Increase photo/paper naming character limit

Streaky Haddock

As a faithful beaureacrat I would like to petition nanotrasen to increase the photo/paper renaming limit. Morgue Trays and Bodybags seem to have a decent character limit (i.e I can name a morgue tray "Attention: Big Fat Nerd is sleeping inside, do not disturb" or a body bag: "tons of bodies, clone at centcomm, DO NOT OPEN YOU CUNTS")

Yet it's painful to have to name papers things like: "Excutn Wrrt: H. Dnkler" or "Atpsy Rpt: H Btrsn" or "BUPs shpn lst"

Why would I need to rename Autopsy Reports you ask? Well, sometimes Autopsy reports come out as: "Autopsy Report: Unknown" or "Autopsy Report: Unknown (as Makkota Atani)"

I looked that up in the code, the character limit for almost all names is determent by the constant "MAX_NAME_LEN" (26 character). papers, folders, chaplain religion, floorbots, everything...

Bodybags for some reason use "MAX_MESSAGE_LEN" (1024 character) for the character limit.

Change everything paperwork related to 1024 characters then! As much as I think it's hilarious to see: Medibot (THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST) injects Dr. Strange with the syringe! it'd get tiresome after a while.

A hand labeler only adds to the existing name and is also subject to the 26 character limitation.

1024 character limit would just be to much for everything. Also just flat out allowing like 50 characters for all names will most likely lead to odd behaviour when displaying names in all the different device on the station, like Crew monitor, PDA messenger, ...

But considering that the Autopsy device already creates papers with names like "Autopsy Report: Unknown (as Makkota Atani)", which are definitely more than 26 characters, i don't see why a player shouldn't also be able to do that, at least for Paperwork.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use