goaled extended

Kluys

So we all know extended is there to give a more relaxed shift on occasion, that allows people to roleplay things that would otherwice be interrupted.

This gamemode is however also considered to be one of the more boring gamemodes currently in the rotation, especially if they draw out too long.

the idea:

start the game off like a normal extended round and about 10-15 minutes in when most of the crew has done their setup, send the crew a cc message. this message should contain a goal of sorts that the crew can work towards as a team. These goals should not however be combat based or based entirely around a single department.

a small list of goals:

Delivery: a list of items gets delivered too the station. These should range from mining materials all the way up too things the players will really need too work for like an item from a z level beyond the asteroid and station. Or items that are very research heavy.

Exotic pet care: A dangerous creature that has a chance to attack players if provoked is brought onto the station. This creature is the pet of one of the board members at centcomm and should receive propper care (needs to consume food and stay in a non hostike enviorment, dies otherwice)

Station expansion/derelict repair: this would be more ficussed on engineering but mining and science could be very helpfull. The objective being to restore power too the derelict and make it slightly habitable or to just expand the station

This list could be made longer but you get the point. Basically if a non combat event is done by the admins with success it could probably be addded here.

This gamemode is however also considered to be one of the more boring gamemodes currently in the rotation, especially if they draw out too long.

it helps to interact with other players than just go afk and watch paint dry waiting for something to happen

I think adding some goals never hurts. But what should be prevented is that people would get forced into achieving the goal and cannot use one of the few RP heavy gamemodes to actually RP. It should be optional for crewmembers to join in to earn more money or some other IC reason.

It would be interesting to have a game mode where each department has to contribute to a project. Maybe one where another station needs emergency supplies sent over and each department has to contribute items created by their department and have them sent to cargo who has to ship them to the imaginary station that required them. I'm pretty sure most departments could make things to send and the required items and their quantities could be randomized.

I think that perhaps having individual player objectives could probably help with this too. Currently Science is the only one with their research objective but it would be pretty awesome if every job had a number of different objectives assigned at the start of the round that the player could try and finish if they wanted to. But the way the currency/pay system is on here makes doing those things feel a little pointless since there is no real benefit other than giving players a sense of accomplishment. I suppose it would still give people something to "do" during a long or quiet round.

I think adding some goals never hurts. But what should be prevented is that people would get forced into achieving the goal.

this is never my intention. The project should be something normal that people can work on together if they'd like that. It should add too the roleplay and calm atmosphere of an extended round, not force people into hectic and tense RPless "you must do this" moments.

Thats why i would also keep the projects from being combat based

Maybe some random antags that don't have to kill and shouldn't kill(hopefully), minor antags ( steal stuff like food or a large amount of work equipment that nobody will miss, frame people, injury someone without killing them, and the list could go on , these are just off the top of my head, do petty crimes for their own personal gain), while they are not obligated to do them and they do not get any special items.

this is never my intention. The project should be something normal that people can work on together if they'd like that. It should add too the roleplay and calm atmosphere of an extended round, not force people into hectic and tense RPless "you must do this" moments.

Thats why i would also keep the projects from being combat based

Sounds fun to me, i am in. I am curious to see if we could actually get the new Station going. (The one connected with the engineering shuttle). It has Atmos tanks and a place for A engine and AI. It should be possible if everyone would pull together.

Maybe some random antags that don't have to kill and shouldn't kill(hopefully), minor antags ( steal stuff like food or a large amount of work equipment that nobody will miss, frame people, injury someone without killing them, and the list could go on , these are just off the top of my head, do petty crimes for their own personal gain), while they are not obligated to do them and they do not get any special items.

This is specifically not what I would like to see because it would just become a basic traitor round light, What i would like to see is a gamemode where the crew works together towards something withouth antags being there to stop their progress.

Yeah, I didn't make a great point when I said I liked the paranoia and suspicion; but it's mostly to prevent people from metagaming. If noone sees the report, they're going to know there aren't any traitors, so paranoia significantly ramps down which means there'll be less conflict between crew; so supplementary jobs such as security (break-ins, fights, screams of murder attempts), medical (healing, death, viruses, surgery) and engineering (sabotage, break-ins, deathforts) will have less to do. This game's driving force is paranoia and suspicion, and there's none of that if the crew are outright told there's nobody out to kill them.

Sounds fun to me, i am in. I am curious to see if we could actually get the new Station going. (The one connected with the engineering shuttle). It has Atmos tanks and a place for A engine and AI. It should be possible if everyone would pull together.

I've heard stories of past rounds where the admins have actually successfully gotten people to work on the construction site/station. I tried once and unfortunately didn't get many people interested, and was working on a concept for a round-type based around this that involved some minor antags who pop up mid-round (auto-traitor style) with objectives geared towards stalling or reversing progress.

As for those atmos tanks on the construction site, I've managed to get most of that station to like 68.1kPa one night. The AI rooms, bridge, medbay, and most of the maintenance tunnels weren't pressurized, but the hallways, library, atmos (duh), and some of the other areas were pressurized. It is a bit time consuming, but gets quite a bit faster for each additional person working on site. Having an active telescience operator helps in the event of emergency return and/or supplies delivery.

EDIT: Oh, and I've been playing around with trying to add departmental/job goals to more than just Robotics. Like for cargo/mining, possibly something like "return 100 supply points worth of materials", or "prepare 15 enchiladas and 15 tacos" for the chef and botanist (Mexican Monday/Taco Tuesday). Obviously some jobs/departments like Security would have a harder time of creating reasonable/fair objectives (no one wants "brig 5 people" objective), so I'll be posting a topic for ideas to see what could possibly be added.

EDIT: Oh, and I've been playing around with trying to add departmental/job goals to more than just Robotics. Like for cargo/mining, possibly something like "return 100 supply points worth of materials", or "prepare 15 enchiladas and 15 tacos" for the chef and botanist (Mexican Monday/Taco Tuesday). Obviously some jobs/departments like Security would have a harder time of creating reasonable/fair objectives (no one wants "brig 5 people" objective), so I'll be posting a topic for ideas to see what could possibly be added.

I have also thought about this and noticed that additional security jobs would be very difficult, but on the other hand, security has already to much to deal with and don't really need anything more to do. Maybe security should be counted successful if all or a certain number of antags fail.

Edit:

What would be possible for security are jobs like, "The station blueprints have been stolen, retrieve them". This could be triggered sometime after an antag interacted with the blueprints.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use