Weapons and hearing damage

Wintermote

Firing weapons without hearing protection should cause small amounts of hearing damage.

Yes, including lasers and affecting anyone within 1 tile of the person shooting. More if it's a big gun.

If you do a lot of shooting without any hearing protection, you should go deaf.

Even better if we can have machinery in engineering that's so loud it makes talking impossible and causes gradual hearing damage.

I aggree it would realistically make sense, but i don't see how this would transition well into SS13.

Using hearing protection would mean that you couldn't hear anyone around you talking. So you have the choice between beeing deaf while the big fire fight (hearing protection) or after it. I think this would impact RP way to much. The only benefit i would see is that if a random derp steals a weapon he would have problems when using it. But i don't think that's worth it.

Sorry, no--this aint happening. Yes it might be "more realistic", but absolute realism isn't something we're aiming for, nor is it very fun. This would also essentially render nuke ops permanently deaf due to their complete reliance on ballistic weapons.

Better yet, why in the world would lasers cause hearing damage anyway?

Lasers would cause eye-damage, which would largely be a non-issue for the usual folks who wield them.

Come on, now, we gotta give revolutionaries SOMETHING to fight security with.

• 2 weeks later...

Deafness implementation could be so subtle that it required very prolonged point blank exposure to weapons fire to do anything major. You could even implement just a very short 5 second debuff that garbles speech you hear after a gun goes off next to you.

Well, there's hearing damage in-game, but nothing actually makes loud noises that'll make you go deaf, except explosions. And for explosions to do that, you need to sit in more than one.

The funny thing is, we have earmuffs today that not only have radios built into them, but also microphones that allow them to hear speech in spite of loud noises through electronic noise canceling. I even own a pair.

Adding ear damage to lethal firearms when you're standing within a tile of the person shooting does not seem like a big issue to me.

In any case, it'd be nice if pumps and other machinery would generate ear-damaging noise. We have ear damage that's never utilized when it could be great for engineering and atmos and give people an actual reason to wear earmuffs.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use