Adding some utility to gas masks

SpaceTimeNow

I think every gas mask should have a passive benefits even when internals are off. Like 20 second protection against breathing bio toxin, after 20 seconds the bio toxin damages the filter and the filter needs to be changed or internals need to be on. Stuff like that.

I was thinking about the filter only beeing damaged when it actually has to filter harmful gases. It would be to much of a balance chance if the filter would protect continous 30 minutes against plasma.

But it could also be made that normal usage of the gas mask slowly destroyes the filter too. Actually that could help to not make everyone run around with a gas mask, because it would be tedious to run to engineering like every 30 minutes to get a new gas mask/fliter.

Something like:

- a filter has 40 durability

- every minute wearing it removes 1 durability.

- 1 Second of the filter filtering plasma reduces durability by 1

- other gases could have smaller values like 0,5 or 0,3 per second...

If the durability of the filter is 0 then the gas mask looses the passive protection and you start breathing plasma (when internals off). Using gas mask with internals would not damage the filter and even if the filter is "borken" the internals still work.

What do you guys think?

• 2 weeks later...

Yes. I support the buffing of gas masks, but I would suggest to balance this they could simultaneously be restricted to spawning in specific areas like magboots are. They seem very prolific at the moment, with them popping up in every vent and fire closet across the station.

Yes. I support the buffing of gas masks, but I would suggest to balance this they could simultaneously be restricted to spawning in specific areas like magboots are. They seem very prolific at the moment, with them popping up in every vent and fire closet across the station.

Having them in fire closets are necessary, you need them when putting fires out, along with the rest of the suit.

I would agree that they could be in a few less areas, however.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use