By turning the yellow valve and activating the volume pump towards the Gas Mix, you're forcing the waste air to dump straight into the latter. When it's all done, you activate the pump coming OUT of the Gas Mix and let portions of the waste be processed by turning the yellow valve on and off, so as to not clog the system.

Another note: You should ALWAYS make the distro loop separate from everything else, or an enterprising Malf might actually flood the station with plasma.

ONWARDS!

Stage Two: The Main Loop

2_zps5fb026d4.png

IMPORTANT NOTE: This is THE default loop this setup uses. 99% of the time, even with the fully finished product, you'll only be using this particular pipeline.

Now, to explain. This setup is quite simple, as it is a Two Part System:

The first part involves taking all the waste air and pumping it into the space loop, cooling it down;

The second part involves taking that air, sending it into the freezers to assure it's properly cooled, then just venting it to the Filter Loop. Most of the time, this takes about half a second, but it WILL take longer in case of a fire. That's what Stage One is for (see above).

Red Arrows indicate Waste Air Flow.

Yellow Arrows indicate Cooled Waste Air Flow.

Stage 3: Direct Jury Rigging

3_zps15954c10.png

IMPORTANT NOTE: You can literally stop at Stage 2. The system works as such, and still leaves you room for modifications. EVERYTHING from this point onward is not strictly necessary.

Anyway, this is quite simple. Installing a valve in that position allows you to bypass the cooling bit entirely and just vent all the waste directly into filtering. For obvious reasons, don't leave this alone for a long time, you don't know when something's gonna happen. Like plasma fires.

Stage 4: Looping to Loop

4_zpsa1032a7d.png

Sometimes, a single run through the cooling system isn't enough. Maybe it's as hot as the surface of the sun. Maybe you want to super cool nitrogen for the Supermatter (see below in Stage 6). For that purpose, you install the pumps and the yellow circled valve, as indicated. As you'll see in the finished product, switching the valve so the green indicator goes down means everything currently being cooled will remain in the cooling loop until you switch the valve again.

Stage 5: Manual Mixing

5_zps463c59f6.png

I'm gonna paraphrase David Buck and say this: having a good mix system and a waste disposal system is just not practical. And, well, only one of those actually helps anyone but you directly.

Take a guess.

For that end, just remove the entirety of the original mixing loop and hook up connectors to the Nitrogen and various toxins Control areas. Then, drag canisters on top and get ready to open and close valves.

Stage 6: Cool as Ice (minus an extra 200)

7_zps90714a6c.png

YET ANOTHER IMPORTANT NOTE: If you do not have people working on the Supermatter, skip this bit and ignore it in the Final Product, as you will NOT need it.

Basically, this is for when someone's manning the Supermatter Reactor and they need super cooled plasma for the Collectors and super cooled Nitrogen/Carbon Dioxide as coolant for the system itself.

Here are the steps:

1) Make sure both the indicated valves have the indicators DOWN. This means all the gas you pump into the cooling loop REMAINS in the cooling loop.

2) Put the canister full of gas in the top connector, open the valve, and pump it into the loop;

3) Let the gas cool. Having meters helps a lot, but you can also check via the freezers;

4) Once the gas is cool enough, turn the top-most yellow circled valve so it faces the bottom connector;

5) Put an empty canister in the bottom connector, open the pump, and pump all the cooled gas into the canister;

6) Rinse and repeat for whatever gas you want to cool

Experience has told me that 3 full canisters of room temperature gas (around 4500Kpa) can fill up a single canister if you cool it down enough (usually 100 Kelvin or below).

Final Product

6_zps6b9cebc3.png

Fairly self explanatory by now. Does not include the super cooling system.

Red: Waste Air

Yellow: Waste to Filter optional

Purple: Cooling Loop

As always, I'm open to critique/suggestions from anyone. No pointing out that one time I may or may not have given the Blueshield a canister of plasma.

Alright, let me see.

First off, a very nice setup. Far better then the first one I saw. Great guide as well.

The waste to filter line seems a little redundant and a liability. Only real use is as a bypass for when you are cooling gas.

The lines for making cans of non-airmix need a volume pump, that would force far more gas into any canisters.

Not that currently, space loops are USELESS (-15*c is the best you can get with those) and may even be increasing the temperature of the gas that has gone through the coolers.

Tear it out of you loop, it will be far less complex and allow you to make slightly chilly canisters. (I don't know what else you would need them for apart from not-really-deadly-but-also-not-really-effective firefighting mix)

You could isolate a single coolers from the bank and just have that to cool gas, it would stop any contamination problems, keep the setup simpler and allow you to cool gas while a plasma fire is raging.

For the buffer area, you may want to keep the out volume pump running and the lower digital valve on, that way its only ever two clicks the empty and fill the tank.

Otherwise, very nice setup and a wonderful guide. (although this may be a little complex for newbies)

Thanks for the feedback. Please note, however, that this is the EXACT same system you complained about. I just tore out the bits that weren't being used, making it far easier to understand.

The Waste to Filter bypass is indeed for when I'm cooling gas, and I never use it if there's actual waste that needs filtering.

The space loop I've recently noticed is useless, but I'm keeping it on the off chance the code actually changes so it works.

As for the rest, I'll incorporate it into the design. Thanks!

Having some fire fighting mix on hand is always a good idea, easy enough to get a high pressure can of freezing gas by tapping into the N2 line and sending it past the coolers.

N2 is best for cooling rooms, CO2 is best for stopping fires.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use